Does anyone know - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Thumbs up

Does anyone know if the factories sell new gutted campers? I see you can order them loaded, but wonder if there is a way to just get a shell/axle with nothing else added??

I tried calling casita (closest factory to me) and they were already closed for the day so I thought I would ask here...

April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Apparently Escape does. Casita doesn't seem to like to do custom work, and it is really custom to fool around with the standard closets and cabinets because in some cases they are part of the trailer's rigidity.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Only way to really know is to contact them: Scamp 800.346.4962

Or you can contact Scamp on line as well with questions:

http://www.scamptrailers.com/ContactUs.aspx

Casita has an email address:

casita1-Do Not Post Email Addresses-airmail.net

after csita1 insert an "at" symbol between airmail.net

or find the email casita here: http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/home.html
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #4

I was thinking it would be fun to create my own lay out inside an empty shell (I like to be crafty like that ), but if the add in's are part of the structure to hold it together I could see that being a problem. I know you can order a "kit" Burro with only some of the parts installed, but it's only $1000 less than a fully built one. If they offered it for less money I would go that rout, but if I am going to spend $9000+ on a trailer, I don't see the point in having to build it myself when I can get a nice built one for close to the same price... I am sure there are others out there that enjoy doing the work and saving $1000 is def. a good thing, but I wouldn't go that rout myself in that situation.

anyway, I am still fishing around, since I have not found anything yet, or commited to anything, I want to explore all my options.

My boyfriend of 4 years (Kirk) who is sharing this experience with me kind of wants to build something
himself, but being new to the travel trailer world, I have worries about that not only taking a long time, but not being as solid and long lasting as we need. I don't doubt his skills, just our limited know how on road worthy campers. I see the fiberglass shell as a safe bet, it's not going to just fall apart, unless something major causes damage. At least for our first one, until we get the hang of it.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
I know you can order a "kit" Burro with only some of the parts installed, but it's only $1000 less than a fully built one.
You cannot order a new Burro of any kind any more. The company went [b]out of business in 2000 and it's phantom website is still in operation, confounding many newbies.

Burro Is Extinct Link
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #6

Ah, yes, a newbie indeed...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Scamp has sold a "blank slate." It had the closet across from the door and the "door pillars" however. Something has to hold the roof up! Dan Landt, owner of the Blank Slate Scamp bought his from a guy who had ordered it from Scamp. The fella was a construction worker that needed to sleep during the day. His 16' Scamp didn't even have any windows!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #8

Well, I definitely think it is worth a phone call... durring business hours this time.

I will report back with what I find out.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
L K at the Trillium site, they seem to sell frames, shells etc.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #10

I will definitely consider looking into that. Aren't they based out of Canada and soon California? I am starting with Casita because they are near Dallas, so it would only be a 5 hour drive for us to pick up. That is if they are willing to work with us, it seems to be a simple request to me, getting a bare bones unit with as little inside as structurally possible. Less work for them. But I don't have high expectations at this point. It would be awesome to have a new shell/axle and gaskets. I think we could come up with the rest. We know a guy who used to build rv's years ago that can help us find what we need locally.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
I will definitely consider looking into that. Aren't they based out of Canada and soon California? I am starting with Casita because they are near Dallas, so it would only be a 5 hour drive for us to pick up. That is if they are willing to work with us, it seems to be a simple request to me, getting a bare bones unit with as little inside as structurally possible. Less work for them. But I don't have high expectations at this point. It would be awesome to have a new shell/axle and gaskets. I think we could come up with the rest. We know a guy who used to build rv's years ago that can help us find what we need locally.
You'll probably find it will be a good bit less expensive to buy an older model and gut it, then put it back together the way you want it, which is what many of us here have done. There are normally quite a few trailers over your way and there have been a number of "good buys" in your area over the last year. They'll come along shortly if ya keep watchin. It is a very good time of year over the next few months to purchase.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #12

Yeah, I expect we will end up with a used one, I am just curious to see what the factories tell me. That way I can post about it in case other people are interested too. I would rather not have to do a lot of work aside from general fixing up and decorating, but if need be I will roll up my sleeves and get dirty too. I found a Scamp in San Antonio, but it is a little more expensive than we have set aside right now. I know in time the right one will find us, but I am still satisfying my curiosity. I feel like a kid in a candy store, I never knew I had such a passion for fiberglass eggs
Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
snip.... It would be awesome to have a new shell/axle and gaskets. I think we could come up with the rest. ...end snip
Surfing the net i have seen people make RV's out of cargo trailers. You know like those enclosed ones that are white at lowes and home depot. They are built strong. They usually only put one small window in it though. ALso, There is a tear drop trailer forum (i forget where) people build their own tear drops. Some are pretty good size too. Those might be two more options for you and kirk to ponder... might be a way to keep the price under ten grand.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Ken,

My brother-in-law's brother (does that make sense?) has done just that - took a cargo trailer, added a bed in the front, made some screen doors that velcro in for the 2 exterior doors, put in a couple stock cabinets from the local big box store, some electric work for lights, and he's snug as a bug. He and his wife use this form of trailer all summer long in Northern Michigan to escape their waterfront home in the Florida heat.

It's fiberglass, so I don't give him a hard time about it...because the way the have it all set up, it is pretty cool...I wouldn't give up my 16ft VT for it, but they have it fixed up nice.
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #15

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Does anyone know if the factories sell new gutted campers? I see you can order them loaded, but wonder if there is a way to just get a shell/axle with nothing else added??

Hi April

EggCamper sells a kit version of their 17' FGRV. It is a double wall with the galley, dinette etc. molded into the inner wall but no appliances and no electrical/plumbing installed. It did have all exterior running lights and a battery for the breakaway system so it was ready to tow. Empty weight on mine when I picked it up at the factory was 1506 lb.

Before I bought the EggCamper I called Casita and Scamp asking about an empty unit (I didn't try any of the Canadian companies). Both told me nothing like that was available.

As Donna D. has mentioned in previous posts you could use an "empty egg" as a hard shell tent for camping while you decide how to build out the interior. This would give you a chance to attend a few rallies to get lots of ideas on ways to personalize your unit.

One caution. Don't expect to save a bunch of money by building out your own unit. Unless you have all the appliances, water tanks, wire, plumbing parts and a fair collection of tools on hand you will probably break even in the long run versus the cost of a new fully equipped unit. You should also have some experience with plumbing, electrical and carpentry under your belt before you start or be willing to do a lot of reading in the do-it-yourself aisle of your local library. On the other hand, you could be camping while you complete the buildout and enjoying each new convenience as you install it. That's what I've been doing.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #16

Thanks for all the advice! We had considered the box trailer method, but so far everything I have found has either been just as expensive empty, and/or too heavy to start with. We also considered the teardrop, but we plan to basically live out of our trailer once we start our move, for a few months anyway, so being realistic, I don't want to have a "coffin" sized camper to have to hang out in for that long of time. We really do need something that we can spend time in during bad weather and have room for our extra stuff. Because my car only pulls 1500lbs (according to the book) we have to keep it as light as possible. So I have narrowed my search down to the 13' fiberglass shell campers. Enough room to spend time in, but still small enough to pull with our extra stuff in there. I am sure if this drags out for a few more months, we will have saved a bit more money and will be able to raise the cap of what we can spend. One of my concerns was having enough time with the trailer (at home) to really find out what needs to be worked on before we get out on our month+ venture to the NW.
I am trying to be as safe as possible, so finding a used trailer that may end up having a bad axle or something down the road is also a concern. We are not mechanics, so we may accidentally overlook something that could cause us trouble once in use.
If we were able to find just the shell/axle empty, we probably would not try to fill it in exactly as the prefabs are designed. We would find more creative ways to use the space for our needs. I already have 3 full sized 4" memory foam matresses at home, lots of cussions and pillows and we have one of the igloo icechest fridges that only pull 100watts to run that is the same size as most rv units. But again I must say my expectations are low on getting an empty factory shell, as several people have mentioned to me that they won't do it that way.

I just like to explore all my options, so keep the ideas flowing!! We are an open book right now. And again THANK YOU for the help!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 4500 and 17 ft Eggcamper
Quote:
Because my car only pulls 1500lbs (according to the book) we have to keep it as light as possible. So I have narrowed my search down to the 13' fiberglass shell campers.
UUMMMM! You can pull 1500#, which is the dry weight of many of the eggs. By the time you build any cupboards, etc. out of wood, the weight really adds up. Sometimes a small, used trailer weighs less than one that has been retro-fitted. Just my 2-cents' worth!
Vi Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #18

Quote:
UUMMMM! You can pull 1500#, which is the dry weight of many of the eggs. By the time you build any cupboards, etc. out of wood, the weight really adds up. Sometimes a small, used trailer weighs less than one that has been retro-fitted. Just my 2-cents' worth!
that may be true...but the dry weigh you mentioned includes all the guts as well doesn't it? anyway, I don't think the factories are going to work with me, I sent Casita an email asking about bare bones unit, and used units and they only responded about not having anything used. I never even got an answer about a shell.
If we do find one empty, we would not use heavy building materials, such as wood, I was even thinking of skipping the cabinet look all together, there are other methods of storage, and we are fairly creative people. I was also thinking of checking our local salvage yard for old rv parts that might work. In the long run it may not be cheaper, but that isn't the issue, we just don't have $5000 to dish out all at once right now, but do have a steady trickle of income so in time it wouldn't matter what we spent to fix a unit up, it's the big cost at once that is getting us. If this trend continues for a few more months our savings will continue to grow allowing us have a larger nut to play with

chances are we will find a good used one at some point down the road. Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
April, you will probably have better luck with Casita if you call rather than email. They're not at all into using computers.
--mark
Mark Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #20

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
April, you will probably have better luck with Casita if you call rather than email. They're not at all into using computers.
--mark
I'll second that. When I was doing my research I e-mailed them and didn't get an answer. Had to call to get any info.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote