does anyone use a trailer dolly to move your egg? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #1

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
does anyone use a trailer dolly to move your egg?

if so where did you get it and what is it rated? I see a lot rated to 600 and even 1000 and 2000. what do you think is the best one? I can't back up my egg to save my life... I try and am getting better but my brother suggested a trailer dolly to get it to exactly where I want it on a campsite and thought this would be a great idea. not sure what others think or have experienced.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Sorry cant help you in regards to what rating you need for the dolly but yes I have seen some folks use them.

Something I was taught that helped me a lot in regards to backing up was to put my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel - that way the trailer moves in the direction you move your hand. Practice is the key.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

Name: Stan Hansard
Trailer: 2004 13" Scamp
Tennessee
Dollys work great on level hard surface...not good where it is steep or rough ground.I have one made out of a hand truck.Don't worry about the ratings..your arms will take care of that
stanintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
This is what I use.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rol-50954.html

I got the dolly on kijiji for $40. The controls added $30. The battery (optional) $35. I am still not sure if I will bring it camping. I would have to find a good spot for it.

There are power dollies that push the trailer for you, but they are heavy, and I don't think they go camping.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i have an old lawn tractor that the mower deck was wore out. i use it to move trailers around the yard.

but really, take your trailer to your local highschool parking lot on the weekend and practice, practice, practice.
eventualy you are going to have to back it in somewhere,,,faking it with a dolly will not help you one bit then. might as well learn how to do it now, before you are stuck somewhere.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #6

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
OH I totally intend to learn to actually park it properly. I'd be crazy not to but I was just thinking of those hard to park spots like my back yard or maybe a tight fitting campsite.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We use a dolly and/or the EZ Tug (battery-powered) to move ours around the driveway, and around the side of the garage to its winter parking space on turf blocks and crushed shell. The dolly we got at Harbor Freight. The EZ Tug we bought online. The dolly works fine on the (mostly) level driveway; it doesn't work well on crushed shell and turf blocks, nor on a slight incline. It would probably work better though, on a lighter weight, smaller trailer.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use one to position my 1700 lb Scamp in it's home. Not a lot of maneuvering room, about 1 foot on each side. The one I have is the 600lb tongue weight one. I find that if I let the tires on the dolly get a bit low it's really hard to move the trailer. I thought about an electric one.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #9

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Indiana
Trailer Dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfn View Post
if so where did you get it and what is it rated? I see a lot rated to 600 and even 1000 and 2000. what do you think is the best one? I can't back up my egg to save my life... I try and am getting better but my brother suggested a trailer dolly to get it to exactly where I want it on a campsite and thought this would be a great idea. not sure what others think or have experienced.
I have a trailer dolly. I think my wife got it at Harbor Freight. This dolly is not very heavy duty. I have used it in our driveway with a popup camper, untility trailer and a 13' Trillium. I don't think you need anything heavy duty unless your trailer tongue weight is really heavy. The dolly might be a little tricky on steep slope.
gblacketor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have a Harbor Freight tongue dolly... have had it for a number of years now. Have gone through two sets of tires and those cost nearly as much as the flippin' dolly! BUT, I can move my 16 foot trailer around just fine on the asphalt pad (okay, so I grunt and groan a bit.. but I do, do it!). I'd think a 13 footer would be a snap on asphalt or concrete.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #11

Name: Johnnie
Trailer: Hi Lo
Michigan
I just purchased one but haven't used it yet. I have a 15ft. Hi Lo that weights around 2500 lbs and a tongue weight of 300 lbs. I put it in my garage and I have found that small trailers are harder to back up than large trailers. That has been my experience. I have put it in my garage a couple of times and the drive way ended up being covered with rubber from my truck tires from the maneuver.

I purchased a dolly from Northern Tool and Equipment. It has three wheels two 16", a steerable 10" wheel and an adjustable height ball. It has a maximum tongue weight of 1000 lbs. The one from Harbor Freight is much cheaper and will handle a tongue weight up to 600 lbs. It has two wheels and I don't believe it has an adjustable ball height. At my age, I always look for equipment that makes up for my age. The three wheels sold me.
Johnnie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I also have the Harbor freight dolly. I have a 1/2" per foot slope into the garage and have to get some speed up to get my 13' scamp in, but it roles very easy. I haven't had to replace the tire yet, but I've only had it a year.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #13

Name: Fred
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Johnnie J,
How has the trailer dolly from Northern Tools worked out for you. I was considering purchasing one myself. I liked the 16" solid tires that it has on it, plus the third wheel.

Red Dog
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Johnnie J,
How has the trailer dolly from Northern Tools worked out for you. I was considering purchasing one myself. I liked the 16" solid tires that it has on it, plus the third wheel.

Red Dog
You can pay as much or little as you like but the ones with 10" pneumatic tire are all about the same, in my opinion. I didn't see any with solid tires.
I use mine to move the trailer into it's stay at home nest. (a narrow covered car port). The dollies are way to bulky for me to carry to campgrounds. I've learned to back the trailer into where I want it. I could back it into the it's nest but wife gets panicy and starts yelling, at that point I unhook and use the dolly. It still requires muscle power.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #15

Name: Fred
Trailer: Casita
Texas
LOL! Thanks for your reply. I chuckled at your comments about your wife panicking!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I have a Harbor Freight dolly, 600# capacity, small(?) pneumatic tires. Originally got it to drag a utility trailer around our 10 acre property to do clean-up, pruning, brush removal, etc. Beats dragging a wheelbarrow back and forth a dozen times. Now I find it useful to get the Scamp into and out of her parking spot. Have to air up one of the tires regularly. Is it handy? Yes. Could I live without it? Yes. Would I take it camping with me? NO! Would I buy another one just for the Scamp? Probably not. But it is fun!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #17

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I have the harbor freight trailer dolly for the Scamp and I love it. My trailer is parked on side of garage when home and due to limited space is never get that backed in with my truck. The dolly makes short work of it, but I don't take it camping with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #18

Name: Anne
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I have a trailer dolly from eTrailer that seems very similar to Harbor Freight. Cost less than $60. I park the trailer in a narrow space beside my son's garage that requires an s curve around a shrub. The surface is bare dirt with some humps that we both push to get over. The dolly works fine and makes the trailer easy to move. The tire on the dolly did seem low last time and we needed more effort to move it. I find it indispensable for my set up. It has a 1 7/8 inch ball but works fine with my 2 inch hitch.
I saw a picture of a four wheeled dolly like is used to work under a car rigged with plywood to support the tongue jack of a trailer. I wonder how that would work as it seems more portable.
Fire-N-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote