does EVERYONE do most of the work on their campers or am i the only one... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #15

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
"Also was there an issue in the trailer before you switched cars?"

no-except once the battery in the camper drained the battery of the truck i pulled it with...this was the TV i had before the rav

the word i meant to say was :inverter" sorry-i need to get someone i trust-i am just going to get all confused again.

i wish i didnt have to sell my silverado...it is all so complicated now. i just want to get on the road.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #16

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
terry-i registed but they still wont let me see it...maybe it takes awhile-thx for help
I checked the link and it's good. Perhaps the moderator has to approve you first.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #17

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
OK
Well I don't know where to start sort of?

If the Trailer Battery drained the truck battery was this while you were driving?
If so then something in the trailer is drawing a lot of power and instead of the truck battery charging the trailer the trailer drained the truck.

If you even have an inverter all they would need to do to see if it was part of the problem is disconnect the inverter and see if the trouble persists?
If they can't do this or know this then I would certainly find a different shop.
I think somehow though that you may not be hearing them exactly?

You certainly could have a short or shorts inside causing problems but again all they will need to do to start is disconnect each load from the converter and see which ones are a problem.

Is this an RV dealer?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #18

New Hampshire
the word is "inverter"
Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Apparently this is a diagnostic problem where they are trying to locate what is wrong. Some people are good at diagnosing problems, others not so good, but regardless it can take time, especially with wiring that is run in inaccessible areas. And it comes down to time that is charged by the hour. It does sound like a shorted wire problem that may be difficult to find. I've had the situation with freight trucks or trailers where I just had to start cutting wires to locate the problem, then more time to repair it.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
the word is "inverter"
Probably converter..

Once you get through all this and everything is working properly the upkeep is pretty easy and minimal.

I've had my 2006 since late December 2005. Major maintenance issues:
Replaced the battery after 5 years, it would no longer hold a charge. That should be expected every 5 to 7 years. Cost = $60-$90
Had the wheel bearings inspected and repacked along with having the brakes adjusted 4 times. Cost = $80 to $100 each time.
Replaced tires after 5 years. Cost $250.00 to $300.00

Those are reoccurring maintenance costs

Misc other items like wax to keep it pretty, loose screws, replace door latch, etc. all small stuff. Maybe $200 over almost 8 years.

Average annual upkeep cost. Estimating high about $150/year.

The only thing I've had a shop do is pack the wheel bearing, adjust the brakes, and replace the tires (all 3).

Keep it clean, keep the battery charged, take care of little things as they come up and that trailer will give you many many years of being a happy camper.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #21

New Hampshire
byron-my battery cost 180-was yours no maintenance/gel?

the word IS inverter

thx for $ info...less than my shih tzu's up keep. guess its worth it.

ed-the 2nd shop already determined it is not the inverter...it is probably a short.

i think i posted that earlier.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #22

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
byron-my battery cost 180-was yours no maintenance/gel?

the word IS inverter

thx for $ info...less than my shih tzu's up keep. guess its worth it.

ed-the 2nd shop already determined it is not the inverter...it is probably a short.

i think i posted that earlier.
I purchased will continue to purchase standard flooded cell batteries. I don't see enough advantage of gell or no/maintenance batteries.

Inverter = A device that use 12 Volt DC to create 120 Volt AC.
Converter = A device the uses 120 Volt AC to create 12 Volt DC.

Most trailer have a converter so that when connected to 120 AC your battery will charge and 12 Volt DC is supplied to 12 Volt devices.

An Inverter is usually an add on that allows provides 120 Volt AC for use of small 120 Volt devices, like charging your laptop and cell phones.

If it was me I'd really want to be sure there was an inverter in that trailer, if not I'd be heading for a different shop rapidly. Almost all trailers have a converter built in, few have an inverter built in.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #23

New Hampshire
i know both shops said inverter...all i remembered was the "I" maybe some other casita 17' FD ppl will chime in...
Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #24

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
i know both shops said inverter...all i remembered was the "I" maybe some other casita 17' FD ppl will chime in...
There is nothing specific to an FD Casita about your problem I think but I do have a FD also.

It would not be every Casita that has an Inverter which is why Byron and I both wonder if that is really what they told you about?

If it is an Inverter you have then as I said before it would be easy to disconnect and see if the trouble persists.

Your trailer does have a Converter which is where the shore power connects when you plug the trailer in at home or at a campsite. The lights and other 12vdc loads in the trailer connect to the Converter which takes the shore 120vac power and turns it into 12vdc power again as Byron said.

The Converter is also where your 120vac devices are connected and there are circuit breakers that protect this not fuses.

So if the shop said fuses are blowing then they must have meant 12vdc fuses and they would start one at a time testing circuits to find the problems and fix as they go.

It should be straightforward but time also adds up and it could end up being a little pricey.

Hope this helps clear it up a little.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #25

New Hampshire
i took him the diagram today and now i am learning more...it is really only one fuse acting up and the lights or plugs (i forget ) around the bottom of the camper are not working. he seemed to know what he was doing. its so much easier to talk to the tech who is doing the work...stuff gets lost when it goes from one to another to another

they dont work weekends and it is getting buggy around here and i really hope it will get done monday
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #26

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm late to the party, but back to your original question about doing most of the work. I'm a pull and replace kinda person. IF (for instance) a 110v plug has gone bad, I can disconnect it and replace it. I can replace "P' traps and remove/replace black/gray gates, handle a rivet gun, replace snap caps, etc. Pull windows and reseal. Replace lights with another kind/brand, etc. What I DON'T DO is propane lines. I have replaced the regulator and tank... but running new lines... NEVER. There are somethings worth paying for IMHO.

Everything I've done in the past 10 years saves me money and empowers me to continue to learn how to take care of my trailer. This forum is a life saver and provides me with information to at least try.

Has anyone ever mounted a new axle with a hot glue gun? JUST KIDDING!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #27

New Hampshire
well i'm just gonna have to feel good about feeding the economy i guess...i think i found the right shop.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
well i'm just gonna have to feel good about feeding the economy i guess...i think i found the right shop.
Don't feel like you're the only one KAYAK.
I did all my own work no matter what it was years ago.
But now I am not physically able to do much. So it's okay
to rely on others except for the cost in many cases. But that's okay, I guess.

As my wife tells me, "When it's done, it's done."

I took my riding mowers to a shop last winter for the first time in my life.
I used to have my own repair shop. While I was there a fellow brought in
an old chain saw, described his problem. I diagnosed it in the chair, the
repair guy looked at it and said, "Yep, that's the problem." But I'd still have
to have some one else repair my stuff too. And I ALWAYS hated when people
brought in equipment with electrical problems. It can be anything. But I
never charged for my ignorance. They paid me for what I knew, not what I
learned.