does EVERYONE do most of the work on their campers or am i the only one... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
does EVERYONE do most of the work on their campers or am i the only one...

who has to go to rv repair shops?

in general, what will a camper cost me for general maintenance a year. this is a 2007 with very few miles on it. and i wont be going many miles.

i had no problems with anything working until i started to use the brake controller and replaced a battery that froze in the winter.

now there are the dreaded "electrical problems". i know enough about cars to be worried. the new shop has put a few hours into diagnosing the problem and cant find it so wants my permission to continue.

they did say the brakes and wheel bearings etc are all in good shape and that is nice to hear.

but i dont know how to proceed with this "electrical problem."

I JUST WANT TO GET ON THE ROAD ALREADY!!!!!
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Can you describe the "electrical problems"? Our Casita electrical systems are fairly simple and I have a hard time believing that a shop can't figure out something after a few hours of work.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #3

New Hampshire
so nice of you to reply so soon

what he said so far is:

1. the last shop cleaned out where the old battery froze and made a mess but this shop had to clean up the connections(?)
2. they found a few lights didnt work-i dont know why they checked this...but they went on to find 3 fuses had blown and when they replaced the fuses there were other problems they say are shorts
3. maybe a rodent chewed wires???

this camper is very clean. i never hear or smell rodents. spiders and bugs rarely get in.
and i was in and out of it late into fall and early spring.

4. he went online and couldnt find any info on the camper...he wants schematic of elec-says it might save me money.

i need to go over---all m papers might be in the camper or i may have to dig around in the house. is that a paper casita gives you when you buy it?

i probably have it but am in the middle of many problems right now so it will take awhile to find it.

maybe the rv guy will talk to you(?!?)

ron form nh on here referred me to the shop...i am having trouble contacting him cuz i cleaned out my mailebox and lost his exact name

thanks for any help. k.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
There is a book available on the internet for the Casita . The website says the book contains the 12 VDC and 120 VAC wiring schematics . I think the price was $39.99
I looked at the manual that comes with the trailer and the only wiring diagram I saw was for the wiring connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #5

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
You could first off do a visual inspection of the wiring starting at the 7 pin connector and work back. Don't overlook the tow vehicle either. Check or re-do all grounds. Look for chafing where wires may rub on the frame. If you have a test light check for voltage. If the problem is within the controller you may have to pay a technician to fix it or you could opt to replace it. Two hours is typically $200.00, so ask the tech what kind of time may be involved.
Good luck,
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #6

k, there's a (somewhat simplified) electrical diagram in Gene's manual over at the Casita Travel Trailer Forum here:

http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...owners-manual/

You'll have to sign up (for free) in order to download it. But to me, it still sounds a little fishy. It's not my role to talk to repairman but you should ask for a specific list of problems before letting him do any more work on the trailer.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I still don't really grasp what the problem is that you took it in to the shop for?

What was happening in the trailer that made you take it in?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #8

New Hampshire
thank you all.

ruscul-no way i can do any of this...

i will try to get free book

can anyone help me find ron? he lives close to me and knows the dealer...
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #9

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
3 blown fuses sounds unusual. Shorts on three branches at once would be extremely rare. If those circuits were all laced in a common area and a large metal object fell on the wires it could cause that, but it does not seem likely to happen. Very weird....
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #10

New Hampshire
this all started when i changed TV from rav 4 to taco. rav had a new hitch and break controller put on on it but then i realized it still couldnt tow the casita safely for me so i traded cars.

u haul did hitch and light wiring.

1st shop put in brake controller with new wiring...and said they rewired what u haul did wrong (so something like that...honest...i dont understand and dont want to bad mouth anyone)

bottom line 2 shops were involved in wiring.

when i traded cars toyota took all the new wiring out. and put brake controller in my new TV

so lots of hands in the pie.

second shop was replacing a 6 yo battery that i let freeze in the camper. they got to a point where they couldnt attach all battery wires w/o sparks. thought it was interceptor problem. they werent trained to do that so sent me to the bigger shop

this shop says not an interceptor problem...maybe a short caused by rodent

thx for help

elec is complicated. i know that. maybe my son will talk to shop for me. he doesnt know campers but he knows cars. hes far away tho.

anyway -thx for help...
Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
3 blown fuses sounds unusual. Shorts on three branches at once would be extremely rare. If those circuits were all laced in a common area and a large metal object fell on the wires it could cause that, but it does not seem likely to happen. Very weird....
Russ
I have to second Ruscal's theory . How often do you blow 3 different fuses in your house . Somewhere these circuits are bundled (grouped) together and were physically damaged or were attacked by rodents . You could isolate the circuits (conductors) from the converter and test them with an ohm meter for grounds or shorts . Chipmunks chewed into the wiring harness in my wife's vehicle causing multiple shorts . It may take longer to find the spot where the wires are damaged then to repair them
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #12

I am not trying to be a smart-ass but what is an Intercepter?

Really I think maybe you are trying to say something else?

Also was there an issue in the trailer before you switched cars?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #13

New Hampshire
terry-i registed but they still wont let me see it...maybe it takes awhile-thx for help
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #14

New Hampshire
i probably go the word wrong...
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #15

New Hampshire
"Also was there an issue in the trailer before you switched cars?"

no-except once the battery in the camper drained the battery of the truck i pulled it with...this was the TV i had before the rav

the word i meant to say was :inverter" sorry-i need to get someone i trust-i am just going to get all confused again.

i wish i didnt have to sell my silverado...it is all so complicated now. i just want to get on the road.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
terry-i registed but they still wont let me see it...maybe it takes awhile-thx for help
I checked the link and it's good. Perhaps the moderator has to approve you first.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #17

OK
Well I don't know where to start sort of?

If the Trailer Battery drained the truck battery was this while you were driving?
If so then something in the trailer is drawing a lot of power and instead of the truck battery charging the trailer the trailer drained the truck.

If you even have an inverter all they would need to do to see if it was part of the problem is disconnect the inverter and see if the trouble persists?
If they can't do this or know this then I would certainly find a different shop.
I think somehow though that you may not be hearing them exactly?

You certainly could have a short or shorts inside causing problems but again all they will need to do to start is disconnect each load from the converter and see which ones are a problem.

Is this an RV dealer?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #18

New Hampshire
the word is "inverter"
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Apparently this is a diagnostic problem where they are trying to locate what is wrong. Some people are good at diagnosing problems, others not so good, but regardless it can take time, especially with wiring that is run in inaccessible areas. And it comes down to time that is charged by the hour. It does sound like a shorted wire problem that may be difficult to find. I've had the situation with freight trucks or trailers where I just had to start cutting wires to locate the problem, then more time to repair it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
the word is "inverter"
Probably converter..

Once you get through all this and everything is working properly the upkeep is pretty easy and minimal.

I've had my 2006 since late December 2005. Major maintenance issues:
Replaced the battery after 5 years, it would no longer hold a charge. That should be expected every 5 to 7 years. Cost = $60-$90
Had the wheel bearings inspected and repacked along with having the brakes adjusted 4 times. Cost = $80 to $100 each time.
Replaced tires after 5 years. Cost $250.00 to $300.00

Those are reoccurring maintenance costs

Misc other items like wax to keep it pretty, loose screws, replace door latch, etc. all small stuff. Maybe $200 over almost 8 years.

Average annual upkeep cost. Estimating high about $150/year.

The only thing I've had a shop do is pack the wheel bearing, adjust the brakes, and replace the tires (all 3).

Keep it clean, keep the battery charged, take care of little things as they come up and that trailer will give you many many years of being a happy camper.