Dog Dilemma - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #41

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
I don't dislike any dogs based on size, some just get on my crap list for behavior, but I blame the owners and not the dogs!
I also dislike loud kids, BMX bikers terraforming the campsite next to mine (at Chilliwack Lake), loud drunks and people that only see things in black and white and never see the grey.
My feelings are if dogs aren't allowed off leash, then they don't go off leash, period.

At the same time, if they're behaving, I'm not going to complain about it. Unfortunately, many pet owners have a different idea of acceptable, compared to non pet owners. To me, that's leaving a pet unattended in a trailer. You have no idea what it's doing while you're gone.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When we camp with our dog, and our dog barks at other animals, or people, it annoys me. I'm not so much irritated by the other dogs walking by, as by my dog.
But, my neighbor's cat killing birds in my yard. That really annoys me.
Just thought I would fan the flames.
PS free Beagle to good home....
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #43

Kansas
I fully agree with you on the cat thing. I have three, they stay locked up, unless I'm in the yard with them, and even then, they usually get stuck in the cage while they're out.

I wish other cat owners thought the same way, I'm getting tired of my front door smelling like cat pee when I come home from work.

I hate the "they're cats, they're meant to roam" argument. Mine are perfectly happy beating each other in the house.

I have cats due to aforementioned dog problems. Give them a full feeder (12lbs), full waterer (3 gallons), 3 litterboxes, they're good for as long as I'm gone. They've hung out 17 days on their own, house was fine, they were fine.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #44

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Perhaps another thread could address people and their pets on vacation via a survey. It may be interesting to see the results.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #45

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Here's an example of the difference...kansas rules:

1. Pets must always be restrained by a camper, cage, hand-held leash, or tethered chain no longer than 10 feet. They are not allowed on swimming beaches or swimming areas that are delineated by buoys or other markers or in public buildings or structures. Dogs participating in authorized activities or assisting the visually or hearing impaired are not subject to these restrictions.
In kansas they can be left alone.
In Washington, there is at least one state park where they PROVIDE a place to tie dogs while you use the restroom.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #46

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Dog Run...

I know of at least one park in Oregon that has a fenced off area where you can exercise your dog. That's Waterloo Linn County park near Waterloo, Oregon.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #47

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
You have no idea what it's doing while you're gone.
Um.... yes, yes I do.

It is unfair to judge all dogs by the actions of a few (owners). How many non RVrs dislike or trailers being on the road because of the slow driving habits of some that impede travel. Should RVs be disallowed too?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #48

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Um.... yes, yes I do.

It is unfair to judge all dogs by the actions of a few (owners). How many non RVrs dislike or trailers being on the road because of the slow driving habits of some that impede travel. Should RVs be disallowed too?
So you constantly monitor your dog via video, every minute it's alone?

I'm not saying your dog isn't perfect every minute while it's alone, I'm just questioning how you know.

This is from another forum today:

Quote:
Big plus one
+1 For the shock collar.

A neighbor at a previous residence had a big loud dog. When owners (pack leaders) were home, the dog was quiet. I knew when they were not home sine the dog would bark non stop all day long. No kidding, the dog would bark so much the dog would go "horse."

I informed the neighbors of the problem. They said their dog never barked! And I could XX.

Next time they were gone, I called the city as it is a violation of city noise ordinances, over 10 minutes non stop. I said, come by any time, nine to fiver M-F, and listen in. They did and left a note. Neighbors said %#^*. Claimed city and neighbor harassing them 'cause "dog never barked." City came by several days later at a random time, confirmed the problem. This time city wrote that "next citation will be accompanied by a $250 fine. Subsequent citation $500, etc"
I thought my cats slept the whole time I was gone. It turns out they're quite interested in the neighbor, because the curtains keep moving and opening when he's in the backyard...they never do that when I'm home and he's outside.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #49

Old Bag was convinced that Charly, the beagle/slug cross, would just settle down and sleep in the trailer, which is what she does best. So, I relented.
Came back to the trailer and our neighbor informed us that the dog had cried and howled the entire time.
I win. Sort of.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #50

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Old Bag was convinced that Charly, the beagle/slug cross, would just settle down and sleep in the trailer, which is what she does best. So, I relented.
Came back to the trailer and our neighbor informed us that the dog had cried and howled the entire time.
I win. Sort of.
Exactly my point, and many people on the other forum posted that their dog just picked up the bad habit of barking at xxx out of the blue. One was sprinklers outside, one while tied up outside a store, etc.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:

So you constantly monitor your dog via video, every minute it's alone?

I'm not saying your dog isn't perfect every minute while it's alone, I'm just questioning how you know.
No need to monitor, I am confident he will behave well. He will not touch anything of ours, or get up on the bed without our permission. That said, it is a rare occasion that he would be alone in there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #52

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
Some of us are sneaky Jared I've spied on my dogs at home via webcam (ustream), and they sleep with occasional movement to a more comfortable spot or for a drink. The trailer is a chill zone that they treat like our bedroom at home, and even during races between their turns they'll pass out on the bed. I also make sure to exercise them and make them go to the bathroom before we leave them alone, for any length of time.
My cats on the other hand? Well two sleep and two go crazy. And it's not the ones we'd think based on their behavior while we're home! And we don't feed kibble, so we can't just leave them with a big bowl of food, so my Mom has been our savior this summer feeding them on our weekends away.

Jim sums it up for me! "It is unfair to judge all dogs by the actions of a few (owners). How many non RVrs dislike or trailers being on the road because of the slow driving habits of some that impede travel."
Old 08-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #53

Here's the crux of the problem Jim. I know your dog, Jasper, and I'm as confident as you are that he's not causing any problem. But, there are many other owners, just as confident as you are, and they are wrong.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #54

Kansas
I find likelihoods, but zero guarantees with animals. The cat that has slept with me for the last 7-8 years, just freaked, slashed my face, and ran off and hid under the desk when I yawned last night...obviously, something wasn't right to her, god knows what it was.

My sisters lab is the gentlest dog ever, from the day my nephew was born, it wouldn't do anything, no matter how much he might surprise or accidentally hurt her. She loved everybody, they joked about her being a worthless guard dog. One time when they went on vacation, they left her at home and asked a friend (that knew her well) to look in on the dogs. When he opened the door, her lips were wrapped so far around her head, all he could see was teeth. As soon as he said her name, she was slobbering all over him, though.

The point is, we can all assume what our animals will do from their past, but we can't guarantee any of it. Hence, why I prefer people don't have animals off-leash or unattended. I've been on the receiving end of the "perfect" pet before.

I'm sure some of them ARE perfect. I'm also sure that 75% of pet owners have their head buried somewhere.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Here's the crux of the problem Jim. I know your dog, Jasper, and I'm as confident as you are that he's not causing any problem. But, there are many other owners, just as confident as you are, and they are wrong.
I know what you mean, but these acts of denial are evident in many aspects of life. How many drivers that think they are perfect drivers are in fact much less so?

I know it is easier for those in charge to make rules based on the behaviour of the worst dogs. It is unfortunate that the rules can't be tuned to deal with the ones guilty of the bad behaviour.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #56

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know what you mean, but these acts of denial are evident in many aspects of life. How many drivers that think they are perfect drivers are in fact much less so?

I know it is easier for those in charge to make rules based on the behaviour of the worst dogs. It is unfortunate that the rules can't be tuned to deal with the ones guilty of the bad behaviour.
As with many things the numbers are too big to be able to not make rules. I have seen and heard of the dog rules being enforced more and more. One person was told that if they were caught not cleaning up after their dog they would be asked to the campground (NP). It's no different that driving rules, some obey, some don't. Those that don't get caught sooner or later.

In an attempt to reduce conflict when camped next to a dog owner I'll ask to make friends with the dog. Sometimes, not always, this works quite well to keep the dog from barking at me while sitting in my own camp site. The dog and it's owner are there so I try to make the best of the situation.

That doesn't mean I think that dogs should be there, but I can't control that they are.

The rules are there and need to be enforced. I think we'd all be happier, with exceptions, that would never be happy.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #57

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Some campgrounds do explicitly forbid unattended dogs, even inside RVs. I assume that the concern is with barking.

On the other hand...
I did a Google search for "us national park pet regulations", and read the rules as published by the National Park Service for the first two parks which appeared:
Pets - Glacier National Park
Pets - Yosemite National Park
Neither of these sets of rules would disallow leaving a pet unattended inside an enclosed RV.
The Yosemite site lists a kennel in the area.

Shenandoah (Pets - Shenandoah National Park) has somewhat ambiguous rules, but encourages pets and says "pet-friendly lodging is available."

The pet page for Gateway (Pets - Gateway National Recreation Area) doesn't describe rules for pets within the campground, but it does link to Code of Federal Regulations, Title 36, Section 2.15 "for more information on rules regarding pets in national parks".

I see nothing in the individual park rules or the federal regulation which globally prohibits leaving a pet inside an RV, even unattended.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #58

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Some campgrounds do explicitly forbid unattended dogs, even inside RVs. I assume that the concern is with barking.

On the other hand...
I did a Google search for "us national park pet regulations", and read the rules as published by the National Park Service for the first two parks which appeared:
Pets - Glacier National Park
Pets - Yosemite National Park
Neither of these sets of rules would disallow leaving a pet unattended inside an enclosed RV.
The Yosemite site lists a kennel in the area.

Shenandoah (Pets - Shenandoah National Park) has somewhat ambiguous rules, but encourages pets and says "pet-friendly lodging is available."

The pet page for Gateway (Pets - Gateway National Recreation Area) doesn't describe rules for pets within the campground, but it does link to Code of Federal Regulations, Title 36, Section 2.15 "for more information on rules regarding pets in national parks".

I see nothing in the individual park rules or the federal regulation which globally prohibits leaving a pet inside an RV, even unattended.
Within the past year I've been in at least 4 National Parks. All state in their rules pets are not to be left "unattended" at anytime and specificity not left in a vehicle or an RV. Granted those are only the Western National Parks and enforcement is certainly different for different parks. Much of the enforcement is left up to campground hosts. If the campground host has a dog, most rules will not be enforced. The only exception is picking up after your dog.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #59

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Within the past year I've been in at least 4 National Parks. All state in their rules pets are not to be left "unattended" at anytime and specificity not left in a vehicle or an RV. Granted those are only the Western National Parks...
So rules do vary by park, in contrast to the global declaration in the guide linked earlier. Regional trends like this are good to know about - helpful for those planning travel or deciding if travelling with their dog is practical.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
So rules do vary by park, in contrast to the global declaration in the guide linked earlier. Regional trends like this are good to know about - helpful for those planning travel or deciding if travelling with their dog is practical.
Quoting from my earlier link. "While pet regulations may vary somewhat from park to park, the standard policy in most national parks is that pets must be leashed or physically restrained at all times and pet leashes may be no longer than six feet in length. In addition, pets may not be left unattended, tied or physically confined."

I agree that it would be a good idea to know what the rules are before heading out to any National Park. Some allow dogs on some trails. Some don't. One of the one I was at allowed dogs on one trail the circled the campground, leashed of course. (Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument). All the ones I was at indicated in the rules that pets are not to be left unattended any place.
Practically speaking if you want to keep peace with your neighbors, keep you pet on a 6' leash, clean up after it, and keep it from barking and or fighting with other dogs.