Doggie First Aid kit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2002, 02:17 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Doggie First Aid kit

If it hasn't happened to you yet ... it's bound to happen.

A couple of trips ago, I had the trailer all hooked up ... and was picking Pam up directly from work.

While we waited outside Pam's school, Maggie, our dog, started given me her "I gotta go" look, so I leashed her up to talk a quick walk.

After she did her business, I lifted her back into the Suburban, only to find one of her paws dripping blood from a broken dew claw.

Because I carry a Doggie First Aid kit in the truck, it was a simple matter of getting the dog nail clippers out, cleaning up the broken shard of dew claw, then stop the bleeding by holding a pinch of Canine Styptic powder against the profusively-bleeding remaining stub of claw.

The whole incident ... from Maggie's "I gotta go" to stemming the flow of blood ... only lasted a couple of minutes ... just in time for Pam to get off work ... and us to go camping.

But if I hadn't been prepared ... well, we probably would have had to go back home to deal with things.

I learned a long time ago, that in addition to traveling with a Human first aid kit ... if you have a pet, you should travel with a Pet First Aid kit.

Much of the stuff you already have in your Human first aid kit can do double duty on your pet ... but some of the "other" things you might want:

First and foremost, have your veterinarian's number (both regular and emergency).

1-888-426-4435 is the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center

Some specific items for your pet first aid kit:

Dog nail clippers

Styptic powder or pads (like CutStop).

Pet Pectate, or similar product used to treat minor diarrhea.

325 mg tablets of canine or buffered aspirin (for dogs only).

25 mg capsules of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) for allergic reactions to insect bites. Consult your veterinarian before using.

Itch Stop or a similar product for insect bites.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:36 PM   #2

dog first aid

Don't forget the eye wash, I have a pug and his eyes are the first to get to where he's going.

Old 12-16-2002, 02:42 PM   #3

Most dogs come equipped with a First Aid Kit which they carry in their mouths...

Pete and similiarly-equipped Rats

Old 12-16-2002, 02:56 PM   #4

Doggie First Aid

>>Most dogs come equipped with a First Aid Kit which they carry in their mouths...

Yep, they do, Pete. However, there are a few times when they are not quite able to take care of it themselves. I really like the Benadryl. I keep a box of it on hand for my way too curious pooch. If Charles hadn't mentioned it, it probably would not been on the camping trip where he'll need it the most. He has a propensity for finding not so welcome things. Like the ground bees when he and I were walking one day. He was on a long lead and was sniffing around and put his nose where it didn't belong...at least according to the bee family. I just ended up out of breath from running like mad, but he ended up with a huge swollen eye. That was definitely a Benadry moment! Unfortunately, he still hasn't learned that there's certain things its better to stay out of.

Old 12-16-2002, 08:56 PM   #5

One more thing I thought of...

This may sound silly, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to include mosquito spray for your pet. We had a terrible bout of mosquitoes this year along with the West Nile Virus so we were loaded down with mosquito spray for both dogs and humans. Yes, I use Zodiac on my dog for fleas, ticks and mosquitoes but there were times when they were pretty bad. Didn't want to take any chances so we both got sprayed when we went out.

Old 12-17-2002, 07:28 AM   #6

Pet First Aid Kit

Most vets would be happy to make up a kit for your pets. The vet knows the animal and can suggest items not usually included in a first aid kit.
BTW a little brag here! Our Razberry Tootsipop just returned from shows in Texas and was undefeated at a four day show. She is now just one point from her championship.:cblob :cblob :cblob

Old 12-17-2002, 07:46 AM   #7

Congratulations

on a successful trip to Texas! I'm sure that one point will come easily! ;)

You're right about the vet. It was because of my dog's vet that I had the benadryl on hand for him when he got stung.

Old 12-17-2002, 09:33 AM   #8

Texas

Bill and Darline

Where in Texas. We are near Fort Worth . If you get anywhere around here let us know and we will try to get together.

Old 12-17-2002, 09:16 PM   #9

Texas

Nick and Marlene, it was Amarillo and the dates were the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th. The host club was the Pan Handle Kennel Club. Sorry we missed you.:wave :wave

Old 12-19-2002, 09:28 PM   #10

Woof! Thanks for the Reminder!

My husband and I are ramping up for our first ever season of trailering with dogs. We have two large dogs... actually, three now! We got our third just a few days ago. I'm going to send an email to our vet to see what he suggests should be in our kit.

Thanks Charles!

~ Mel
ps... the wonderdogs say Woof (thanks) too.:reye2

Old 12-20-2002, 08:18 AM   #11

Hi Mel!

Hi Mel!

We've found it's easily to duplicate the regular dog-maintenance stuff ... like dog brushes, leashes, harnesses, nail clippers, etc. ... and just keep them permanantly in the trailer or tow vehicle ... this way, nothing is forgotten.

In the beginning, there were several trips we either left the leashes at home ... or after the trip, left the leashes in the trailer when we took it back to the storage yard.

Much easier ... and less thought ... to just duplicate the basic stuff.

I'm almost embarassed to tell you that I also duplicate our dog's favorite squeeky toys and balls ... so that she'll always have a couple of her favorites no matter where she is (which also comforts her when we leave her in the trailer while we run errands, etc)

We also have a permanent wide-mouth plastic bottle in the trailer, in which we keep dog cookies.

We used to travel with two dogs, but had to put one down a year ago or so. Folks sometimes called us the Keystone Cops the way we all piled in and out of such a small trailer.

Old 12-20-2002, 06:11 PM   #12

dog water

I was told once that I shoud carry water for the dog, because changing them to different water might upset their stomach. anyone know if this is right or not. I have just always done it.

Old 12-20-2002, 07:50 PM   #13

Dog Water

That's interesting, Jana. Although my pooch hasn't been camping yet, he has traveled quite a bit. I always take water in the car for him, but never thought about for the entire trip. Usually, I just fill his bottle up where ever we stop. He even drinks bottled water on occasion....likes to drink out of those sports bottles. Still a little sloppy with it, so we have to work on it. Seems to matter more to him what it comes out of rather than what the water tastes like...well, he does prefer cooler water.

I've seen no ill effects from his drinking foreign water.

Old 12-21-2002, 07:13 AM   #14

Dog Water

We have had ill effects from our dogs drinking foreign water. We now carry drinking water for ourselves and for our two dogs.
At a dog show, what you don't need or want is a sick dog.:omy

Old 12-21-2002, 09:41 AM   #15

other water

well nice to know I'm not always off the deep end. thanks Darline. I think the bottled would work in a pinch. the dog I had when told this was a tea cup poodle. I think they are more susceptible because of their size, but just speculating.

Old 12-22-2002, 07:42 AM   #16

Dog Water

We usually carry water from home, but in a pinch, bottled water will do. The problem water we once had was from a well and boy oh boy was our doggie sick. Now we take no chances. :wave

Old 05-12-2003, 06:52 AM   #17

I always carry a bottle for the dog

Whether it is tap water or filtered and bottled, I always carry some for the dog if we'll be out and about. She'll drink ANYTHING, as noted by her preference for water straight from the Potomac!!! But I don't like to change it on her as we drive through a differnet area every day.

For the birds I also take no chances and have extra on hand for them.

Old 05-12-2003, 08:22 AM   #18

Dog first aid

We have four active dogs, three of them hunting dogs, so we have some experience with first aid! Out bird dogs are frequently ripping their ears or other tender parts on briars and if you have had that happen you know how hard it is to stop bleeding from a dog's ears. The best all-purpose first aid kit item I have found is called "EMT Gel" (available at Tractor Supply and other places, also on the 'net). It is a thick gel that comes in a tube. Squeeze it on and STOPS the bleeding, closes the wound, and disinfects it, too. It does the job of stitches for larger injuries, as well. Good stuff. Pricey but worth it.

Old 05-12-2003, 10:43 AM   #19

Dog First Aid

Robert,
We also have bird dogs and would like to get some of the EMT Gel.
What and where is Tractor Supply?:conf

Old 05-12-2003, 10:53 AM   #20

Tractor Supply is a farm store chain ... the gel is probably something for farmers to use on livestock.