Dogs and Scamping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Former Serro Scotty and Toyota Motor Home owner
Alabama
Dogs and Scamping

Okay...I don't officially own a 13' Scamp yet but I have talked to Wayne at the factory twice and been researching for a year. When it comes to camping with your dogs....I see some neat pictures on this site of people with their rigs and little fencing and their dogs content behind the fences. How do dog owners manage with their little companions on these trips? Is there good durable fencing for say, a 12 pound terrier? Where do you store the fencing? Do you sometime leave the campsite leaving the dog in the trailer (weather permitting of course)?
Redguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you come from a tenting background, it really isn't much different from what I can tell (I'm not a dog owner).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I have a 16 pound Chiwawa/Terrier that I travel with about half the time. I don't use the portable fence, just a leash/rope. When she was younger she got loose several time but this was generally just a time of excitement (she's a runner) and fun. As she is getting older (Girl is now 16 YO) she's not always a pleasant roommate.

I have left her in the Scamp for brief times, mostly at night, but taking care of her in very hot weather is a problem.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have started using cable tie outs instead of exercise pen fencing as they are lighter to carry and easier to set up and escape proof. But I used to use two metal expens. For small dog's there are plastic pens that are lighter but bulkier.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I'm not one for tying up dogs so I choose to make a yard at campsites for my Lily, an 11 lb. miniature poodle.

Lily is not a jumper so she has never tried to jump the fence which is 2 feet high. (In fact part of the yard fence at home is only 2 feet high which contains her.)

The fences come with 8 panels and I bought the 2ft x 2ft. I actually have two fences which I separated as follows:

1 - 2 panel
2 - 4 panel
1 - 6 panel

This gives me a varitey of options in how large or small of an area I want for Lily without jostling 2 - 8 panels around. I generally use the 2 panel, the 6 panel and 1 of the 4 panels. This makes a nice yard under the awning for Lily as well as for me. If I want to put the campsite table partially under the awning and within the fenced area I use all of the panels.

I was concerned about Lily getting out under the trailer so I made a fence using cheap cooling grates (cookie racks). I hooked them together with small hose clamps which act as hinges. The two that go across under the door are cut down so the door doesn't hit them.

I carry the fences in the Jeep, they don't take up much room.

Lily is not a barker, and Yes, I do leave Lily in the trailer when I leave the campsite, depending on the weather.
Attached Thumbnails
2008-6-29 High Cliff SP site 81 WI #2.JPG   2006-10-7 Waterloo Co Park site 32A OR.JPG  

2010-5-3 San Lorenzo Co Pk site 87  King City CA #2.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I'm not one for tying up dogs so I choose to make a yard at campsites for my Lily, an 11 lb. miniature poodle.

Lily is not a jumper so she has never tried to jump the fence which is 2 feet high. (In fact part of the yard fence at home is only 2 feet high which contains her.)

The fences come with 8 panels and I bought the 2ft x 2ft. I actually have two fences which I separated as follows:

1 - 2 panel
2 - 4 panel
1 - 6 panel

This gives me a varitey of options in how large or small of an area I want for Lily without jostling 2 - 8 panels around. I generally use the 2 panel, the 6 panel and 1 of the 4 panels. This makes a nice yard under the awning for Lily as well as for me. If I want to put the campsite table partially under the awning and within the fenced area I use all of the panels.

I was concerned about Lily getting out under the trailer so I made a fence using cheap cooling grates (cookie racks). I hooked them together with small hose clamps which act as hinges. The two that go across under the door are cut down so the door doesn't hit them.

I carry the fences in the Jeep, they don't take up much room.

Lily is not a barker, and Yes, I do leave Lily in the trailer when I leave the campsite, depending on the weather.
Is that second picture at Minden?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Is that second picture at Minden?
Nope, I didn't have the fence out at Minden, NE and they didn't have paved pads.

Photo 1 is High Cliff State Park, eastside of Lake Winnebago, WI
Photo 2 is Waterloo County Park - Waterloo, OR
Photo 3 is San Lorenzo County Park - King City, CA
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #8

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Camping with larger dogs (60+ pound Chow/Shep mix and/or 40+ pound Boykin Spaniel), we decided that fencing would not provide enough moving space. (We have considered portable invisible fencing as some camp neighbors once quite successfully used with a young and active Golden Retriever.) We usually use a very long lead and caribiner to attach the lead so it will swivel around the lantern pole or above ground grill in most parks. Mr. 2yax also purchased a heavy duty swiveling dog stake that was successful. They have more room to roam a bit and can still be close to us when we're using the canopy.

Unless we were off-grid where the air couldn't be used, we would be comfortable leaving either in the rig as neither are chewers nor barkers. Because neither of us are prone to be Outlet shoppers and generally prefer to explore rural/camping/kayaking venues, we choose to take them with us. Neither are bothered by being left in the car for short periods to eat or do a quick food/ice shopping run.

Although, we've not taken them at the same time yet, both love being camp dogs and all the extra attention and walking they get when we are camping. Both are very social and don't generally become upset when people walk by, come into camp or kids come by and want to pet the "puppies".

I've also camped with kittens who were halter and lead trained. Actually, we took them on a cross country trip when son was small. They were better behaved than the kids.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Our 42lb. English springer is a seasoned coast-to-coast camper. In regular campsites, we generally keep her on a coated 15-foot cable connected to a corkscrew stake. In more primitive areas, we string a nylon rope between trees, with a shorter lead sliding on a carabiner - this gives her a greater range (and no tangling issues).

If we need to leave the dog in our egg during the day, we try to park in a shady spot (keeping in mind that shade moves!), making sure that our FanTastic Fan is on so that the rising warm air is vented. In three years of coast-to-coast summertime camping, we've never had a problem.

BTW, our dog normally sleeps in a portable kennel box at home. When we camp, the same box goes in the back of our van, so she gets to sleep in her own bedroom wherever we go.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
[QUOTE=Redguitar;263368]Okay...I don't officially own a 13' Scamp yet but I have talked to Wayne at the factory twice and been researching for a year. When it comes to camping with your dogs....I see some neat pictures on this site of people with their rigs and little fencing and their dogs content behind the fences. How do dog owners manage with their little companions on these trips? Is there good durable fencing for say, a 12 pound terrier? Where do you store the fencing? Do you sometime leave the campsite leaving the dog in the trailer (weather permitting of course)?[/QUOTE

Skippy & I have RVed together for years. She is a fox terrier and a good camp dog. I clip her lead rope which is about 6 feet long to her and she just follows me around camp. Sometimes that lead gets caught under a wheel if she cuts the corner too close, but otherwise she seems happy to be following me wherever I go in camp. She is eleven years old, but has been that way for quite a few years. She is also a good watch dog, doesn't like anyone wandering into camp so she will either growl or bark, which I appreciate/ Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have a boston terrier that I camp with. When in camp, I hook him up on a soft cloth 12ft lead that is looped around the bottom of my table pedistal. This lets him go in and out of the trailer at will without my worring about him taking off. When I leave the trailer to go shower or etc, he gets closed inside. Disadvantage of camping with dog, is that I can't go places for long amounts of time and leave him in the trailer in case it gets hot or he gets barky.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:29 AM   #12

Name: Donna
Trailer: 1979 boler
Ontario
I have camped with 6 (yep 6) dogs, they actually travel better then me.
I use a portable fence, that is stored inside the boler when we travel.
All the dogs are happy to see new people and love the kids to stop by.
They all sleep inside the boler , they sleep on the bottom bunk.
I also take time to allow the dogs to be free around my camp-site
(one at a time) because a well trained dog is one that is welcomed anywhere.
Donna91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
She is eleven years old, but has been that way for quite a few years.
My wife uses the same trick. She is 39, but has been that way for decades.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #14

Alabama
Great ideas everybody; I appreciate hearing your experiences. Joy I think that is what I was looking for with the fencing. Might be a little bit to carry around but I like it better than a lead or a rope. Great pictures too - thanks.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #15

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
Ontario
May I ask what kind of dog you are getting?

Fyi, incase some aren't aware, don't ever tie out a greyhound...they reach high speeds in 3 strides, enough to break their necks. I just thought I'd mention that seeing that you are from Birmingham, where they have a race track and lots of greys.
Yamaha_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna91 View Post
I have camped with 6 (yep 6) dogs, they actually travel better then me.
I use a portable fence, that is stored inside the boler when we travel.
All the dogs are happy to see new people and love the kids to stop by.
They all sleep inside the boler , they sleep on the bottom bunk.
I also take time to allow the dogs to be free around my camp-site
(one at a time) because a well trained dog is one that is welcomed anywhere.
I assume these are not St. Bernards?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #17

Registry
Fencing is great if your dog cannot escape. I used small animal fencing to go under the back of the trailer (where the door is) as it was just the right size. But I had to keep jack in a crate if I used fencing and he is fine on a tie-out. Downside is having to monitor tangles with more than one dog.

If you google lightweight exercise pens you may fine some very nice light ones made. Only for for small dog's.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Actually, there are good quality, lightweight ex-pens and crates for large dogs too. Even more important as the weight increases with the size of the dog.
We travel with two Rhodesian Ridgebacks and they are well contained in either crates or pens.
We also leave them in the trailer on occassion. If hot we run a portable fantastic fan.

Most important consideration for how to contain your dog is to know your dog. Some cannot and should not be left in a soft crate or soft pen. You also need to consider whether your dog is a chewer or jumper and how high they will jump. Or, alternatively, how well trained they are to accept containment. Mine can jump but choose not to.

We use the "It's a Breeze" brand of crates and pens for our two. They each have an appropriately sized crate and we have two pens that we connect together into one large pen. It has bases and mesh covers for added security.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #19

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha_gurl View Post
May I ask what kind of dog you are getting?

Fyi, incase some aren't aware, don't ever tie out a greyhound...they reach high speeds in 3 strides, enough to break their necks. I just thought I'd mention that seeing that you are from Birmingham, where they have a race track and lots of greys.
No, not a greyhound. A little 12# terrier (see picture in avatar).
Old 08-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Camping with four dogs

I load up four dogs to go camping. I bring a large portable playpen, it folds flat when not in use, and is about four feet high. I put the three little dogs (1 dachshund, and 2 Chinese crested powder puffs in it at the camping site) and tie up the golden retriever. All four sleep in the trailer with us. My whole reason for a trailer is to have the company of the dogs. I like getting outside and walking and relaxing with the dogs. When we go swimming or kayaking, we put the dogs in the trailer with the air conditioner on.

I also bring citronella anti bark collars on trips with us. If they get too happy, I can make them quieter. It sprays citronella in their face, and quiets them down.
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote