Door Knockers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #1

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Door Knockers

We moved recently, and while I was able to park the Burro in the garage at the old place, the new garage door is too short to accept the trailer (I'll be remedying this in a few weeks by enlarging the garage doorway).

I've had two people knock on my door to ask about the Burro out front at the curb...total strangers who both ended up getting a look inside.

Anyone else have this experience? I mean, we're used to it while traveling, but at home?
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Tape a sign on or near your door: "No, the trailer is NOT FOR SALE." That should do it.

Or better yet, "5 Minute Trailer Tours: $5.00 Per Person"
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Yes, I've had someone knock on my door and say, "How much are you asking for it?" - as if the reason it's in the yard is it's for sale... despite there being no for sale sign AND that it had been parked there for months (except for when we had it out camping). Totally weird. (Understand we live in a semi-rural area, without any restrictions about keeping a trailer in the yard, etc.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Used to keep a sign in the window that just said..."No it's not". That answered a lot of questions but still got asked to show it.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #5

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I must confess - an elderly gentleman who lives across the street from my Mother, and whom I don't think even has a drivers license any longer, has a really cute little vintage Airstream (13'?) parked out front of his house, and we see him occasionally tinkering in and around it. I'd heard he and his late wife used to camp quite a bit before he lost her to some illness. My curiosity finally got the best of me, and I went over and asked him how long he had had the AS, his favorite camping trips, etc., and if he would mind letting me have a quick look inside at the layout. He spent the next 30 minutes showing me the inside of that tiny camper and pointing out everything little thing that his late wife had made or done to make it a special home on wheels for them (which I greatly enjoyed). I left convinced that his tinkering was really just an open invitation for people walking by to stop and visit and give him the chance to reminisce again about his late wife and the wonderful times they had together travelling with that little camper. So I guess one person's annoyance can be another person's desire. And I guess the trick is figuring out which person is which.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:48 PM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Great story Dale!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:44 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
We moved recently, and while I was able to park the Burro in the garage at the old place, the new garage door is too short to accept the trailer (I'll be remedying this in a few weeks by enlarging the garage doorway).

I've had two people knock on my door to ask about the Burro out front at the curb...total strangers who both ended up getting a look inside.

Anyone else have this experience? I mean, we're used to it while traveling, but at home?
Our trailer is beside the house under a carport. We moved here 4 years ago and have had several people leave notes, ring the door bell, and stop me when I'm outside asking how much. Our previous house was about 250' from the road and people still came back wanting to buy. Once guy even pulled out a pocked of bills showing me he had cash. I have given numerous tours while we've been at home. Nothing unusual about it, give a tour and enjoy the attention.

I believe any sign saying not for sale or something to that effect would be an invitation to thieves.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I love that story Dale! I bet you made the old man's day.

We were on our way home from picking up our Scamp at Backus. We no sooner set up camp at Ft McCoy, WI, when we were approached by a guy that asked to see our trailer. He stepped inside, took one look around, and offered to trade us for his brand new Aliner Classic. He was also on his way home after buying that. We laughed until we figured out he was serious. His trailer cost $2K more than ours. We made it clear that we were happy with our choice and he left.

I'm not sure what it is about these campers that make the owners look so approachable. Complete strangers just come up and start talking to us. It's kind of fun, eh?

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #9

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
We just returned from a great two week camping trip with fellow UHaul camper friends, George and Rhonda. Every campground we stopped at, we had folks asking to see our two little campers. I jokingly told Greg, George and Rhonda we needed to start charging admission. In Bar Harbor KOA, I returned to "Paddy" and there was a LONG line of folks in front of our UHaul. The first guy handed me a quarter and said he wanted a tour, this continued, each person in line tried to give a quarter. I kept explaining they did not have to pay. Then, I saw Greg and George yuking it up at the end of the line. (Greg had gone around the campground giving everyone quarters to come ask me for the "25 cent TOUR".)😱😱

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I tell people that tours are free but 50 cents if they want to use the bathroom.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane SC View Post
...Then, I saw Greg and George yuking it up at the end of the line. (Greg had gone around the campground giving everyone quarters to come ask me for the "25 cent TOUR".)
Well, that is a really good one, love it!
Let's not forget that the FGRV companies follow a business model that is, in part, based on owners showing the potential owners, instead of exhibiting at the big RV shows. Some owners are willing, some less so. I believe Scamp salesmen always ask for permission to make referrals.
Still chuckling...
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As I am on the corner of a fairly busy street I get a lot of drive-bys that stop in to ask questions about what is currently in my driveway. If it's for sale and/or how to find one are the most common questions and that's fine with me. I have developed several new friends that way and sold two RV's to those drive-by lookers, one who waited & watched progress for almost a year until that rebuild was finished.

On the other side of the coin, I spotted a seemingly unused pop-up tent trailer in a yard and, as no one was home, I sent a blind letter asking if it was for sale. The owner was happy to see it go to a new home. That one proved to be my best buy ever and, after a redo and fix-up, has become my son & his wife's gateway to RV life.

As it now shares my driveway with the Hunter, I now get a few tourists for that one as well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Well, that is a really good one, love it!
Let's not forget that the FGRV companies follow a business model that is, in part, based on owners showing the potential owners, instead of exhibiting at the big RV shows. Some owners are willing, some less so. I believe Scamp salesmen always ask for permission to make referrals.
Still chuckling...
Thats a very good point. I was talking with an Escape owner while traveling on Vancouver Island this summer about how many people wanted to tour the trailers. They had not even got the truck and trailer stopped in the ferry line up before they had their first two customers! They told me that they hand out the Escape card with their name and trailer written on the back of it to those who show a real interest in owning one. They have been surprised by how often they have received an unexpected "bonus" in the mail this year from Escape as a result of their having showed off their trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:02 AM   #14

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Had another 'tour group come through a few days ago...I spent 20 mins showing it off, then referred them to this forum. Maybe they'll get the bug!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Door Knockers

I used to "show" my trailer to people who expressed interest. Then someone I know showed their "stickie" to complete strangers. The guy's significant other supposedly twisted her ankle when she stepped out of the camper. Within a week my acquaintance heard from her lawyer. While his insurance company covered everything except for the hassle and the worrying (the insurance settled for $10,000), he still believes it was a set-up by opportunistic individuals looking to defraud. He now refuses anyone he doesn't know inside his trailer, and I have somewhat followed suit. Isn't it a shame how a few bad apples and unscrupulous lawyers have ruined stuff for lots of honest people. I now refer the curious to the web.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #16

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
wow! carl---that story is somewhat scary. i think now to all of the folks who've asked--and been allowed---to tour thru our trailer......but no more.
you're correct in saying that a few bad apples (and their lawyers) have ruined stuff for lots of people.

i'll definitely keep that story in my mind....thanks
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #17

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
CPW. I would have lied and said They had never been in my camper.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Door knocker

My trailer is currently sitting in a driveway in London, Ontario. I will pick it up late next month when I head south. Leaving it there has probably saved me about $800.00 [CAD] in gas and ferry tolls. There is a full set of keys at the house too. I put a small sign in the door window "This unit is not for sale" before I left. Hopefully this will save my sister some hassle.
Slips and sues were not on my mind when I put up the sign but I must admit that it does give me some concern. Is "Enter at you own risk" the next sign that I will have to print and post? It is a sad comment on our society. Scouter Dave
Old 10-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
CPW. I would have lied and said They had never been in my camper.

Darwin,
They apparently took pictures when they were inside claiming they liked this or that and wanted duplicate certain things if they purchased a similar trailer. That's one if the reasons he thinks it was a set-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
When I'm out working with the Hauley in tow and I stop at a gas station or fast food place, at least a couple times per week I get some looky-loo asking me about my "camper." Sometimes they ask to see the inside, too. Problem is, it's empty but for my cargo! Even so, they all say how 'neat' or 'cool' it looks.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote