Downsizing from a Sticky - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
We had a 22 ft stickie for 13 years. We had 2 kids and 2 dogs and served us well for all that time. Now we are down to just one dog and it no longer made sense to haul all that around with us with the price of gas plus there were a lot of places we wanted to go that the stickie could not. There were some adjustments to be made, we could no longer just toss everything into the trailer. We have a few totes which go in the back of the Suburban and we added some shelving to make the most of our storage. What we thought was funny as we unpacked the stickie was how much stuff we were hauling along on each trip that we didn't really need or use. We found that you can have just as much fun with a lot less. I think unless you are full timing, anything over 19 ft is too much.

Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #16
Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
You don't mention what your tow vehicle is. We tow our Casita 17 with a 2000 Chevy Blazer V6 2wd.
We are 2 retirees and find the Casita has everything we need. We no longer have any pets.

Before the Casita we had a 20'stick-built. One of the problems with "small" stick-builts is that the manufacturers are focused on the large units and the designing and testing of the small ones gets short changed. I wish we had bought the Casita years earlier.

With the stick we got 10 mpg, with the Casita we get 16 mpg. More money for travel.

I pull the Casita through places where I wouldn't try to go with the sticky.

Short trailers are trickier to back than long ones, but it has nothing to do with tandem or single axle. Tandem axles don't like to make tight turns when backing.

When a tire blows on a tandem axle the other tire on that side is immediately grossly overloaded. I once had 3 blowouts in 2 days on a 1 year old tandem axle sticky.

Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
Trailer: 13 ft 1974 Ventura
We have a 27' Dutchmen Lite trailer and just purchased a 13' Ventura trailer this summer as we're going to travel across Canada next summer with the kids. I'm going to take the Ventura and the two kids out east and my husband is going to fly out and meet us for his 2 week vacation. We've really enjoyed the Dutchmen for the past three years that we've had it, the space is wonderful as the children can go to bed in their bunk beds and we can stay up as late as we want and don't have to makeup the table/bed for people to sleep in. However, it is not as practical to take across Canada as an egg. So we watched all summer for eggs...and were fortunate enough to be able to purchase a 13' 1974 Ventura. We started with an exterior paint job, using "RV White" and it looks much better. This winter and spring we'll work on the interior and then we'll be ready for July. This trip will prove to be interesting I'm sure. I believe that the choice is yours and it really depends on what will work for you and your family...for mine it is all about the AD - Ventura!
Donna C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #18
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Hi again all,
I am reading your replies and thanks so much. I am still dreaming about that Sticky I would like to have, It has a livingroom area, kitchen area and bedroom area and is only 21 ft long. It is going to be harder to pull as it is bigger and wider. I would think the Big Foot would be harder to pull than the Casita also. Like if I got a 1 ft Bigfoot, versus the 16 ft Casita. That would mean more gas, less mileage also (but I would still be fiberglass) I would have to travel far to find a Bigfoot though.
I am still thinking sticky,but thinking less. We had snow on the ground this morning. Tormorrow I will have to get out and winterize my egg, and start thinking again next spring. We really need something bigger than that egg if hubby goes along. If it is just me, the dogs go in kennels on the smaller bed and I have the back bed. The main problem then is there is no table, and no place to set anything. The kitchen becomes a storage area and I must cook outside.
I wish Casita or Scamp made a sleek 21 foot with two bed areas, so the table could still be put up.
Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #19
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 / 1990 Chevy S10 PU
Just downsized from a 25' Airstream to a 13' Uhaul. Reason was that at 70 yrs. old,, the Airstream was just getting to be more than i wanted to deal with. Our life style has changed. Now renting a cottage for a couple of months in Alabama this winter. Will use the Uhaul for overnighting on the way down and back.

Eric Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote