Draining black tank into grey tank..... - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Grey water rules vary, so I always ask at check-in. Some have wash stations they want you to use, some want you to pour it down drains near the campsites, some want you to lug it to the bathhouses, and some are okay with pouring it out in an inconspicuous place. Even then, they often limit disposal to small quantities, not a whole grey tank.

99% seems hyperbolic, but in terms of developed campgrounds, open dumping of grey water is definitely not the norm.

Used to be camping was camping. But times have changed. There're a lot of people out there, and effects are cumulative. It's no fun when your kids are playing in bushes near the camp and turn up mounds of scum and food scraps from previous campers.

Tread lightly!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #44

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
If that is a true statement, then I would conclude you haven't been in many places. And I will have to start wearing latex gloves when it rains for fear of rain water dripping off of my badly contaminated hands and landing on the pristine ground that birds and other wildlife never sully with their feces.
Evidently the wildlife in Floriduh must be more civilized and technically advanced. The wildlife in our area deficate and urinate wherever and whenever they see fit , often in my yard.

I really enjoy people who think they are great self appointed environemental stewart because they dump their waste water in a public sewer and pass the problem down stream. Dumping your grey water or black water in a pit toilet is still dumping it on the ground only at a level closer to the ground water table..

In my book it's hard to run around the country , in a fossil fuel powered vehicle , towing a 5000 lb trailer with every modern convenience , viewing with thousands of others highly crowded pristine sights , while consuming water from a plastic bottle and claim moral superiority because you belong to the Sierra Club.

I admit to dumping grey water on the ground . I run my grey water through a screen to remove food scraps and use it to extinguish my campfire or water the plants.

I offer no apology nor do I feel any superiority for my position.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Wasn't making a statement about "moral superiority," Steve. Just about following the local rules. You do that, right?

One of the reasons there are so many animals urinating and defecating on your campsite is they are attracted by all the food scraps campers leave behind. The problem is not that animals are uncivilized, but that they have become too civilized.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #46

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I've wondered ALLL my life why "The grass is always greener on the other side."! NOW for the first time, I KNOW....after 7 yrs of dumping my black tank and letting it run under the neighbor's fence................

Ok ok ok... MOB CONTROL here..I was kidding! .... We love our segregated black/grey tanks. The old "grey" mare washes out the slinky before storing! YES!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #47
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Evidently the wildlife in Floriduh must be more civilized and technically advanced. The wildlife in our area deficate and urinate wherever and whenever they see fit , often in my yard.

I really enjoy people who think they are great self appointed environemental stewart because they dump their waste water in a public sewer and pass the problem down stream. Dumping your grey water or black water in a pit toilet is still dumping it on the ground only at a level closer to the ground water table..

In my book it's hard to run around the country , in a fossil fuel powered vehicle , towing a 5000 lb trailer with every modern convenience , viewing with thousands of others highly crowded pristine sights , while consuming water from a plastic bottle and claim moral superiority because you belong to the Sierra Club.

I admit to dumping grey water on the ground . I run my grey water through a screen to remove food scraps and use it to extinguish my campfire or water the plants.

I offer no apology nor do I feel any superiority for my position.
Yup, the wildlife in Florida-duh, unlike anyplace else, goes to wildlife restrooms connected to wastewater treatment systems, and would never soil the ground. And Steve, I bet you, like me, have urinated (gasp) or even defecated (double-gasp) in the woods.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #48

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Thanks for the laughs guys! I was taking each post personally at me because I was the OP. I realize it's just expressions of opinions now. I'm learning to play without quitting! Ha

I do feel bad tho for my reply last night. I'd still like to buy everybody a beer, but only if you empty the reprocessed beer behind a tree!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
JWScarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #49

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Wasn't making a statement about "moral superiority," Steve. Just about following the local rules. You do that, right?

One of the reasons there are so many animals urinating and defecating on your campsite is they are attracted by all the food scraps campers leave behind. The problem is not that animals are uncivilized, but that they have become too civilized.
Jon , I was not talking about my campsite ,I was talking about at my cabin in the woods. Various animals wander through my yard on a daily basis , not because there are food scraps everywhere but to get to the lake for water.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #50

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Yup, the wildlife in Florida-duh, unlike anyplace else, goes to wildlife restrooms connected to wastewater treatment system, and would never soil the ground. And Steve, I bet you, like me, have urinated (gasp) or even defecated (double-gasp) in the woods.
I have on occasion watered or fertilized the plant life while out in the woods deer hunting. I offer no excuses and am not proud of my actions. This deer season, I plan on hunting from the outhouse just to be safe and satisfy enviromental concerns .

All these things need to be put in their proper prospective.
The notion that your pollution is wrong but mine is okay , escapes me?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #51

Ohio
Not to be gross but I used to boat a lot on lake Cumberland (hence the user name) and the lake rules were to "go" 60ft off shore and bury it a little bit. Posted right in the lake pamphlets from DNR. I believe it's still that way. After you got done you continued swimming!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #52
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
This deer season, I plan on hunting from the outhouse just to be safe and satisfy enviromental concerns.
Will your modified hunting stand be secured 15-20 feet up a tree, or will you be using a "ground stand." I have always found tree stands more effective. An elevated outhouse conjures up all new mental images!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #53

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Will your modified hunting stand be secured 15-20 feet up a tree, or will you be using a "ground stand." I have always found tree stands more effective. An elevated outhouse conjures up all new mental images!
My regular deer stand is 20 feet in the air . It is lined with knotty pine T&G paneling , fully insulated , carpeted floor , propane heat
( vented) . stained plywood siding , a padded reclining chair and Anderson thermopane low E glass casement windows
It complies with all the energy codes.

My hunting buddy has 12V DC lights ,TV and solar in his deer stand.
He likes to watch the Packer game when hunting.

I will have to modify our outhouse so it works as a deer blind .
The funny part is , I saw more deer last year when sitting in the outhouse than sitting in my stand .
We went 3 for 3 last season , so I can't complain.

Best Wishes
Steve D
Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #54

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
A lot of camper companies are starting to use just one tank. The new Airstream Bambi just has one tank
Old 04-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #55

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Shoot yeah Joe...you gotta be tough to hang with these guys! They'll shake yer hand and pop u in the gut at the same time! And we gotta admit, we like a good "skirmish" now and then- war of words etc. It's called "the internet".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Thanks for the laughs guys! I was taking each post personally at me because I was the OP. I realize it's just expressions of opinions now. I'm learning to play without quitting! Ha

I do feel bad tho for my reply last night. I'd still like to buy everybody a beer, but only if you empty the reprocessed beer behind a tree!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #56

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
A lot of camper companies are starting to use just one tank. The new Airstream Bambi just has one tank
Yea I can see the advantages of both designs! For my wife and I one tank would work better because it gives us max capacity of what we need and since we only use the John for #1 we could go longer boondocking without need to empty tanks. Makes sense to me, hence my original post. But I also understand why some would prefer separate.

2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal