Draining black tank into grey tank..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Draining black tank into grey tank.....

May seem crazy idea but is this a good thing to do to expand time between trips to the dump station?

Let me elaborate lol. If one showers in the campground shower and washes dishes and hands in a sink bowl then waters the trees when bowl is full then the 32 gallon gray tank stays empty.

On to the toilet and if it is only used for #1 ONLY but has some TP in it from the wife (sorry if I'm too much info but it's needed for the subject lol) then on a long trip the 8 black gallon tank can fill fast.

So if I pull both valves then essentially the black tank will drain into the grey tank. Then we can empty the black 5 times before dumping. This is due to gravity with black tank higher than grey. I realize when I do eventually drain that some will spill out as soon as I uncap.

What's the consensus? Is this crazy? Will the TP cause an issue sticking in grey tank? What am I missing that makes this a bad idea? The only thing I can think of is maybe it's a better idea to put the tp In a trash can to keep everything 100% liquid. Have u done this?
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Remember that once you put black water in your grey tank from that point forward you have 2 black tanks FOREVER .
I have dumped grey water around trees / vegetation where allowed . Once your grey tank is contaminated that option is gone.
You are free to do as you wish but be aware of the long term affects .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
And you now have the SMELL coming up through the S traps once the water evaporates during non use of the camper. Your Sink and Shower.

I would never do that.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Gee, I think that idea stinks - excuse the pun, it is intended. I could not do this in the Scamp even if I wanted, because the drains are separate. I drain the black tank first, then the grey, which rinses the slinky hose and from that point it is easier to handle and stay away from the bad stuff. You do not want anything in the black tank that does not dissolve reasonably well, but you already know the options.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I don't know if it is possible in a Scamp, and think it is a poor solution anyway. A portable blue boy is a much better idea, as is just mostly using the campground facilities (what we do). Except for night time potty breaks of course.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Not something I would do. Beside fouling your gray tank, the thought of the next camper being in the vicinity of your black tank dumpage (even if only diluted liquid and TP) is cringe worthy. Use available rest rooms and/or portable container. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
I thought about your idea, as well as a reply. I will not resort to potty-talk, or say something nasty, but I did think of some nasty things to say about it. Lets just leave it at just go to a dump station when you see the need.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That idea might be ok IF you disconnect the sink and shower drains and seal off those openings to the gray tank. You want to head off any chance of bacterial contamination to the trailer's interior. Otherwise I'd have to call it a pi**-poor idea. (pun intended, couldn't pass it up!)

Are you planning to own that Egg forever? If you do store black tank contents in the gray tank, you will have to hide that fact from any future prospective purchasers; I for one would never want to buy it! IOW, resale value is something to consider, too.

If you really need that much black... or should I say, yellow? storage, I have to wonder if you're drinking waaaay too much coffee! Traveling alone, a little ol' porta potty tank can hold about 10 days for me, if I can stand the smell that long.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Blue tote is the way to go if you don't want to do special trips to the dump station.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 AM   #10

Ohio
Looks like a resounding NO lol! OK, I was just curious of thoughts on it but I won't do it for all of the reasons stated in the replies. Reason I asked is we went on a two week vaca last year and hope to do it this year. The place we have in mind has Water but not full hookups. I like the idea of the tote. Since our black tank is only 8 gallons then I won't need a huge tote.

Thanks for all the good info and things I'd not thought of. This site is great!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
On my modified Scamp I added plumbing between the two tanks, but my 8 gallon black tank is under the floor at the same level as the gray tank.
I also have a maceration pump in the system and a Hevpro valve in the sink.
I often join the two since now a days you are not allowed to dump gray water on the ground either.
I have 1 1/2 inch piping and two extra valves one from each tank.
These feed the pump for disposal.
Each tank can be drained separately and I normally keep them isolated and pump out the Black tank and then flush with the gray.
My problem is not the black but the gray fills quickly.
Each tank also has it's own 3" valve and cap as well and can be handled like a regular Scamp.
I am thinking about adding a third 3" valve and cap where the tanks join.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #12

Ohio
It is an interesting concept. My home uses a septic tank and only has one tank. The only thing between me and that is my sink p-trap so it is an interesting thought.

BUT like someone mentioned here the vent is a concern the more I think about it! My grey water vent is right on the side of the egg directly in campsite area! Yikes! So for that alone I'll have to keep em separate. I'll look into the blue tote. I just didn't want to lug one in the truck. Maybe I can rig it to my back bumper.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 04-18-2017, 07:12 AM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
This is the first time I noticed that the forum opinion is unanimous - honest! Just bring up tire pressure, towing speed, weight distribution, freezing temperatures, solar stuff, ...
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
I'll look into the blue tote. I just didn't want to lug one in the truck. Maybe I can rig it to my back bumper.
Perhaps in a luggage rack if you have a bike rack receiver on the rear bumper of the trailer.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #15

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
You might want to think about more use of your gray tank. There aren't too many campgrounds where watering the trees is a good idea, permitted or not. Dish washing involves food residue that can stink and/or attract varmints. If you have the option of keeping it in your tank and disposing properly, why not?
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:46 AM   #16

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Also, don't get a tote that is too big. I got a large one first time around and ended up giving it to a neighbor. This https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 works well for me and is easy to carry.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #17

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
It's not true that dumping grey tank on the ground is banned everywhere. I was in a state park somewhere in the midwest about four years ago that requested it. And on short trips not too far away I often do it on my own property. It saves the time at a dump station, especially if there's a line, and waters my shrubs.

Walt
Old 04-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
There is a reason

Note, this is not directed at the original poster, nor am I piling on.
We used to have communal drinking cups at the well that everyone shared. We don't anymore. Disease.
We may not have thought of all the reasons, but there are no doubt good reasons rvs have separate black tanks. If a tank was a tank, I suppose you could use your fresh, grey, and black water tanks interchangeably. Please warn me if you do.
It's probably why beer is in sealed cans.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Also, don't get a tote that is too big. I got a large one first time around and ended up giving it to a neighbor. This https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 works well for me and is easy to carry.
I bought a slightly larger tank, the 11 gallon, because it has 2 wheels and a separate tow handle is available. Usually I pull it by hand, or if I don't fill it I can pick it up and set it in the pickup bed.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=JWScarab;635918]It is an interesting concept. My home uses a septic tank and only has one tank. The only thing between me and that is my sink p-trap so it is an interesting thought.

There should be a big trap in the sewer line just before it exits your house
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote