Dream Locations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dream Locations

Rainy day and I'm dreaming about our upcoming Newfoundland trip. Part of the trip this year includes Fogo Island, one of the four corners of the earth.

I came across the island's trail map and hav attached it. AS well I've included a link to their very nice inn. Though very high end, it provides a good view of the island, particularly with all the links embedded in it's website.

http://www.fogoislandinn.ca/fii/wp-c...ogo-Island.pdf

Outside | Fogo Island Inn

Sweet Dreams

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Beautiful looking place. Just a couple of crazy kids. I wish you a safe journey.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #3

Florida
Extending the Dream

The ferry to Fogo Island stops at the smaller Change Islands on the way to Fogo. The Change Island has roaming wild ponies, so I'm told. Looks like another good opportunity.

The following are pictures of the Change Islands, definitely not an every day kind of place. Wandering thru the pictures I recognize that there is so much below the surface of our travels that we can never get to know in our time. As well you come to recognize that some of what you see is vanishing before your eyes. We've been coming to Newfoundland for about 15 years and it's changing, things disappearing for ever sometimes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chan...w=1241&bih=575

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Reminds me of the movie, The Shipping News. The movie looked like it was filmed at the same location.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #5

Florida
SRD,
All of Newfoundland except St Johns looks like Shipping News, a movie few have seen.

Actually the book was written up by L,'Anse aux Meadows another good visit.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #6

Florida
SRD, I looked up the Shipping News movie production location, it was New Bonaventure, NL.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+...w=1241&bih=575

The Movie of the book series Random Passages was also shot here.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
SRD,
... Shipping News, a movie few have seen.
Surprising given the beautiful story and fine acting. I was not aware before seeing the movie that it was a based on a Pulitzer Prize winning book by the same name.

As an aside, I was racking my brain trying to remember where I have seen this setting before in a movie. The movie 49th Parallel finally came to mind. The B&W film from the early 40s had a scene in the beginning that looked very similar to Quoyle's home town.

And thanks for the other links to the areas around Newfoundland, a truly remarkable place on Earth.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #8

Florida
SRD,

I read Shipping News because it was a Newfie book and went on to read most of Annie Proulx books. Last year we went to Cape Race, the last place seen in NA by ships heading to England, after reading Latitudes of Melt, a really good book covering the life of a family for about 100 years in Newfoundland. It was a marvelous book and we vowed on our next trip to seek out every location mentioned in the book, all real places. We did on last year's trip and truly had a marvelous time. The little villages (outports) are very special, definitely to be seen before the passage of time makes them disappear.

The following images are of La Manche, NL a village that essentially disappeared one night, hit by tsunami. The suspended bridge and many houses gone. The bridge has been re-built and is now within a Provincial Park. Well worth the hike to walk the bridge and see the area.

https://www.google.com/search?q=la+m...w=1241&bih=575

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
NL trip

Shipping News was a wonderful book - read it many years ago.
Re. Newfoundland and Labrador trip: I always look at the large scale maps and start dreaming about grand trips. Is it possible to go up north via Nova Scotia to Newfoundland and return via Labrador and Quebec? How are those roads up there? Are there ferries to enable this? I would like to set my foot on the oldest rocks on Earth some day. Just think 3.7 Ga (billions of years) old.
Paul
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Wow, I've never heard of this place. Sounds awesome. A couple of going-north options are on my list of trips coming up soonish - this summer I want to go up the James Bay road, and then in a year or two maybe do the Trans Labrador highway to Newfoundland and back through Nova Scotia loop.

Anyway, some info about the Change Islands ponies. I'm into horses and I've never heard of these guys. I hope this link works.

Editing: link no work. There's info on the ponies with a link for more in the middle of the page here.

Speaking of dreamy cold places, I REALLY want to go photograph the wild ponies on Sable Island. Unfortunately I can't take the Burro there! Access via ship and airplane only.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Pierce Rock

Camped on the hill overlooking Pierce Rock.

Wanna go back!

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...tm%3B975%3B630
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Shipping News was a wonderful book - read it many years ago.
Re. Newfoundland and Labrador trip: I always look at the large scale maps and start dreaming about grand trips. Is it possible to go up north via Nova Scotia to Newfoundland and return via Labrador and Quebec? How are those roads up there? Are there ferries to enable this? I would like to set my foot on the oldest rocks on Earth some day. Just think 3.7 Ga (billions of years) old.
Paul
Really enjoyed the Shipping News a number of years ago as well, book as is often the case was far better than the movie.

Paul the roads in the Maritimes vary from province to province and from area to area within each province. Roads in Nova Scotia and New Burnswick for the most part are good (but then again it depends where you are - you can go from a 4 lane highway in one area to a 2 lane narrow highway in another), with PEI only slightly poorer (not to say many of the roads there are not also as good as NS) with NewFoundland coming in last in regards to road quality IHMO. Not to say they are not drivable/towable for the most part, just can get a little rough and can be fairly narrow in places.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #13
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Speaking of dreamy cold places, I REALLY want to go photograph the wild ponies on Sable Island. Unfortunately I can't take the Burro there! Access via ship and airplane only.
That is a special place. Not a lot of folks know about that place.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #14

Florida
The primary roads in Newfoundland are good. The roads to the outports can have some potholes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #15

Florida
A heard of Sable Island Horses

There is a herd of Sable Island Horses at Nova Scotia's Shubenacadie Wildlife Park.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #16

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The primary roads in Newfoundland are good. The roads to the outports can have some potholes.
Thanks, Norm. I assume that this would also be true for the primary road (Rand McNally shows only one) and the secondary roads in Labrador. Have you and Ginny done that?
Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #17

Colorado
Thanks for the info, Carol. We camped (with a tent) in Nova Scotia almost fifteen years ago and the roads seemed to be quite good. It was a great trip, saw a lot of interesting places.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Another great campground on Nova Scotia is at Meat Cove at the top of Cape Breton Island, although not a road to tow a trailer for the faint of heart, or sites to get out of the wrong side of the tent. You can watch the whales from your campsite!

By the way, I was there in June, 2013, and although the main roads were great, many of the secondary roads had so many patches that it bounced the trailer all over the place. Still, a great place to visit. A link to the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
ASG_3741.jpg   ASG_3742.jpg  

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Thanks for the info, Carol. We camped (with a tent) in Nova Scotia almost fifteen years ago and the roads seemed to be quite good. It was a great trip, saw a lot of interesting places.
I was in Nova Scotia in the summer of 2010 and noted some of the major roads had been improved a lot since my previous visit years prior but I don't think you will see much differences in Newfoundland or PEI over 15 years ago as they have as been struggling economics wise due to the downsizing of fisheries etc. Roads are very drivable though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #20
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Another great campground on Nova Scotia is at Meat Cove at the top of Cape Breton Island, although not a road to tow a trailer for the faint of heart, or sites to get out of the wrong side of the tent. You can watch the whales from your campsite!

A link to the trip.
Meat Cove....looks very inviting. Thnxs for posting the pics. We have done the CBI trip a few times but have it in mind to cycle it one day*. It's on the to-do list.

*could be a challenge towing the 23' up the big hills with the road bike