Dream Locations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Actually Newfoundland seems to be gaining in wealth, a number of oil wells being drilled and a significant amount of new mining. People are not planting as many 'side of the road' gardens.

Paul O. We have driven across Labrador and have driven all the roads except the new section around Lake Melville. The tourist bureau writes me about 4 years to remind me that I haven't driven it.

We drive the main roads and all the side roads we can find. When we drove across Labrador, a two month trip for us, it was mostly dirt roads. Since than they have paved a lot more of the primary roads. Actually most of the dirt/gravel portions were pretty good though some was bad. Of course one drives slowly, not a place to rush thru.

Actually Newfoundland and Labrador is wonderful, I meant wonderful in the wonder full sense.

It may be true that were not the best road gauge because we generally drive slowly in new places searching out what ever we can find. Travel is so special, so much for the eyes to grasp.

If you want winter salvation get on line to the Newfoundland Tourist Bureau and ask for a booklet and Map. It's keep you happy for days. The Newfoundland Tourist bureau does a great job. I've even received ansers to my questions on Saturday night. I once asked for a list of Labrador Gas stations, They sent me a list in order with the gas stations, their location, their phone number, and the owner's home phone number.

AS well as Newfoundland the trip there is just as marvelous, NS, NB and PEI are also great.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #22

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
According to a local guy I chatted with while waiting for the ferry, in addition to new local opportunities a lot of newfoundland residents are getting jobs at the alberta tar sands, getting flown out there by the company to work fairly well paid shifts for a couple of weeks, then home for a couple of weeks. Another source of cash flowing into the island.

Anyway I thought the roads were pretty decent there.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #23

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I just looked at a lot of your photographs, Jon, and they are awesome!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #24

Colorado
Thanks, Norm, I think NL (both, N and L) will go on our short list.
Paul
Old 02-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
According to a local guy I chatted with while waiting for the ferry, in addition to new local opportunities a lot of newfoundland residents are getting jobs at the alberta tar sands, getting flown out there by the company to work fairly well paid shifts for a couple of weeks, then home for a couple of weeks. Another source of cash flowing into the island.
Yup there are a very large number of Newfes working in Alberta, which was bring a good deal of cash flow back to Newfoundland. Unfortunately most of the big employers have in the past six months or so stopped the practise of flying them all the way home and back and they now have to get themselves to Calgary were the company will fly them to work from. That has resulted in many of them relocating their families to Alberta rather than having to fly themselves back and forth from Newfoundland, so once again the extra cash flow has slowed down.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #26

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
So, I suppose you will take your Scamp onto the ferry and camp on Fogo Island? What do they charge for the ferry ride?

It sounds like a nice, quiet place to take leisurely walks for many days. But you probably have to stock up on food before you cross over, I'm guessing.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #27

Florida
Fogo Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
So, I suppose you will take your Scamp onto the ferry and camp on Fogo Island? What do they charge for the ferry ride?

It sounds like a nice, quiet place to take leisurely walks for many days. But you probably have to stock up on food before you cross over, I'm guessing.
Round trip Ferry fees are about $46 for our trailer and two senior passengers between Fogo and the main island of Newfoundland. This compares to $620 round trip for our trailer and two seniors between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. (This fee covers tow vehicle/trailer combos up to 40 feet). It certainly discourages short trips.

Both islands have a campground and grocery stores. We always carry enough breakfast food for a few weeks. We also have enough food for a light meal every day for a few weeks. In general, unlike most of our travel time I expect we'll be eating island seafood for one meal a day.

I'm certain we'll be all over the three islands, walking every trail.

We typically don't carry more than a couple of big meals at a time. Except for parts of Labrador, we always have been able to find food to buy. I'm sure you know by now we don't carry coolers except for a single small lunch size cooler bag, maybe it would hold a six pack. We use it for 'out' day trips. (We visited a town of 1800, large for Newfoundland, and there was no place to eat in town or no where for many miles in either direction.)

I like rural.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #28

Florida
Fogo Island

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #29

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Fogo Island
Beautiful - and powerful! (the icebergs are something to see)
Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #30

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I see these ads all the time on TV. They have done their job. My family and I will drive there. Not the coming summer, but the next one.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote