dreaming of camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Just this morning, SHE (who MUST be obeyed) hauled out our 'time table' for 2016 to look at our schedule with regards to camping and such, including two stints at The Fort (in Ft Langley) and Deming, and a stay at the KOA in Burlington!! Our 'card' is filling up FAST!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #22

Name: Norma J
Trailer: Scamp 19'
Michigan
Norm & Ginny...That is the exact journal I bought locally, It's a very nice book that I'm anxious to start filling when this whole "working" thing is over....I have loved reading your very informative posts!
Norma G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #23

Michigan
Check out Norm & Ginny's post for the Campground Journal...such a great book! I'm glad to see others also like the "old fashioned" way of keeping memories...all right I admit I do not know how to do it differently! (Not without a tutorital from one of my kids...their eyes roll here!)
Old 01-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Kirkman, I love this idea but I can't figure out where you'd install this is a FGRV? We have a 16' Scamp and the only option I can think of is to remove the from couch and mount in the front window. Even then, the clearance requirements of 20" from the front/sides means location and heat output could be very problematic. What about you?
Some one had a stove in their Scamp at the Bandon rally a few years back.... or I seem to recall it was a Scamp & at Bandon.... may have been at a different rally. They had it in the location of the tall clothing closet (which they had removed).
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
4" of snow last Friday - 15 below zero F this morning
The lake is frozen over . Winter is finally here .
Now all I can do is dream of Spring
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #26

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Minus 15˚F wind chill yesterday but we managed to have friends over for a party in the Scamp. The portable heater warmed us up to about 60˚ and the wine didn't hurt matters much.

We already have 14 days worth of rallies planned for the Spring–it can not come too soon since the wind chill is -28˚right now.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #27

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Some one had a stove in their Scamp at the Bandon rally a few years back.... or I seem to recall it was a Scamp & at Bandon.... may have been at a different rally. They had it in the location of the tall clothing closet (which they had removed).
Cool I wish I had a chance to see that!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #28

Michigan
6" of fresh snow... while beautiful, makes camping feel a very long time away! Right now our dachshund has difficulty tunneling thru off his path...even he is dreaming of the next camping trip!
Old 01-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #29

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Nearby city got tornado last night... Cape Coral, tornado: winds exceeded 100 mph
Old 01-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #30

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Campground Journal with reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma G View Post
I found a very cool "Campground Journal" with lots of room for recording notes of each campground & site #'s....this will be very handy for us.
Norma, this was something that I thought I'd find online within a forum such as the FGRV. I was very surprised to not see something like a sub-board by state with each campground listed and reviews posted by patrons as participants of the FGRV forum.

I realize that some have posted reports about specific trips, but I thought it'd be a "natural" that people would want and therefore post first hand reports regarding specific locations and recommendations. I was hoping for issues like pet friendly, good water, level sites, no fires, etc.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's an interesting idea. I don't know whether the forum architecture would support it. Perhaps if it were tagged, like the classifieds, you could filter by state. The trick is always keeping threads on track, i.e., with the kinds of information most useful to other campers. 'Tis the nature of threads to drift... like right now.

There have been a number of attempts to start threads to gather specific kinds of data as a reference tool (the trailer weights thread, bed sizes thread, and the trailer-tug thread come to mind). Keeping them on track is a challenge. And then, unless someone wants to compile the data into a document and keep the document up-to-date (as Jon Vermilye is doing for trailer weights)... well... who wants to sift through all 300 posts in the trailer weights thread?

Want to tackle this one? My advice would be to think through very carefully what data you want to collect and limit it to no more than 6-8 fields. The vehicle-tug thread kept expanding to more and more data fields after it was already started. After a certain point most people won't return to add more information.

In this case, I think much of the information is already out there in various formats.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #32

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ginny uses one similar to this, actually we're on our second journal after 15 years. It's interesting how the campground entries have changed over the years. Since we've completed 6 loops of the USA, it is a handy reference to campgrounds from our past.

http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Camper...ground+journal
Thank you! Ordered it this morning!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #33

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's an interesting idea. I don't know whether the forum architecture would support it. Perhaps if it were tagged, like the classifieds, you could filter by state. The trick is always keeping threads on track, i.e., with the kinds of information most useful to other campers. 'Tis the nature of threads to drift... like right now.

There have been a number of attempts to start threads to gather specific kinds of data as a reference tool (the trailer weights thread, bed sizes thread, and the trailer-tug thread come to mind). Keeping them on track is a challenge. And then, unless someone wants to compile the data into a document and keep the document up-to-date (as Jon Vermilye is doing for trailer weights)... well... who wants to sift through all 300 posts in the trailer weights thread?

Want to tackle this one? My advice would be to think through very carefully what data you want to collect and limit it to no more than 6-8 fields. The vehicle-tug thread kept expanding to more and more data fields after it was already started. After a certain point most people won't return to add more information.

In this case, I think much of the information is already out there in various formats.
Sorry to hijack, but I wasn't thinking of collecting any real data. I was thinking of personal references listed by campsite: i.e.

Under Main Thread - State
Under Each State - listed name of campground
Under Each Campgrounds - posts by people asking or answering questions as well as reports

Anyone interested in posting an experience could post and everyone thinking of going to a place could ask. It would be searchable by camp names, maybe.

The details anyone could find, facts and statistics by referencing the specific web site for any campgrounds. I was thinking of personal experiences and reports on grounds. Just an idea...
Old 01-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Sounds like a full time job for somebody.
Or something already commercially available, except for the comments by forum members who may or may not share your tastes. You can now look up individual campsites and find reviews from random strangers. I also like to look at a satellite view on Google Earth to confirm the campground isn't next to a landfill.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #35

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Sorry to hijack, but I wasn't thinking of collecting any real data. I was thinking of personal references listed by campsite: i.e.

Under Main Thread - State
Under Each State - listed name of campground
Under Each Campgrounds - posts by people asking or answering questions as well as reports

Anyone interested in posting an experience could post and everyone thinking of going to a place could ask. It would be searchable by camp names, maybe.

The details anyone could find, facts and statistics by referencing the specific web site for any campgrounds. I was thinking of personal experiences and reports on grounds. Just an idea...

If you are wishing to pull up such info from this site then the Search function bottom box Google is your friend. the info is more often than not here just need to call it up using specific search perimeters.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote