Driving from T.O to Vancouver (returning with trailer)-route suggestio - Fiberglass RV

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat

Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Trailer: Escape 17 ft
We're heading out this coming weekend (Sept. 23rd) to pick up our Escape in Chillliwack-wondering if folks here have any suggestions/comments about which route to take (driving from Toronto area)?

On our westbound trip, we'll be staying in hotels-looking to drive 12-14hrs/day. (want to drive as much as possible while avoiding night driving)

Coming back east, we'll have our trailer (sometime week of Oct. 1st). Need to be back in Toronto area Oct 9th. Would really like to camp on way back if we can find sites open.

Our tow vehicle (for now) is a full size dually-diesel. We'd like to stick to major roads as we've found diesel fuel can be tough to find on some of the secondary/scenic routes.

We've done the trip a number of times, different routes (all Trans-Canada; thru US crossing at Detroit; thru Can/US crossing at Sault Ste. Marie), but never with a trailer, and we're not sure what current road conditions/construction areas are.

Only other consideration is our tow vehicle has Farm licence plates-I've heard a few rumours that this could be problematic in some states, anyone know about this?

Thanks! Jen

JenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Farm plates are generally not permmitted on highways in the US. If you cross over the border with them, better plan on using back roads.

Laura K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
We have made the trip many times. Our usual and preferred route is crossing at Windsor/Detroit, taking I94 through Chicago and all the way to Billings Montana to connect with I-90 and then head into Canada north of Spokane where we used to live. We found this to be quick and while the same distnce as I90 a little more interesting unless we were wanting to stop at Mount Rushmore. How many times can you count visit Wall drug signs? On this route we had usual spots, Mirror Lake State Park at Wisconsin dells, Lincoln state Park at Mandan North Dakota across the river from Bismark, post that Custer left from for his contact with first nations pople and a campground split on both sides of the Interstate about an hour west of Missoula Montana.

Last trip we went on the Trans Canada to Moose Jaw, south to Minot North Dakota and along #2 and #28 to Sault St. Marie and onto Ottawa. As you know Intersates may be longer but they are quicker.

If travelling through B.C. you may preferr the transs-canada and Coquihalla toll road(4 lanes) out of Kamloops(Hywy #5) rather than the winding , two lane #3 Hope Princeton. If you are not in a rush. Okanagan Wine festival is on in our valleystarting Sept. 28. come join in the fun.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
A word of caution: news reports of snow on the higher level passes in B.C. You may want to keep abreast to the radio when in this area while planning trip especially with the new trailer. Sept. 20
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Hi Jen
I will have the same problem as you.I will pick up New Escape in late Nov or early Dec. >My saving grace is i don,t have your distance to travel but i do have the higher elevations to contend with.I have gone through Mountains at -30C with a motor home towing a car.It did take me a extra day.Make plans for a longer trip than normal and keep ear to weather forcasts.
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Thanks for the suggestions, and Kent-thanks for the heads-up on the snow. I think we'll cross at Sault Ste. Marie (already north of TO) and head across I-94; with the loonie almost at par that seals the deal. Will try to look up some of the campgrounds you mentioned on way back with trailer.
Karen-I've phoned the DOT's & state troopers in most of the states we drive thru our farm plates are ok, but I appreciate the word of caution-don't want any surprises!

I drove that route last summer-remember passing some origional A&W's thru WI-the ones with car hops. Can't remember where those are-anyone know?
JenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
....having made the drive from Winnnipeg to Vancouver over a dozen times (yes, BOTH WAYS, LOL!!!) we have found that the U.S. route usually is a better way to go. Highways in better shape, climbing and descending the 'divide' is easier, there are more places to get gas/groceries/camp (as towns/cities are closer together).

We have to allot about another days drive to the trip, being almost 3 hours to Seattle and at the east end of the trip, another 3 hours to get back into the 'Peg, but I feel its still worth the extra drive (IF time isn't that big an issue.)

Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote