Driving in Cold Weather - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Careful calling the forum stupid. It'll hear you and be even more quirky. Most problems with the forum have more to do with something on your end, like your browser or operating system, than the forum itself.

I haven't logged out, or been logged out of this forum for months, if not years. Check the "Remember Me" box, when logging in or find the problem on your end.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #22

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah. I don't know much about the back end of internet forums, but I know they need to be built to work smoothly with multiple versions of multiple operating systems on multiple different kinds of computers using multiple internet browsers. Also staying compatible with outdated operating systems isn't something they're going to concern themselves with. All forums are going to be a little quirky, but this one works well for me.

I did have to upgrade my computers RAM and install an ad blocker for this site to load fast enough to be worth using. But my computer is a 2009 and well past its intended life span. But it just keeps working...so I keep using it.

Tom hopefully this is all useful. I'm sure some of the responses, including mine, may seem a little dismissive, but it's only because we've had experience. Some of us have had quite a bit of experience with RV fridges specifically...You'll do what you'll do and you'll learn from it, and that's cool. We're passing on our personal experience.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
A storm of answers is what internet forums are all about. Some people are ok with it and some people are annoyed by it, but you can always send a private message to someone if you think they have informed answers, not just the answers you want to hear, and take the conversation "off line".

Do what you want, is the easiest. You'll learn from your own personal experience then you'll know. While you're researching the Norcold, why don't you look to see what the performance is meant to be on 12v? You can look at all the power draw figures you want and make assumptions, but people here with experience are saying that they don't cool adequately on 12v. You will not get similar performance to AC when using DC, unless something has changed with new 3-way fridges. DC is fine for driving, if you're getting enough charge to your battery. It just won't do it while camping in warmer weather. It's a bandaid, to be used while traveling. The typical understanding of these 3-way absorption fridges based on decades of experience is: AC is for use when you're plugged in. DC is for use while driving only to keep a small level of cooling until you get to the campsite. Propane is for use when camping when electricity isn't available.

Unless temps don't get above freezing during the day, and are in the teens or lower at night, you really don't have anything to worry about with your water system.

Careful calling the forum stupid. It'll hear you and be even more quirky. Most problems with the forum have more to do with something on your end, like your browser or operating system, than the forum itself.
Well that tis exactly what I want to do is use DC while driving. It could be my browser because I use Bing and am very stubborn about using anything Google. I can try Firefox though. The problem seems to crop up if I spend a long time typing. I actually spend a lot of time on some of my replies.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Well that tis exactly what I want to do is use DC while driving.

Not much point in asking advice.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Well that tis exactly what I want to do is use DC while driving. It could be my browser because I use Bing and am very stubborn about using anything Google. I can try Firefox though. The problem seems to crop up if I spend a long time typing. I actually spend a lot of time on some of my replies.
I really appreciate anyone who spends a considerable amount of time composing messages on the forum. Too many people don't, and also don't seem to care if their messages have much value to others.

For longer replies, compose them in a Word Processor and save once in a while, and then cut-n-paste to the forum. Any simple editor such as EditPad Lite will work but there is a free word processor almost as good as Microsoft Word, and it handles MS Word files too. See https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/writer/

BTW, Bing is a search engine not a browser. Edge is the name of the current browser from Microsoft. Google is a search engine and Google Chrome is a web browser. Microsoft has a bad record of security problems and Google Chrome as well as Firefox have good but not perfect records of few security problems. You can use the Bing Search Engine from Google Chrome (or any browser).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #26

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
There are people here who have had good luck driving with the fridge on 12v. I'm not one of them, because with my setup, my battery is getting nothing more than a trickle charge from my truck while towing. If I used 12v I'd have a dead battery when I got to camp. Yours may already be set up correctly, but if not, Raspy posted a good way to upgrade.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #27

Massachusetts
I found out today that the Bigfoot has a Dometic 8 cu foot frig and a three way is not available. I should have checked on this before posting. It would have saved everyone a lot of time.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #28

Quote:
I found out today that the Bigfoot has a Dometic 8 cu foot frig and a three way is not available. I should have checked on this before posting. It would have saved everyone a lot of time.

As I said, not much point asking advice.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #29

Massachusetts
Quote:
There are people here who have had good luck driving with the fridge on 12v. I'm not one of them, because with my setup, my battery is getting nothing more than a trickle charge from my truck while towing. If I used 12v I'd have a dead battery when I got to camp. Yours may already be set up correctly, but if not, Raspy posted a good way to upgrade.
This post prompted me to run an experiment on how much of a charge I can expect from my F-150. I started a new thread over in the electrical section.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post758768

Tags
vin