Dropped trailer on the freeway! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
I also had my Boler drop off on the road. I thought it was secure, and we took off a couple of years ago for a longish trip. About 5 miles after leaving home, we were in the left of 3 lanes going up a hill toward the highway (left lane turnoff onto the highway) when I heard a loud scraping sound and the minivan acted oddly. The hitch had come off the ball and we were towing by the safety chain, with the end of the jack on the ground showering sparks everywhere. I always keep the jack somewhat extended just in case, usually about 10 inches off the ground level when towing. Anyway, traffic was fairly light, and everyone stopped so we could pull over to the right edge of the road. The ball had settled on under the clamp inside the hitch rather than over it, and I had locked it down onto nothing instead of onto the ball. Fortunately, the safety chain held and there was no damage other than a loss of about an inch off the end of the jack! We hooked up the hitch, properly this time, with the help of two teenage boys in the van, and continued on our trip. Now I always lift up on the hitch after hooking up to make sure that it is secured. I also had to file down the new weld/burn marks on the jack so that it would extend and retract properly.

A friend on my ball team had a similar experience last year. He was coming home to Edmonton from our national baseball championships in Saskatoon with his Boler, about 600 km. A couple of miles from home, he went over a railroad track and the hitch popped off. He had been driving the whole way with the trailer not secured on the hitch. Again no real damage, but lesson learned, again.

Rick G

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #16
Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft
I've come close with our boat trailer - it just didn't "feel" right as we left the driveway. We stopped and checked and sure enough it wasn't coupled properly. We have a bulldog hitch on our Boler 13 : http://www.etrailer.com/p-BD028382.html. It cannot lock down unless it is properly seated on the ball and it cannot come off once locked in place. If you are ever seriously considering upgrading/replacing your hitch I would highly recommend this type.

Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
When I was hooking up my 13' Scamp after a large family campout, I had at least 10 people helping. 100 yards later the hitch popped up off the ball and there was a lot of excitement though no damage. (Lesson: Check out your hook-up yourself, even if that means you hurt someone’s feelings.)

RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote