Drowning of Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I haven't had the opportunity to get out and camp yet this spring but was looking forward to getting out for a quick weekend really soon. Now I am not even sure when I will be getting out.

My tow vehicle (2007 Ford Ranger) basically drowned in a flash flood. Water came up so fast that there was no opportunity to get the truck out. Attached are pictures of how high the water was (the water line is above the door handles) and what the inside looked like. The insurance adjuster did total it, but we haven't started talking $$$ yet. Last time I totaled a vehicle it took almost 9 months to get settled. None of the contents are covered (no flood insurance on my homeowner's policy). Lost GPS unit, two way walk talkies, some CDs, bungee cords, etc. (I didn't realize how much I had in the truck until I was digging through the mud trying to identify items covered in mud.) YUCK!

It could have been worst. Sometimes I leave my truck with the camper hooked on where it flooded.

Now my goal is to hopefully get settled soon with the insurance company and be able to replace my tow vehicle in time to camp July 4th weekend.

My word of advice after this incident is this is a good time for everyone to review your vehicle, camper and homeowners insurance policies and get them updated. With all this wild weather we are having it it good to know your covered.

Hopefully I will see everyone out on the road real soon.

Gail

Attached Images

Gail Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Umm a bowling pin????? kinda curious about that item...not like I see a few more whats the story on that item.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It might be a juggling gizmo, not a bowling pin...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #4

Bowling pin was for a display for a silent auction I was putting a display together for. I was planning on attaching the gift certificates for bowling games, pizza and pop to the pin. My brand new bowling ball was in the truck. (You can't see it in the pictures) I hadn't even had an opportunity to play a game with this. I took it home and gave it a bubble bath and it cleaned up nicely.

Gail
Old 06-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
For the electronic items, if it wasn't salt water but fresh, do not try to turn them on! Wash everything out with clear water and let them dry for a few weeks and MAYBE they will still live. Remove batteries, open cases and rinse.
I recovered a monitor that was in a waterfall and under water from a sump pump attack ( long story) for about a weeks time. I left it alone for about a month and Viola! It worked and still works today. 7 years later
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Gail, I am so sorry to hear about your water issues! Wow! Hopefully no one was hurt. Veichles can be replaced. As long as you and your family and friends are ok................. That's what matters most. Good luck! You will be out and camping again soon. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Sorry to hear about your flood damage. You sure have been getting the storms.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Hello Gail, sorry to hear about your tug, hope all works out with the insurance. hang in there better days are ahead. Remember the Chinese saying " My house burned down , now I have a better view of the moon and stars"
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. No one was hurt so that indeed was a blessing. The dealership is looking for a replacement Ranger for me. They will give me a list and I will pick my 1st through 3rd choices. Now I am just waiting on the insurance adjuster. I am hoping and praying he will be kind and I can get settled quickly. Good thing is that I will most likely get a 2008 truck and I will most likely get a better interest rate. Both will be blessing.

Hope to be camping soon.

Gail
Old 06-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Be sure you know the value of your old truck, NADA Retail at minimum, because many adjusters will try to give you a low estimate first. InsCos are in the business of making money, not giving it away....
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote