Dry camping the Cowboy Way... tips and hints - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #21

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 29 foot
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Never seen a real cowboy with a solar shower or a Buddy Heater... LOL
Guess you haven't watched much of Hollywood's Cowboy perversions then. LOL..

Yes, we're talking a modern day version of the old cowboy. Only our wagon is our trailer and our horse is our car or truck. Grin.. Don't know about you, but our partners probably don't enjoy the ambiance we men emit if we've not showered in a week.

Happy trails my friend.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:15 AM   #22

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post

There are many other tricks and tips I know that you folks use when dry camping or boondocking off the grid in trailers that aren't self-contained and where you don't have campground facilities.

Share your Cowboy Way tips and hints on dry camping here!
Near Fairbanks there is a pretty large dry lifestyle and non electric community for living, (not just camping.) They aren't the only ones of course but, the largest geographically located group that I found. Simplistic.

Ever since living in Texas, and then Alaska, which opened my eyes up to realize that not every ground built home can have plumbing and that water waste is common for those who have it. Or rather, at least, water complacency!

My last apartment I used a stove top percolator but think cowboy coffee is better than expresso when made right, right!?

I am NO minimalist or eco friendly small foot print person but, I just ordered my "wonder wash" crank washer yesterday and wish I would've gotten it a long time ago! I'd also really wanted a composting tumbler toilet when in Alaska instead of the dry cabin outhouse or thunder bucket but, never got one. Now that I'm going into a non bathroom trailer I was really contemplating on the waste in a bag system or in finding a smaller tumbler toilet. I'd love any recommendations on that!

Jen
edit: another interesting thing I saw in Fairbanks is, olden style, the laundry mats have shower rooms. Wash your clothes and jump in the shower at the same time, (small fee.) Felt a little like the wild west but wilder. They also had the "Water Wagon" stations. Which are very similar to a gas station but, you are pumping water to take home. I used to use Three five gallon jugs but, I left them in Alaska. Silly me!
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:52 AM   #23

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 29 foot
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennaver View Post
Now that I'm going into a non bathroom trailer I was really contemplating on the waste in a bag system or in finding a smaller tumbler toilet. I'd love any recommendations on that!
Good question... Looking forward to seeing what others recommend...

Dennis
Old 11-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #24

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you use the search function there are several recent and extensive threads on the question of sawdust, waste-in-a-bag and composting toilets.

There are any number of filtered water dispensing stations at most Wal-Marts and other major stores, at least on the west coast anyway. Wal-Mart sells several sizes of water jugs, including the 5 gallon size.

And for the off-grid, alternative lifestyle, in the lower 48, be sure to check out "Slab City" in CA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slab_City and here: Slab City is, umm, different. Very different.

If interested further be sure to Google '"Slab City" for a fuller picture.
We went out there a few years back and two nights was enough for us, but others have lived there for years.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #26

None
Backpacker Tricks

Old 11-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #27

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
About refrigeration: that is true about there being plenty of foods that don't need the fridge. Butter, margarine, pasta, fruits, soups. Even eggs don't really need to be chilled. And you can get UHT milk as well.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
About refrigeration: that is true about there being plenty of foods that don't need the fridge. Butter, margarine, pasta, fruits, soups. Even eggs don't really need to be chilled. And you can get UHT milk as well.

There is a lot of disagreement on that, especially if you are using store bought eggs and/or those that have been previously refrigerated.

Here's a few links:

Here's why you have to refrigerate eggs in the U.S. but not in Europe - LA Times

Why Europeans Don't Refrigerate Eggs - Business Insider

Why The U.S. Chills Its Eggs And Most Of The World Doesn't : The Salt : NPR

Soooo, unless you get your eggs right out of the chicken........

Old 11-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #29

Pennsylvania
Registry
Sometimes I get my eggs straight from the chicken, the rest of the time from the supermarket. I've noticed no difference in how they keep and how I feel after tucking into a breakfast of scrambled eggs. I don't know, maybe death is right around the corner?

I wouldn't recommend letting them sit in 100 degree heat for weeks and then eating them, but your basic room temperature and below seems like NBD.

(maybe this will become the next "but they do it in europe!!" great debate)
Old 11-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #30

Quote:
There is a lot of disagreement on that, especially if you are using store bought eggs and/or those that have been previously refrigerated.

Here's a few links:

Here's why you have to refrigerate eggs in the U.S. but not in Europe - LA Times

Why Europeans Don't Refrigerate Eggs - Business Insider

Why The U.S. Chills Its Eggs And Most Of The World Doesn't : The Salt : NPR

Soooo, unless you get your eggs right out of the chicken........
As mentioned in the articles, it's not about the eggs, but all about how the eggs are processed before the consumer gets them.

I will still take the FDA's and sound medical advice over singular examples.
My Dad never wore a safety belt, but that didn't make that a good idea either.

And there is no debate, facts is facts this time.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #31

None
Old 11-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #32

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The Europeans have a lower speed limit for chickens and eggs!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I admit, I didn't read the links, but I do agree, here in the US it's not as cut and dried. The problem, as I understand it, is that the consumers here in the US insist on blemish free food stuffs, so eggs meant for sale here are washed prior to packaging. It is the washing process that removes the natural protective film on the outside of the egg shells, thus making them permeable to air and water, and thus bacteria. Get farm fresh eggs (like I always use, but I live in a small town, rural area) and you can keep them at room temperature without problem. Generally an unwashed egg will let you know if it's gone bad as soon as you crack it.

Also, hard boil, even store bought eggs will last several days without problem, just keep them in a moderately cool area.
It doesn't have anything to do with how Americans like their eggs to look. In Europe they require that all laying chickens be vaccinated and in the US they don't. This mandates a different process to assure that the eggs are salmonella free when they go to market. It's in the links.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #34

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Cowboys didnt take along anything but salt and pepper for their beef.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #35

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt123me View Post
Finally, a tip that matches the OP thread topic. I saw this post title and thought.. Oh Boy... This will be a fun thread... I was expecting that ppl would share their ideas about off the grid tricks and tips, and all I read until this post, was I walked 10 miles in the show to school... gibberish. Sorry, don't mean to sound negative or sound mean spirited, but this thread swerved clear off topic and into the ditch. LOL

OK, getting back on track... If you are boon docking or off grid camping and want a shower.. an actual shower, you can buy one of those Solar black water blatter showers, and hang it outside, in warmer whether of course, and shower using the sun to heat your water..

Viking Nature Solar Camping Shower Bag

If it's too cold for the outdoors, then heat water in a basin like was mentioned and take a sponge bath. Paper towels work great for this... plus you can save the paper towels to use later to start a campfire.

Oh, and if you're showing outdoors, you might want something like this to ward off those scary old bears that might be curious why a naked human would stand under a sprinkler..

Aerosol Air Horn

Also, if you can afford it, buy one of those catalytic heaters that run off propane to keep warm..

Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater

Here are some starter tips and tricks that most already know. Anyone else have ideas for off the grid comfort and peace of mind...

And sorry if my post sounded negative or ranting... I just wanted to try and get this back on course...

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #36

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If you have ever dry camped in a tent during Winter in Minnesota
( Temps in the -20 below range) ,where your eggs came from is the least of your worries. Staying warm is your main concern.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #37

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Cowboys didnt take along anything but salt and pepper for their beef.
*Mongolian* cowboys didn't even need that. Stick your slab of meat under your horse's saddle, and then ride all day. Boom, ready to cook.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #38

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
If you use the search function there are several recent and extensive threads on the question of sawdust, waste-in-a-bag and composting toilets.

There are any number of filtered water dispensing stations at most Wal-Marts and other major stores, at least on the west coast anyway. Wal-Mart sells several sizes of water jugs, including the 5 gallon size.

And for the off-grid, alternative lifestyle, in the lower 48, be sure to check out "Slab City" in CA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slab_City and here: Slab City is, umm, different. Very different.

If interested further be sure to Google '"Slab City" for a fuller picture.
We went out there a few years back and two nights was enough for us, but others have lived there for years.
Hi,
I am glad to know Walmart will sell water, (even if I have to go inside for it.)

Although I do not think Slab city is necessarily like the Fairbanks dry cabin community other than being off grid, from what I understand of it. As rudimentary as my understanding is the contradicting difference is Fairbanks dry cabin folks live with the land in a mutual way and the Slab city folks just live on it with no regard for its well being. Then again it could be due to the different environments. Also, anyone can go to Slab city versus the Interior is going to take a lot longer to get to.

Jen

edit: dry cabin link http://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/ho...y-you-want-to/

Slab city link: http://content.time.com/time/nation/...105597,00.html
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
*Mongolian* cowboys didn't even need that. Stick your slab of meat under your horse's saddle, and then ride all day. Boom, ready to cook.

Maybe Not.... A Clip from the following link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/06/di...rses.html?_r=0

"But as with many good tales, a little research suggests it's not true: "The Cambridge Medieval History" of 1924 says the story was started by early chroniclers who saw Mongol horsemen putting thin slices of raw meat beneath their saddles, but that the meat was meant to help heal the horses' sores rather than fill the men's stomachs. The book notes that the meat would have been impregnated with sweat and uneatable by the end of the day."

When Judith and I when to Europe and the USSR in 1970, our last meal before flying back, was at a pension outside Brussels where the special that night was Steak Tartare, raw egg on top and all. For all I know it's still sitting on the table.... Not for us after what we had eaten for the previous month in Soviet Restaurants. Fine cuisine wasn't their strong point.

About inflation and holding value....
An old Russian Ruble (RUR) cost $1.35 USD in 1970, with official exchange only. In 1998, the New Ruble (RUB ) replaced the RUR at an exchange rate of 1000 RUR to 1 RUB. Today 66 Ruble (RUB ) = 1 USD

Today it would take 66,000 old Rubles, that cost $1.35 each in 1970, to equal 1 USD or 10,000 old Rubles, that cost $13,500 in 1970 is now worth $.15 USD

And now back to our regular programming

Old 11-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #40

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Back to the original topic....I saw a vintage trailer that had a tub built into it on one side of the dinette. You just lifted the cushions off and filled it with hot water and voila...bath time. It drained out through the floor and was really cool. No bailing.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Tags
dry camping