Dry camping the Cowboy Way... tips and hints - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #41

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinab View Post
Back to the original topic....I saw a vintage trailer that had a tub built into it on one side of the dinette. You just lifted the cushions off and filled it with hot water and voila...bath time. It drained out through the floor and was really cool. No bailing.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Well, so much for that idea in 2015.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #42

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If you have ever dry camped in a tent during Winter in Minnesota
( Temps in the -20 below range) ,where your eggs came from is the least of your worries. Staying warm is your main concern.
So share how you stay warm, Steve. I've camped in my trailer in 0*F temps. What's your tip for staying warm?
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #43

Name: Barry and Kathy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Slab City certainly looks like a different kind of place. I could camp there quite happily for a while if weren't for all the trash scattered around, by the looks of the photos I saw on Google. I can't abide others leaving trash around.
BuzzBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #44

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBunny View Post
Slab City certainly looks like a different kind of place. I could camp there quite happily for a while if weren't for all the trash scattered around, by the looks of the photos I saw on Google. I can't abide others leaving trash around.
Slab City IS an interesting place inhabited by an interesting mix of folks; ne'er-do-wells and marginalized folks, folk artists, snow-birds looking for no-cost winter housing, and others who just drift through. It's kind of a modern, old-west sort of settlement. What's interesting is that they're all "squatting" in an old subdivision that was never developed.

For some reason, Roger Miller's song, always played in my ear when I was last at Slab City many years ago.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger H View Post
So share how you stay warm, Steve. I've camped in my trailer in 0*F temps. What's your tip for staying warm?
We shoveled the snow out of an area ,covered the area with pine balms ,placed a tarp over the pine balms then pitched our tent on top of the tarp. We ate lots of food which was high in fat / calories.
Drank lots of water and avoided alcohol or caffeinated drinks. Having the right equipment is essential. such as wool or down fiiled clothing ,Sorrel boots , long underwear ,and good sleeping bag
with a ground pad. We brought several sets of long underwear on the trip -One set for daytime activities and a set to sleep in. Sunny , calm days were actually nice for outdoor activities but on cloudy windy & cold days more time was spent inside the tent. I worked as a construction electrician
so I was used to working outside in the winter so winter camping was not a difficult adjustment.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry camping