Dry Flush Toilet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dry Flush Toilet?

I came across this yesterday: DryFlush | The Waterless Toilet It looks like a new product. I am perplexed by this and tried to find what the cost would be for bags since being thrifty, I wonder could I afford the bags as they almost look like Mylar. I saw a price on the toilet at another website and it was about $450.00. It is sort of neat in a way. I don't really care to bag our wastes though and put them in the trash can. Maybe I would change my mind if this turned out to be something, well, that I am just not seeing now. It does have a great profile.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
....only if it puts a red ribbon on it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #3

You can achieve the same thing with a 5 gallon pail and a box of plastic garbage bags. No electric motor though.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
I also did a bit of research and a three pack of cartridges (15 uses each) was $60 +$15 s/h... So the math says it is $1.66 per use... My wife & i are happy to stick with our biodegradable bags & kitty litter!
(Her idea... So I'm not gonna rock the boat!)
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Name: Jay Marlette
Trailer: 1976 Scamp
California
It reminds me of a diaper genie.
Jay Marlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #6

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I think this is a bad idea, except maybe for emergency use (and who could afford it for that?). The manufacturer talks a lot about the waste being gone, all gone. Wrong! It ends up in the landfill! I'd rather my black tank waste get disposed of properly at a dump station.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #7

Name: Jay Marlette
Trailer: 1976 Scamp
California
I can see that. If it is like the Diaper Genie, waste would include a bag and a plastic spool that will not break down in a land fill. Disposing liquid waste that can be treated seems the greener option.
Jay Marlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
The manufacturer talks a lot about the waste being gone, all gone. Wrong! It ends up in the landfill! I'd rather my black tank waste get disposed of properly at a dump station.
I have news for you. Where do you think it goes after the dump station collects it?
It gets transported to a Waste-water Treatment Plant (By either pipeline or tank truck) where the "water" is separated from the "Biomass". (Official Government term for s**t.) The water is purified and returned to a river or the ocean (whichever is closer) and the "Biomass" is collected and loaded onto trucks which takes it to...

<drumroll>

A Landfill!

I know this because I service the truck scales at several southern California Waste-water Treatment plants where they weigh the "Biomass" carrying trucks.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I have news for you. Where do you think it goes after the dump station collects it?
It gets transported to a Waste-water Treatment Plant (By either pipeline or tank truck) where the "water" is separated from the "Biomass". (Official Government term for s**t.) The water is purified and returned to a river or the ocean (whichever is closer) and the "Biomass" is collected and loaded onto trucks which takes it to...

<drumroll>

A Landfill!

I know this because I service the truck scales at several southern California Waste-water Treatment plants where they weigh the "Biomass" carrying trucks.

Here in Vermont the whole load ends up in a lagoon where it is treated. Then it gets spread on the fields. This makes the grass grow. The grass is then cut for silage. Over the winter the cows eat the silage and produce milk. Some of the milk is turned into cheese, ice cream......... Raz
Old 05-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Here in Vermont the whole load ends up in a lagoon where it is treated. Then it gets spread on the fields. This makes the grass grow. It is then cut for silage. Over the winter the cows eat the silage and produce milk. Some of the milk is turned into cheese, ice cream......... Raz
Some municipalities have industry which results in heavy metals in the sludge. Not good fertilizer in that case.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Some municipalities have industry which results in heavy metals in the sludge. Not good fertilizer in that case.
Not here, Ben and Jerry's won't allow it.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #12

Name: William E.
Trailer: "Investigating for Retirement"
Texas
You Go FREDRICK - I sold pipe for johns-Manville pipe division for years water/sewer etc... nice to hear someone with some sense - and the newer plastic bags these days are specifically designed to break down more readily in the environment

refreshing to hear some sense and sensibility - I still cannot spell well

believe it or not poop and pee is good for mother earth - lets just not put it everywhere we possibly can...it makes great soil/dirt...

Quote:

<drumroll>

A Landfill!

web3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Look at the video to see how it works. After 15 uses you will have a giant pastic sausage, twisted after each use, to get rid of. For $1.66 a use I can walk to the camps loo and/or empty a better quality porta-potty

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #14

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Look at the video to see how it works. After 15 uses you will have a giant pastic sausage, twisted after each use, to get rid of. For $1.66 a use I can walk to the camps loo and/or empty a better quality porta-potty
I agree....sounds like a bunch of crap to me!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Quote:

<drumroll>

A Landfill!

Frederick, of course it doesn't just disappear! My point was that I think it's better to dispose of human waste at a dump station, a flush toilet or even vault toilet when you go camping. That way the effluent does get treated in some way. The fluid components will be treated at a waste water treatment plant to make them safe to return to our rivers, lakes and oceans. The sewage sludge is digested by anaerobic bacteria and is sometimes dewatered, heat treated or composted to further make it safe. The "biosolids", if properly handled, can be used in silviculture, agriculture or land reclamation rather than ending up in a plastic bag in a landfill. According to a 2010 article in Scientific American, about 50% of sewage sludge in America is reused so it doesn't all end up in landfills!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I know they sell zoo-poo and I think human-poo fertilizers (have to check). I know when I lived in Florida you could go out near the waste station area where there was the sprayers and find wild tomatoes that looked pretty healthy and people picked them. I got sent to Yemen for a month and then found out all my "local" food was cooked with the dried human kind in outdoor ovens. I was also sick for two months straight when I got back and on all kinds of meds to get rid of what ever I had. Not fun. Think I will stick to what I have now.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote