Dub Box USA ~ Fiberglass Campers & Trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Dub Box USA ~ Fiberglass Campers & Trailers

Has anyone seen one of these yet? It'd be good to see one in person!
https://dub-box-usa.com/

I found this on a google search for FG campers, they have the vintage VW bus look. The basic DIY "kit" starts @ $13k and the 2 different camper models start @ $18,600 & $22,250 It looks like they also do a food trailer version.

They do look pretty cool behind a VW bus!
Attached Thumbnails
Dinky-Dub.hood-River_JPG-e1451340236203.jpg2.jpg   IMG_9771.jpg3.jpg  

SF11324-a.jpg2.jpg   IMG_0899-e1446060378211.jpg  

SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The first time we talked about the Dub Box was 06-17-2011, 04:17 AM, when Lex posted the link (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-46869.html). Surely after nearly seven years, somebody has seen one up close and personal? I wish someone would bring one to a gathering where I'm attending!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #3

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13' Std.
Minnesota
I like how they look! On their website it sounds to me like they sell more commercial use trailers than camping trailers, but I looked on their FB page and saw they have a cute small camping prototype and some references to reselling bona fide camping campers. So who knows!? I am also interested in hearing if anyone had real life experience with them.
raster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The top picture is a new, smaller unit called the "Dinky Dub." Lacking stand-up headroom, it's more of a teardrop alternative. The Dub Box, Relic, and Happier Camper are all innovative small, molded fiberglass trailers, but each takes a very different approach. It's a great time for molded fiberglass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raster View Post
...it sounds to me like they sell more commercial use trailers than camping trailers...
It appears they were designed more for that market, too, with the door on the street side to accommodate a vending window on the curb side. North American campsites typically have the picnic table on the passenger side and the utility connections on the driver's side, so it could be a bit awkward some places.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:36 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Has anyone seen one of these yet? It'd be good to see one in person!
Thought I was just coming up on a freshly painted slow VW van couple months ago. After a quarter mile I realized it was a Dub Box. Pulled alongside and gave the driver a thumbs up & the OK sign hoping they would stop....nope. So Steve, I have seen one in person....at 55mph it looked nice from the outside .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Thought I was just coming up on a freshly painted slow VW van couple months ago. After a quarter mile I realized it was a Dub Box. Pulled alongside and gave the driver a thumbs up & the OK sign hoping they would stop....nope. So Steve, I have seen one in person....at 55mph it looked nice from the outside .
I can see where most would think they were a custom build from an old VW van body. It's good to know they are building & selling them. Since they are headquartered in Texas I would think they would be seen running around somewhere in the Southwest.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I guess I also thought they were made out of old VW Busses. I was even wondering if they had sufficient raw materials (old vans) to modify.

Good to see they are actually new production. Thank you.

I expect that makes them more consistent, with fewer warranty and even cost issues. They seem suited for small food trucks.

Nostalgia also seems well suited for the weekend van rental market, where once you've spent a few days in one, you realize you might not want to own it.

I loved my '85 Westfalia, but don't want it back. Newer tall vans are way better.

Here is one such Nostalgia van rental company.
Vintage Surfari Wagons
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I think most of us who owned VW campers in the 60s and 70s when they were pretty new would no longer find their performance and reliability acceptable today. BTW, if you go by a VW specialty repair shop, some times you see 6-8 or a dozen old vans parked in back. ( at least in Calif) On one trip we stopped to visit 2 different friends who had nice Westfalias in their yard . . . .both needing engines. Engines go for over $ 6,000 now, remanuf or custom built . Performance US engines go for waaaay less than that ! And a recent post on the 'net recently showed a bunch of nice custom VW vans , campers , and customs : the one of which we speak was labeled a " DUD BOX " ! LOL David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
tom I love the new line of small vans they are building now. I have encountered several used as campers now!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Where were these when we drove VW Vans? We had at least five over the years from 1969 - 1999. Our 13' Scamp was a nice match with our white '99 Vanagon, but these would surely have been eye catchers.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #11

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I loved my '85 Westfalia, but don't want it back. Newer tall vans are way better.
Driving on ill-repaired, dirt and gravel roads I would take the old torsion bar suspended VW Bus any day!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
roads

we were going to go somewhere in n.m. we got on the gravel road I couldn't back around fast enough.

what a road it shook our camper so bad I was very worried about it!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
I guess I also thought they were made out of old VW Busses. I was even wondering if they had sufficient raw materials (old vans) to modify.

Good to see they are actually new production. Thank you.

I expect that makes them more consistent, with fewer warranty and even cost issues. They seem suited for small food trucks.

Nostalgia also seems well suited for the weekend van rental market, where once you've spent a few days in one, you realize you might not want to own it.

Here is one such Nostalgia van rental company.
Vintage Surfari Wagons
I followed these when they were first made in England. The original mold was made using 2 VW vans put together, so the front of the camper matched the back of the camper, as they were both the rear end of a VW camper.

CindyL
Old 03-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The first time we talked about the Dub Box was 06-17-2011, 04:17 AM, when Lex posted the link (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-46869.html). Surely after nearly seven years, somebody has seen one up close and personal? I wish someone would bring one to a gathering where I'm attending!
Well, they list their address as being located in Aurora, just a hop, skip and a jump from you Donna. Maybe make a side trip when you're headed south some day?

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
They do look like they took the rear part of two vans and welded them together.
Smaller ones just cut away the front seats.
But if, as claimed, they are molded fiberglass. they're doing a great job.
Apparently willing to do custom designs.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You're paying a lot for cute.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:06 AM   #17

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You're paying a lot for cute.
that happens to a lot of men
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #18

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
There is one at West Broad VW in Richmond VA that has been sitting in front of the dealer for years. I never really looked at it close - just pass by it - looks good from 20 feet away.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:56 AM   #19

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Dub Box USA
NC
Unhappy I can't recommend a Dub Box USA camper (I own one)

I purchased a Dub Box USA (small "Dinky") camper in December, 2018 and have experienced significant problems with the quality of the camper since I received it, as well as attempting to resolve warranty claims with the owner, Heather Gardella. It should be noted, this business moved to an Aurora, Oregon location. I am a Army military veteran who was really hoping for a quality camper to travel in.

I delayed posting this review to see if Dub Box USA would respond to my Better Business Bureau complaint; in June, 2019, the Oregon BBB closed the complaint with a C+ rating because Dub Box USA failed to respond after several attempts.

The camper I purchased, included a one-year written warranty on parts and workmanship. Within four months from purchase, my camper had some seven warranty issues, to include damage to my vehicle which towed the Dub Box USA camper, as a result of substandard manufacturing of their camper and improperly installed parts. This also included a defective exterior paint job, defective or incorrect components, and substandard craftsmanship resulting in a loss to me totaling approximately $3,300.00.

Communications with the owner Heather, or her assistant Scott were difficult. Both the owner and her assistant Scott, claimed on numerous occasions, they would resolve the issues with my Dub Box USA camper, but failed to do so. For several months, Scott indicated "a check would be in the mail soon" for the warranty issues, which did not occur. A separate email from Heather the owner, indicated "they were having financial problems".

I have also filed a complaint with the Oregon Department of Justice in May, 2019. Therefore, I can not in good conscious, recommend anyone do business with Dub Box USA.
ChuckinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Chuck. Sorry to hear of your troubles. As far as I recall, you are the first Dub-Box owner to join and post.

Your experience is sadly common in the RV industry (google “RV quality issues”). We like to think molded fiberglass manufacturers are better, and some are, but they are not immune. Small, low volume producers are often vulnerable financially (limited capitalization) and have communication issues (limited staff). We just lost two others, Parkliner and Lil Snoozy. The Lil Snoozy failure was especially heartbreaking because numerous buyers lost deposits of around $10K and were left with no trailer at all.

None of that helps you, of course. Do you like the basic design of your trailer well enough to swallow the cost of repairs and move ahead, or will you cut your losses and move on?

If it’s a keeper, you’ll find lots of support and technical help here. Best wishes, whatever you decide.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote