Duluth Hills - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Duluth Hills

For some reason, I'm scared to take the camper up and down the hills in Duluth. I would like to travel into Wisconsin and across to the UP in Michigan to visit relatives, but the Duluth Hills scare me so I'm limited as to where I go.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I can't help you with the specifics of getting to the UP, but so many of the beautiful places in the US & Canada involve driving "hills" or even mountains that I'd work my way up to being comfortable with them. Otherwise you are limiting yourself to a small part of the country.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #3

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
A Trailblazer towing a Scamp 13Dlx will be absolutely fine. You have plenty of vehicle weight to keep the Scamp where it belongs. Duluth has some crazy ramps, but if you avoid rush hour, take it easy and swing wide, you will be fine. I have been through there more than once towing, sometimes with a much larger trailer than yours. The UP is too beautiful to miss! Make sure you make it all the way up to Copper Harbor!
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #4

Minnesota
Duluth Hills

Thanks Paul. I need that little push to just not worry about going up and down the hills with the camper. I just got the Trailblazer (2 months ago), and haven't even had a chance to hook up the Scamp to it so I don't know how it will handle. The Camper is stored for the winter.

I've been to MI many times, my folks were born and raised in Houghton Hancock MI. I have always given myself an extra day of being on the road so I could camp (with tent) at Sunday Lake Campground. I love it there!

I guess that will be the first thing I have to do in the spring is take it to Duluth and cross the bridge to WI. Once I do it I'll be okay, but in this "older age" I don't have the spunk or guts to do these things anymore.
God's Country, Minnesota
Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The Trailblazer will do just fine. I used to tow with 1998 Trailblazer and have towed my trailer all over the Oregon Cascades, much higher and steeper than anything you'll encounter in MN and WI. I've been over the rockies with Trailblazer sans trailer.

I would suggest that you tow the trailer around a bit to get used to how it feels behind the Trailblazer. You'll do just fine. Have fun. When you get brave enough come out to the west coast and visit some really nice mountains.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #6

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The Trailblazer will do just fine. I used to tow with 1998 Trailblazer and have towed my trailer all over the Oregon Cascades, much higher and steeper than anything you'll encounter in MN and WI. I've been over the rockies with Trailblazer sans trailer.

I would suggest that you tow the trailer around a bit to get used to how it feels behind the Trailblazer. You'll do just fine. Have fun. When you get brave enough come out to the west coast and visit some really nice mountains.

I think in 98 it was still called a Blazer had the V6 and about 180 hp. still a good machine. I think the Trailblazer came out in 01 with the I6 that has about 290 Hp and a lot more torque. I have had two. I pull our VT across the Smokies twice a year and the only trouble I have is keeping it slowed down. I doubt that the OP will hardly know the 13ft trailer is back there after towing for a couple of hundred miles. I see about a 6 mpg drop in mileage to about 16 on the Smokies trip. When we go to the UP it is less fewer mountains My recollection of the hills around Duluth are not going to be a problem. Agree wil Paul about the ramps , but most of my experience has been about 1:00 in the morning hightailing it up to International Falls on fishing trips.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
For some reason, I'm scared to take the camper up and down the hills in Duluth. I would like to travel into Wisconsin and across to the UP in Michigan to visit relatives, but the Duluth Hills scare me so I'm limited as to where I go.
We have had ScampCamps at Buffalo Campgronds and at Two Harbors, as well as Grand Marais. All of these destinations involved taking our 13Dlxe Scamp through Duluth and it's hills. We tow with a Ford Escape and have experienced no problems whatsoever. In fact, there are plenty of other interesting places around the country which are far more challenging for access. Go for it,just take it slow at first, soon you will feel as confident as driving without the trailer.
Some of the side streets have severe angles when going up and down the hills and meeting cross streets, go slow there to avoid striking the plumbing in front or the gray tank in back. Stay on the main streets where possible.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #8

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Mary Ann, the problem to me in Duluth is the traffic and some tricky lane-changing places. If you cross the bridge to Wisconsin though, I think you have missed much of that. I would hate to have a trailer in the Canal Street area! Or in the hills to the west. Where you are going should not be a problem. If I want to see Duluth, the trailer would be parked at a campground and then I would go on in to visit. Passing through on your route should be fine. Running around Duluth is another thing, as you know! Great place to visit though.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I've towed my current 16' trailer as well as a 23' Rockwood trailer through Duluth with relatively short-wheelbase tow vehicles. No problems. Never saw or felt any reason to break a sweat. You'll be fine. Make sure there's a hundred pounds or more of hitch weight on your trailer, take your time driving, and all will be well. You will enjoy the Keweenaw Peninsula, Lake of the Clouds, Bond Falls, and many of the other nice places in Michigan's U.P.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I went to the Saxon, Ironwood area last summer. I went across on Highway 2 through Duluth/Superior. It was an easy trip. I was pulling a 16' Casita with a Chrysler Town & Country. No problems.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #11

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
Mary Ann, With a 275 HP Trailblazer towing a 13' Scamp you will barely even notice our smallish hills here in Duluth. You really will only encounter two moderate hills as your coming into town before you exit to Wisconsin(assuming your travelling North on I-35). The most noticeable will be Thompson Hill where there is a rest area at the top. I tow a 3000# 17' Casita with a 195 HP 6 cyl Jeep and the only problem I encounter is that I may be slowed down to 45mph by the time I get to the top but that won't happen to you with a 13'. If your coming from the west on Hwy 2 than you will only have one hill to descend down to the bridge to flatland Wisconsin. Anyway I'm sure you will be just fine so don't let a couple hills stop you from travelling to the UP- it's a beautiful drive I've made many times.....
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I lived there from 69-72 and went to Washington Jr High which was about half way down the hill. We used to watch the cars during a snow storm sliding down the hill. One day some kid at the top of the hill let loose a car tire and it damn near killed someone. The buses used to zigzag up the worst parts of the hill. Haven't been there in 30 years and never drove it so not much help.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Mary Ann,

What road are you coming into Duluth on? 2, 53, 61, 210, 23. You can avoid the high bridges, traffic and hills by going into Wisconsin via the scenic, low Oliver bridge.

I am a timid driver and would use the Oliver bridge if I had to drive. I'll give you directions if you tell me how you come into Duluth.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #14

Minnesota
Nancy. Usually when I go to WI, or MI I take #53 near the mall over the high bridge into WI, then Hwy #2 to MI. I don't have a problem driving anywhere with my vehicle, it's just the thought of going up and down the hill with the camper behind that bothers me. I don't want to lose power so I can't make it up the hill and burn out the tranny, or have the camper give me a big push down the hill. LOL I know.... BIG BABY...lol
God's Country, Minnesota
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Nancy. Usually when I go to WI, or MI I take #53 near the mall over the high bridge into WI, then Hwy #2 to MI. I don't have a problem driving anywhere with my vehicle, it's just the thought of going up and down the hill with the camper behind that bothers me. I don't want to lose power so I can't make it up the hill and burn out the tranny, or have the camper give me a big push down the hill. LOL I know.... BIG BABY...lol
Our Escape is a 4CYL
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #16

Mary Ann,

We are with the others. Your car has plenty to get you where you want to go. We don't come down Trinity (53) very often. We come from further west and prefer Hwy 2 truck route. But your car can easily do the other way. There was a much too big truck that lost its brakes the way I think you come. The truck was not on the truck route.

Nancy
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #17

Floyd, The route from Buffalo House to Duluth on I-35 is a bit more gentle than Hwy 53...in my opinion. Hwy 2 is just a longer grade I think with a truck lane going up. You are right, your 4 cylinder did the job.

Nancy
Old 12-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I tow a 17 foot trillium with my 06 envoy ( gm version of trailblazer) and never have problems.I generally like to use 90 from albert lea to La crosse,
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #19

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
I know.... BIG BABY...lol
I wouldn't call that being a big baby. I'd call it wanting to be certain that what you are doing is going to end well. That's wise. You sought the opinion of people with experience. Also wise. And now, you can follow some good advice. Also wise! Have fun!
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #20

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
just remember to drive your own car and not worry about the others. your not in a hurry, let them go around you . you just drive at a speed your comfortable with.