Dumb Question on Metric Bolts - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #61

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
... did you ever hear the old saying "A pint is a pound, the world around".
Yes. Ironically, it's not quite true: there are variously sized volume measurements called a "pint", and of course it meant a pint of water (only). I won't even get into weight versus mass...

The SI (metric) equivalent is that a litre of water has a mass of one kilogram... approximately. I agree that this is occasionally convenient, but I think it is unimportant compared to the rest of the consistency within the SI units. That consistency is most appreciated when doing technical calculations, so the average person doesn't appreciate it in the activities of daily life.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #62

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A tip: if you actually need a metric bolt for a vehicle, don't worry about whether or not the hardware store stocks it - get it from the auto dealership parts department (if it is original equipment, rather than custom work). Yes, it will be much more expensive that way, but paying that for a bolt or two won't kill you. OEM hardware is generally very good (especially from companies like Toyota), and in many cases it is very specifically suited to the application and so is more appropriate than even a correctly selected generic replacement.
Yes but, a dealership is a $60 ferry ride away, the hardware store is just down the road. A OM bolt gets relly pricey that way.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #63

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
If you buy one from the dealer, perhaps the future purchases could be mailed?? I find dealers, today, are more apt to bend a little for you more so than years ago.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #64

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The SI (metric) equivalent is that a litre of water has a mass of one kilogram... approximately.
'tis exactly equal under standard conditions. These measurements are the basis for the metric system developed by the French way back.

For those not familiar, this is is a bit of an how different metric measurements correlate..

For water: 1cm x 1cm x 1cm = 1cm^3 (or 1cc) = 1 milliliter = 1 gram

This simple correlation of length, volume and weight measurements is what makes the metric system easy to use in many aspects of life.

For measuring energy, calories too are much simpler than BTU's as 1 calorie is simply the energy amount of required to raise one gram of water through one degree centigrade.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #65

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For measuring energy, calories too are much simpler than BTU's as 1 calorie is simply the energy amount of required to raise one gram of water through one degree centigrade.
The BTU is simply the energy amount required to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit.

Talk about confusion, there is a small calorie and a large calorie, the large calorie is equal to 1000 small calories. I just don't see how the metric system is any easier. It just uses different numbers, maybe the math is a little bit simpler because it is base 10. But then it is easy to get the decimal in the wrong place. Many of the recent scientific advances that affect people the most have been in base 2 (computers). In my opinion the metric system is the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #66

Registry
I knew that about the BTU, it was the unit measurement I first used. The pound though does not directly correlate to other units of measurement in the Imperial system as they do in metric.

I have done numerous calculations using calories at school and work, and have never heard of two sizes. Maybe it was in one of the classes I skipped to go skiing.

I have extensively used both systems, Imperial a lot more than Metric, but by far prefer the simplicity of the metric system. There just might be a good reason that all the developed countries in the world use the metric system, except one. Any guesses?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #67

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have done numerous calculations using calories at school and work, and have never heard of two sizes. Maybe it was in one of the classes I skipped to go skiing.
The big calorie is the food one. I did not realize it was a 1000:1 Cool!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #68

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The big calorie is the food one. I did not realize it was a 1000:1 Cool!
'splains things then, I have never counted those ones.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #69

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I guess I have enough calories around my waist (waste) to fuel a nuke sub for a year.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #70

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Back in the dark ages, when I was in college, a friend and I decided to re-label our speedometers in more obscure units. He chose furlongs per fortnight for his Packard and I converted to light years per picosecond for my Honda motorcycle. It made for interesting conversations with the local minions of the law when they pulled us over for exceeding limits posted in more mundane units. When they told me I was exceeding 60 MPH I just asked them if they could convert that to the units shown on my speedometer. Yes, we did have speedometer faces labeled in the units of our choice. I even offered my slide rule to assist them in the calculation.

I guess we had too much free time on our hands back then.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #71

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Love it, but did it work??
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #72

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
A large calorie here a large calorie there and soon indeed one arrives at the vast waist band with nary a calculation.
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #73

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
At the Escape factory in Chilliwack,BC they build and measure using inches,feet no metric. Not all metric bolts have the same thread pitch. Their is coarse and fine just like SAE bolts.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #74

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Metric can be worse. I've seen the same bolt with 4 different pitches, on the same vehicle. IIRC, it was a 10 or 12mm.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #75

Texas
I would have opted for something in light years/meter then you really would have them. I have to admit when I was growing up the cops were more lenient. If they pulled you over for speeding they would just say slow down and if you had been drinking he would say where do you live? - Okay drive slow and go to bed. [no lectures now - I dont drink and drive anymore at the same time.]
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #76

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I would have opted for something in light years/meter then you really would have them. I have to admit when I was growing up the cops were more lenient. If they pulled you over for speeding they would just say slow down and if you had been drinking he would say where do you live? - Okay drive slow and go to bed. [no lectures now - I dont drink and drive anymore at the same time.]
You forgot to point out they would also confiscate your booze (for themselves) if you were underage prior to sending you home!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #77

Pennsylvania
Registry
Since we have strayed so far off topic here is a question:

If item A weighs 6 oz and item B is 8 oz and both costs the same, B will advertise that you are getting 33% more than A . However, isn't A 25% less than B? What happened to the other 8%??
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #78

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since we have strayed so far off topic here is a question:

If item A weighs 6 oz and item B is 8 oz and both costs the same, B will advertise that you are getting 33% more than A . However, isn't A 25% less than B? What happened to the other 8%??
False advertising and should be turned over to the AG.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #79

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
In Jim's apparent mathematical discrepancy, both statements of proportion are correct. The price of purchase is irrelevant. The divisor in each case, whether it be 8 or 6 is considered to be whole, complete, 100% of itself (the denominator or defining whole). The dividend in each case is measured against the divisor--the referential quantity. There is no discrepancy : 6 is 3/4 or .75 or 75/100 of 8. 8 is 1-1/3 or 1.33 or 133/100 of 6. There is no relationship between or operation to be applied to proportions calculated against discrepant "wholes" which will yield "lost" quantities, percentages, or bucketfuls. Carney trick for mouth breathers.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #80

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Wow Jack, I would have just said the denominators are different.

I occasionally do some drafting with AutoCAD. I always use inches and fractions thereof, (in X,Y format @1-1/4,5-7/8). I type the fractions, except I use .5 instead of 1/2. I realize that this is kinda anachronistic of me.
I only work in mm if it is a client requirement.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote