Dumbest Trailering Thing I've Ever Done - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2002, 05:19 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yep

Posted by Mary F, Moderator:

Yep

Leaving out the drain plug on a boat...

Kinda just the opposite of Rick's problem with winterizing his Bigfoot in his driveway!

And then there was the time we had that busted shower trap... Oop. I already said I was only going to admit to crimping the tailgate!

NEXT?

Old 11-04-2002, 07:02 PM   #16

Dumbest Trailering Thing I've Ever Done

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator:

well if we are going for two

My second most stupid thing.
dumping the black/gray tanks. as I open the black, the pressure knocks the hose loose. I am standing in front. so all down my sweats I get this mess, double uck.. on my shoes too. the only thing I can say is, I'm glad I wasn't in my drive like someone else. I had just cleaned out all personal stuff so had nothing to put on in place of the sweats. Oh the smell. I scrubbed for a hour after I got home. but lesson learned. double check the drain hose, don't stand in front, and open very slowly. Then there was the time I forgot to close the black valve......

come on you shy people fess up. if it's already been done, then put your spin on it.

Old 11-04-2002, 08:21 PM   #17

haven't towed much yet

Posted by Steve DeWeese, Member:

haven't towed much yet

Alright, I do not know what to say because I really have not towed much before, but I am looking forward to it. About 2 months ago I had surgery on my right arm for a pinched nerve (still not much better). 3 weeks after the surgery I was taking my trailer to my fathers house so that he could work on it since I can not. I was driving my old S-10 truck when I began smelling smoke. I was half way to his house so I pulled over and the smoking began big time. I grabbed the dog from the truck and quickly put him in the trailer. I noticed a lovely orange glow under the truck with sparks dropping from under the hood. I almost brought the fire extinguisher but did not. I unhooked the safety chain, wires, and the clip for the slide in hitch and attempted to lift the trailer and move it away from the truck but it would not budge. I had a bolt through the hitch release to keep it on the ball and removed it (took awhile to undo it) and it was burning nicely now. I managed to move and save the trailer, but the truck is now a crispy critter in the junkyard (burned real nice). I later discovered that in my panic, I forgot to pull the pin in the hitch. I was not supposed to lift more than 5 lbs with my right arm. This could have been a lot worse. I got a lecture from my mother, my father rushed down to get my trailer, and I bought another old S-10 blazer.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:01 AM   #18

Class A not travel trailer dumb thing

Posted by Jane Eno, Member:

Class A not travel trailer dumb thing

Well, I don't have an egg yet, but I've done lots of dumb things with my Class A Allegro.

Last spring I went to take it out for the first time and turned on the generator to check that the electric would run off it before I took off for my trip. The generator ran fine, but the electric wouldn't switch to it at all. I was very upset, spent a long time messing around, and then went and got one of the machinics from the shop saying my motorhome was broken. He opened up the electrical compartment, plugged the electric cord into the outlet to hook up the generator and left. I wanted to die!

Then there was the time I thought I'd fill my water tank at night. Hooked it up and started talking to a neighbor. When I looked around the water was draining out into the driveway. Fortunately I had stuck the hose in loosely so instead of the water pressure forcing the water into the trailer through the drains, it just backed up and came back out the same place it was going in. I kept talking and causually drained the tank after turning off the hose -- trying not to show a hint of the panick I was feeling.

And how many of you have been sure your refrigerator was broken because it wouldn't run off the propane? Then you actually open the propane tank so it can! It really helps to open the tank first!

I could go on and on. Thank god these motorhomes and tough things -- I haven't managed to wreck it yet!

Best,

Jane
Old 11-05-2002, 09:43 AM   #19

Been there, done that!

Posted by Charles Watts, Member:

Been there, done that!

>>broken because it wouldn't run off the propane? Then you >>actually open the propane tank

I usually manage to do this at least once a year.

One time I spent an afternoon troubleshooting why the refrigerator wouldn't lite on propane even though I double checked the bottles were turned on .... only to find out that I had never turned the refrigerator switch from "off" to "gas"!

>>wreck it

I did not hit that tree .... the tree hit me. I mean, that sucker jumped right out behind me!
Old 11-05-2002, 11:17 AM   #20

OK, me again.

Posted by Ginny D., Member:

OK, me again.

This is a follow-on story to the winterizing one. After I winterized, I left the sink taps open. The following spring it was time to flush the pink stuff out and sanitize the system. You guessed it, I forgot to close the taps before I attached the water hose to the trailer. Turned it on, all pleased with myself but couldn't quite figure out why the running water sound was so loud!. Thank goodness for shop vacs. And no permanent damage to the trailer.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:35 PM   #21

My Bo Bo

Posted by Mike Tassinari, Member:

My Bo Bo

Hello Everyone!!!!!

As the owner of a 11&1/2 ft Lance 1121 Slide/out I have the following to confess....

How about forgetting to close the Slide/out room and drive down the Interstate at 65 MPH....

A kind Motorist came along side me and was honking his horn big time.....and pointing to my rig......I wave and smiled as I though he was telling me what I great Rig I had and continued down the highway..

He came along a second time and honked again and pointed to my rig again,,I finally looked in ther mirror and almost died when I saw the slide/out still in the "out" position....Thank you very much!!!!
Mike Tassinari
Old 03-01-2003, 11:22 PM   #22

Posted by Nancy Wolf, Member:

I gotta tell one on my parents since we don't have a trailer yet. My dad says my mom always nags him... "Did you remember this? Did you remember that?" My mom says my dad would forget his 78 year old head if it wasn't attached. Anyway, one day they were traveling down the road in their old Ford van pulling their 27' trailer behind them... they thought. My mom looks out the driver's side window and screams. There goes my parents' trailer passing them on the downhill slope in the fast lane of the highway! It gently rolled to a stop at the median. They quickly pulled over in front of it, hooked it up again and took off! Mom says that it took about 10 years off her life.

Nancy
In Oregon
Old 03-02-2003, 07:42 AM   #23

OH!!, come on Nancy, that really wasn't your parents, now, was it? That's one I'm not sure I would get over. just strap me in a chair.

While I'm here, I'll give confession number three.
backing out of the long drive to leave on a trip.
Tom in his co-pilot chair on the right!
both checking to make sure I don't take the fence when there was a jerk, and sudden stopping sensation. ???
out the door I went. had been dragging the electric cord and just ran up it a ways which caused the jerk. like stepping on your shoe laces with the other foot. I still don't like thinking about this one. course this was the MH so it doesn't count.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:20 AM   #24

Great times ahead

Posted by Suz, Moderator:

Great times ahead

Since I'm fairly new at this RVing thing, I haven't done the dumbest thing yet. Give me time though and I'm sure (knowing me) it'll be a doozy! Stay tuned!
Old 03-02-2003, 09:18 AM   #25

Chock One Up To Experience

Posted by steve L., Member:

Chock One Up to Experience

I'm still pretty much a newbie to RV camping. Lots of tent camping experience carries over though. For example, now I always eyeball the site for signs of where previous rain flowed off the site so that I can fine tune the trailer/tent location (DAMHIKT). Probably more useful when boon-docking when there's no particular location where you're expected to park the trailer.

On my second RV trip I was already feeling pretty confident in my set up procedures. I backed one side of the trailer up on leveling blocks and went about releasing the trailer tongue. As I sit here thinking about this I still don't know how I managed it, but as I freed the hitch, the trailer gently rolled back off the blocks and the hitch dropped down flat on the ground. No wheel on the jacking post. I can be pretty creative when I mess up, but how did I get the hitch off the ball without running the post down first? Doh!

For some reason, I didn't want to grind the unprotected post end into the ground so I had to dig a little hole under one side of the hitch frame so that I could fit my jack under the hitch and jack everything up to get the wheel on the post.

I've noticed that RV-ing is a little like boating in that when a new camper/boater arrives at the site/dock, everyone in the immediate vicinity stops what they're doing to see if the new arrival will be providing any free amusement. Thankfully, no witnesses this time and traveling alone allows me to quickly adopt a jaded demeanor as the next traveler arrives.

If a trailer drops in the woods and no one is around to witness it, did the camper really say those nasty words?
Old 03-02-2003, 10:24 AM   #26

>>If a trailer drops in the woods and no one is around to witness it, did the camper really say those nasty words?<<
probably
Old 03-02-2003, 11:21 AM   #27

whoopsies while camping

Posted by GregnMel, Member:

whoopsies while camping

Since our trailer hasn't left our driveway/garage since we got it a few months ago I'll have to share a tent camping whoopsie instead...

Once upon a time, a loooooong time ago, my girlfriends and I were preparing to go on our first trip (sans parents). We were about 14 or 15 years old. We went through our pre-pack check list that we'd prepared which included ensuring that we knew how and had all the parts to put up our tent. Everything went perfectly!

We loaded the gear into our "chauffeur's" car and headed to the camp site. By the time we got there it was starting to drizzle a bit. No big deal...we were ready for anything! We got the gear out of the truck only to discover there were no tent poles!!!! Shoot! We'd left them behind! Luckily our "chauffeur" was still with us and able to help with a mad dash back to the house. Apparently, we'd left them on the grass right where we'd practiced setting up the tent. DOH!!

Because of our wonderful planning, we ended up putting up the tent in the dark, by the light of the headlights, and in the pouring rain! What a character builder that was.

Don't worry, as soon as I have a worthy whoopsie to share regarding the trailer I'll let you know!
Old 03-02-2003, 07:29 PM   #28

1st time out

Posted by Daniel G, Member:

1st time out

After owning our Boler for a week I thought I had it pretty much figured out and off to Banff National Park we went. First of it was the only thing I have ever towed in my life and took me about an hour to put air in the tires...maybe I should of practiced backing up a little more? We get to our campsite on Tunnel Mountain with a pull through site (I learned my lesson at the gas station), unhitched, block the tires, plugged in the electricity, connect the hose and turn on the water, etc. I checked to make sure everything was working fine and out on a five hour hike we went. Now here is the dumb thing, when checking to make sure everything was fine turning on and off the taps, I checked the toilet and it was filling up with water just like at home... oops this does not work like the ones at home does it! When we pulled into the site we see some people looking at the Boler, I just figured they never saw a 17footer before but as we drove closer I can now see water pouring out the side.
To make a long story short. the water from the toilet overflowed went down the shower drain, filled the tank and came back up the drain. Luckily the trailer was not level and I didn't damage the floor.
Part two will be explaining how not to put on a sewer hose!!
Daniel