Dumbest Trailering Thing I've Ever Done - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-02-2003, 07:48 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator:

Quote:
Orginally posted by Daniel G
When we pulled into the site we see some people looking at the Boler, I just figured they never saw a 17footer before but as we drove closer I can now see water pouring out the side.
To make a long story short. the water from the toilet overflowed went down the shower drain, filled the tank and came back up the drain. Luckily the trailer was not level and I didn't damage the floor.
Part two will be explaining how not to put on a sewer hose!!
Daniel
This is my own personal opinion, but I think this is the best worst/dumbest thing so far. you had an audience. group hug, (image no longer available) Glad you survived. (besides, I'd be laughing my head off (image no longer available) Sorry for my insensitivity, Daniel

Old 03-02-2003, 08:08 PM   #30

the worst

Posted by Mike T, Member:

the worst
or dumbest,

My first winterizing experience I failed to throw the system by pass valve into by pass when filling up the plumbing system with antifreeze. After 4 gallons the pump was still thirsty and calling for more. I called the dealer and explained to him that I had put in 4 gallons of antifreeze and asked how much should it take? He explained that I shouldn't have to put more that 3 liters or so in. I discovered my mistake at that point. DUH..FLUSH!

Old 06-02-2003, 12:15 AM   #31

Dumb thing

Posted by Ron and Bernice, Member:

I thought I would bring this back to the top.

I just remembered a real dumb thing that I did several years ago. I had just brought our 16 ft Scamp home from the storage lot and parked it in the driveway. I chocked the wheels and unhooked it. Unlocked the door and went in to open the roof vent to help it cool off. My two teenagers and wife came out to see what was going on.

We all know that there isn't enough room for 4 standing in our trailers at the same time, so two went to the dinette and sat down. We all started talking about camping and ended up all trying to sit at the dinette.

The next thing we knew, the trailer rared up like a wild horse as we all slid to the back wall. I HAD FORGOT TO PUT DOWN THE STABILIZER JACKS.

Now the floor was at a 45 to 60 degree angle. I told every one not to move. Then I slowly climbed up the cabinets and floor toward the front. I then told my son to move toward the front also. When we got far enough forward, the trailer came back down the correct way with a bang. Everyone then moved to the front and outside.

I put the stabilizer jacks down and have never forgot to put them down again.

Luckily nothing was damaged and I had it chocked, so we didn't roll down the driveway.

You might say I have experience.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:23 AM   #32

Posted by DaveInCali, Member:

Seeing that I just bought my Casita the other day, you all will have to wait a little bit before I can add to this funny thread.I do have a few camping stories that occured though.

One was when my wife and I came up to visit her parents who had a 1971 Barth Mororhome. She always cooked these great meals, it was like never leaving home at times. Anyway, she was serving the salad and divided it up onto plates and my father in law and I were yakking away (as we used to, RIP Herbie).

Unknown to me, she served me the salad along with the wet paper towel that she kept in the ziplock to keep it fresh. I was talking and you guessed it, I had the towel into my mouth and almost gagged. LOL

From them on, I used to tell her to please hold the Bounty.

Another time, we went to visit them in Pismo Beach and we had a tent and air mattress setup. Well, we put the air mattress in the Barth to inflate while were were sitting around the table eating outside. Of course, we were catching up on old times and yes, we forgot the air mattress.

My MIL looked through the rear side window of their Barth and screamed...OH MY GOD! That mattress was WAY over-inflated and I had to go in there and shut the compressor off. Let me tell you, I had about a litter of kittens praying that it wouldn't blow up in my face as I unhooked it.

I am SURE that I will have some more stories soon if history repeats itself (which it seems to here).
Old 06-02-2003, 09:38 PM   #33

dumb??

Posted by Joe MacDonald, Member:

dumb??
How's this in my rush to get an early start on new mod's this season, trying to keep up with you know who's, I decided on my day off to pull my trillium to a friends shop so I could work in a heated shop to install my new stabilizers. Good Idea right??
Wrong-- if you ever pull a trailer when it's below freezing always double check your tounge latch. Mine popped onto the ball like normal, I had already made sure it was the right ball size.
I hooked up the chains, plugged in the wiring, and took off.
I made it about 300 feet down my street( downhill) hit a frost heave and no longer had a trailer on my ball-- seems a piece of ice jammed the catch and it didn't quite lock down.
Now here's the really dumb part-- in my panic not to be seen by my neighbors I grabbed the tongue with it's bent jack post and lifted it up and put it back on the ball. Then I spent 3 weeks in agony with a popped disk.
IMPORTANT LESSON LEARNED--- ask for help--- you're not 20 any more
Old 06-03-2003, 04:34 PM   #34

not stupid... but embarrassing

Posted by Eric C, Member:

not stupid... but embarrassing
On the back of my Alumabox I used to have 2 steel eyebolts below the back window. When camping I would use them with a piece of rope as a clothesline. During this one camping trip in particular, it rained cats and dogs the entire time. Not being afraid of melting, my frinds and I carried on as always, including a spirited game of football... in the mud... really gooey mud... mud that soaked in and went everywhere. I returned to camp and took my muddy socks, shorts, t-shirt and underpants off and placed them on the line. The next day I set off for the 4 hour drive home. I noticed that people were giving me funny looks, some laughing, some looking rather disgusted. An hour out of camp I remembered... blowing in the breeze were a single pair of very muddy underpants... the socks, shorts and t-shirt had blown off the back, hopefully not onto any cars. I never stopped the rest of the way home for fear of running into some of the people that had passed and seen what I am sure they thought were... well... you can imagine... I wanted to die...
Old 08-16-2003, 11:10 AM   #35

Water, water, everywhere....

Posted by Patricia Baxter, Member:

Water, water, everywhere....
We were quite proud of our little trailer and had it parked in the drive as we had done some work on the plumbing. My brother and his wife called to say they would like to stop by overnite on their way to Chicago with a load of furniture for their daughter's new apartment. We carefully made up the bed in the trailer, hooked up the electricity and city water lines and went back inside the house.

We just forgot one little detail- to double check our "repairs" and the connections to be sure that they could handle our recently raised city water pressure. When I opened the door top let them in, Niagra Falls! They slept in our basement and we learned the value of a home dehumidifier in drying out an egg.........

Moral of the story -check those lines EVERY time you connect to a new water system!
Old 08-16-2003, 11:35 AM   #36

Water pressure

Posted by Suz, Moderator:

Water pressure
Oh, man. That must have been sickening.

Did that happen even with a water pressure regulator?
Old 08-16-2003, 11:37 AM   #37

Conglomeration of Tales.

Posted by Steve Stanfield, Member:

Conglomeration of Tales.
We'd just been married about 1-1/2 years - one of which I spent in South Korea - and we'd been assigned to Wurtsmith AFB, in Oscoda, Michigan. Naturally, we had to travel there in January. Being a southern California guy, I had no worries. Right!

While I was overseas, my wife had bought a 12' tin camper, one of those things with a narrow bed and barely enough room to stand next to it. We had it loaded will a bunch of our stuff, including about 20 houseplants on the tiny fold-down top bunk.

While traveling through Illinois, we detoured to see 'Lincoln's Log Cabin.' Those of you who have been there will already know that the original was lost after being on display at a World's Fair. The State of Illinois kindly set up a small log cabin near the original site and set out huge signs directing tourists to it.

The road to the cabin site from the highway was fairly rough two-lane, but once we arrived, we saw a nice 4-lane divided road leading out in another direction. It wasn't on the map, so I decided it was new, and probably returned to the state highway via a more gentle route.

We followed the road, and after a couple of miles it turned into a 2- lane road, Then it turned into a 2-lane dirt road, and with no place to back up or turn around. It went between some gate posts and meandered through a cornfield and across a pasture.

I thought the best course of action was to get to the open pasture and turn around. Too bad the cornfield was axle-deep in mud!

The farmer pulled us out (backwards) with his tractor for only $20.

When we finally reached Michigan the weather was really cold, and there was about 4' of snow on the ground in Oscoda. The road was hard-packed ice, so I drove very carefully at about 20 mph. Then I looked in the rear-view mirror and couldn't see the trailer. I panicked and shot a glance in the other side mirror, and there was the trailer, at a 90-degree angle to the truck, gently keeping pace.

Now THAT's slick ice!! I managed to accellerate gently enough to nudge the trailer back into line, just in time to look forward again and see a big lumber truck coming at us on our side of the road.

After all the heart-stopping work of saving the trailer, we ended up in the ditch anyway.

And, of course, the upper bunk let go, and dumped all those plants and all that dirt onto our clothes we had laid on the bed. :xx

-----------------------------------

Another time, in Nebraska, we had taken our converted school bus camper to a state park for the weekend. We found a nice, quiet spot in a nearly-empty campground and set up.

A little after dark, several carloads of teenage boys roared into the campgound and stopped in the site next to ours. There was a flurry of activity, and 4 tents blossomed from the ground - along with at least 3 radios which competed to make their favorite station(s) heard.
A huge bonfire was soon alight, and the alcohol began to flow.
A little later, several carloads of teenage girls arrived, and the noise and mayhem doubled.

Our fire wood disappeared into their bonfire, then scouting parties began scouring the woods for more fuel. One genius began squirting the fire with a big can of gasoline, and everyone laughed when the fireballs exploded into the air.

When the nearby fire fuel was consumed, some of the more agile males began climbing trees and breaking off branches, which were passed down to the ground and into the fire.

Finally, I figured the danger of being so close to the action outweighed the morbid fascination, so I fired up our bus and prepared to move a ways off.

The engine starting caused a great cheer to go up from the kids, which turned to screams as I dropped the bus into gear and moved out. I glanced into the rear-view mirrors, and saw I was trailing ropes and nylon material...and the tents had disappeared.

Aparently tying your tent's guy ropes to the rear bumper of a bus is not a good idea. The screams were coming from the, ah, 'couples' which had been inside the tents.

Apparently the earth moved for them!
Old 08-16-2003, 05:22 PM   #38

Posted by Mary F, Moderator:

Apparently so. Thanks for the chuckle, Steve.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:14 PM   #39

Water, Water, everywhere......

Posted by Patricia Baxter, Member:

Water, water, everywhere......
Suz asked-"Did that happen even with a water pressure regulator?"

That's when we learned a LOT about pressure regulators ....like how important it is to have one and how to install them....

Now we both double check all the water connections at home before leaving.

Dale and I are both Pisces, and both in our homes and our home away from home if anything can go wrong with the plumbing, it will.....as Dale has mentioned on another thread- his latest project is repairing the toilet drain...again....
Old 08-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #40

Slight Oversight

Posted by jgreene.rn, Member:

Slight Oversight
I can teach you how to make your trailer plug only half as long, drag it on the pavement for a hundred miles..Of course, I can also show you how to replace it. The worst part was the next 50 miles listening to my wife bend my ear.....
Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #41

Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to jaye580
2nd biggest mishap

I posted my first biggest mishap on another thread I think, so here is my second, only it wasn't really mine.... I kept an index card above the drivers side visor of a check list of things to do before leaving the campsite and I was DILIGENT no matter how many times I camped at checking that card. Well... one time I took a friend and he read over the card but didn't apparently understand my layman's terms such as "hitch the trailer to the car" and he just sat the hitch on top of the ball, hooked up the chains, did everything else, we drove about two feet and CRASH. Good thing anger and humiliation were enough to lift the front end of a Scamp out of the dirt and actually attach it to the car - we didn't speak for about 200 miles.
http://www.facebook.com/jayeded
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #42

Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to jaye580
my first blunder

I found the thread about my first blunder under something posted about backing up so I am pasting it here as it was quite an "event"

When I got my first trailer, a Casita in the earlier 90's I was bad bad bad at backing up and avoided it at all costs. It wasn't from lack of trying or lack of learning but lack of ability... On my first long trip across country with my mom and her Yorkie who never quit barking, we got a late start and I was grumpy... after a few hundred miles we decided to stay in a motel in Palestine Texas instead of going to a campground. I thought the driveway was circular, it was not. For the life of me I could not back the trailer out. There were cars parked on both sides of me, I could barely go forward and ended up with it jack knifed, in the pouring rain, in the middle of the night with a frantic mother and a barking dog.

After ,many attempts we ended up having to call a tow truck and the driver laughed at us and got in the car and backed the thing out easy peasy. Charged us $45 bucks and sent us on our way. My temper was flaring to the point where I just decided to drive on through the night and onto the next.

Moral of the story.... always have a wheel on your jack... if that Casita had had one I would have unhitched it, spun it around by hand and rehitched it to the car. I have insisted on one ever since. I am still not good at backing but I check to make sure I am never going into a dead end and I practice backing up all of the time. Some people get it, some don't.

http://www.facebook.com/jayeded
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote