Dumbest Trailering Thing I've Ever Done - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-31-2002, 07:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dumbest Trailering Thing I've Ever Done

Posted by Charles Watts, Member:

Ok, truth or dare time.

What's the dumbest thing you've ever done while trailering?

Come on, now, be honest!

We've all done some dumb things ... time to fess up.

Now, you'd think that my backing my brand new trailer (my third little fiberglass wonder) into a tree would be the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Well, you'd be wrong.

I think the dumbest thing I ever did was long, long ago, shortly after we purchased our first trailer. I think it was our second campout.

After carefully backing into the site, and jockeying back and forth to get it just right ... I set about the business of unhooking the trailer from the tow vehicle.

The campground host, circling the campground in his pickup truck, stopped in front of my campsite and yelled "Hey, do you have any firewood?"

Yes, thank you, I said. We have some ... I replied as I continued to crank up the trailer in an attempt to disengage it from the tow ball. I was overwhelmed that the nice man was offering me some firewood and wasn't quite sure how to respond.

"Well, you'd better quit jacking your trailer and put some pieces under your tires or your trailer is going to roll right down that hill," he yelled!

I stopped was I was doing, turned around and surveyed the hilly campsite we had chosen. The trailer was pointed straight downhill, ending in a ravine with a steep drop-off.

Since we were complete trailering rookies, no one had ever told me I needed to chock the tires to keep the trailer from rolling. I was a disaster waiting to happen ... and it almost did!

The vision of my trailer rolling down that hill and off into the ravine haunts me to this day.

I was a couple of cranks from totalling my trailer ... which to this day stands as the dumbest thing I've ever done while trailering.

Ok, so I've told you mine ... now let me hear yours.

No one is exempt from this thread. Everyone has to post (or we'll all think you've got something to hide!)

Time to confess ....

What have you left behind?

What did you forget to do?

What did you break (or almost break).

Your turn:

Old 10-31-2002, 07:45 PM   #2

The trailer before my Casita

Posted by Michael Sanders, Webguy:

The trailer before my Casita

Everyone needs an RV to learn on, right?

On the trailer before my Casita I was trying to look like I was cool. I was parked on a slight slope where the back of the trailer was pretty high off the ground and the tongue was pretty close to the ground.

Well, I cranked up the front to hitch up. I had a long way to crank. I backed up like a pro (boy I had my backing down cold). I hitched up and pulled forward to relieve the pressure on the chaulks. DAMN, I forgot to lower the back legs and bent them over so bad I couldn't get them up. I had to bend them all the up to get home where I could cut them off with a torch and replace them.

Guess what I check carefully now.

Old 10-31-2002, 08:27 PM   #3

unhitching

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator:

unhitching

Trying to be helpfull, when hubby backup to unhitch I jumped out and started 'helping'. yeah! right!! did the wheel chock thing and cranked her up and jumped back in to move-er off the ball....where was the chains you say? still connected. Hubby caught me before I pulled too far away, but it was close. Now when I unhook, I take off the hitch stinger and walk between them draging my feet then move the car. The first time I disconnected my 'new' one on my own, I waited an hour and kept walking back and forth every chance I got, trying not to look conspicuous.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:54 PM   #4

First Time Towing

Posted by Benita, Member:

First Time Towing

My ex and I went camping one time - a first time for both of us. One week later, a deluxe model, shower and toilet, pop-up appeared in the driveway.

Neither one of us had any experience towing anything. There was this little wheel on the crank end of the trailer. I thought it should be raised for traveling. My ex said it should ride on the ground. So we drove off for a test tow with the little wheel on the ground, squealing and not exactly tracking the tow vehicle. The squealing got louder and louder as the smoldering rubber burned off the wheel and bare metal made sparks on the road as we drove. I really can't tell you which was worst, the stench of the burning rubber or the ear splitting screech of metal against concrete.

As the sparks got more and more lively, my ex dropped speed to about 6 mph. People were running into the streets slack jawed, drawn by the horrendous racket and smell we were raising. The little wheel absolutely refused to track the tow vehicle. It was spinning like top, squealing, screeching and sparking with every revolution.

I wanted to stop at the first house we saw on the way that had a travel trailer in the yard and ask about the correctness of our hook-up. I pleaded that all travel trailer people were really nice folks and those absolute strangers would tell us the truth ( after they stopped laughing). Of course my suggestion was the equivalent to us actually asking for directions .

Well, when the rubber was all gone and we were back in the driveway, I was ok'd to call a camping co-worker for towing coaching.

The next task was to set up the brand new camper. THREE AND ONE HALF HOURS LATER, my ex was ready to light the furnace for the first time. Once again, we had a difference of opinion. This time regarding the lighting procedure. I asserted myself and said that since I was overruled on the little wheel I was not going to be overruled regarding open flame and gas.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:51 PM   #5

Dumbest Thing and Fess Up ?

Posted by Rick, Moderator:

Dumbest Thing and Fess Up?

It happened yesterday and involved winterizing in the driveway. I'll give you a hint... I have a GREY and a BLACK tank, and each has a release valve.................good thing I still have my reflexes!
Old 11-01-2002, 06:11 AM   #6

Dumbest for me

Posted by Ginny D., Member

Dumbest for me

Was when I was winterizing my first trailer for the first time. No one told me, and I'm sure it wasn't in the owners manual, that I should release the pressure in the water heater before removing the anode rod. Boy, that puppy is hard to remove but when I got it out just far enough, it shot out, hit me in the chest and I got really wet, really fast. And it was cold outside. Luckily, no witnesses.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:58 AM   #7

Posted by Bill H, Member

My embarrasing trailering moment was with a Stock Car and trailer, back when I was doing the go fast, turn left, dirt oval thing. Race car was ready to go racing; growling, rumbling and spewing fire perfectly as we prepared to "run it up the ramps" (normally done somewhat aggressively) onto the trailer. Just as the front tires cleared the ramps and the full front end weight was on the trailer, the front end of the trailer suddenly launched upward, narrowly missing putting my crew chief (wife) into orbit. Seems someone forgot they had replaced the tow trucks normal 2 5/8" ball with a 2" ball for hauling a utility trailer a couple of days before.
Kinda messed up the tailgate of the tow truck as well as costing a 4 day cruise to sooth and calm the crew chief's "issues".
Bill H
Old 11-02-2002, 02:45 PM   #8

Chocks!

Posted by pippa 26, Member:

Chocks!

Charles, How could you be so silly to forget the Chocks??
I would never do that!! . My mistake was not nearly so serious . All I did was to put the chocks in front of the wheels so that we could'nt roll back into the Mighty Fraser River
Old 11-03-2002, 09:21 AM   #9

Dumbest (so far!)

Posted by Mary F, Moderator:

Dumbest (so far!)

Worst thing we'll admit to (so far) is backing the Casita with the pick-up's tailgate lowered. Ahh the visibility was so much better, as Skip could see the trailer's wheel; was going to be able to park that baby right where the campsite was most level, just barely avoiding the little ditch to the left.

Yep, you may have guessed already: Our tow vehicle has a nasty crimp in the tailgate, just a bit off center to the driver's side.

It was the Big Blue Gas Hawg's first ding... followed by others, which had nothing to do with trailing, so I don't have to 'fess about them, right?

Old 11-03-2002, 02:03 PM   #10

Doh!

Posted by Kim, Member:

Doh!

We are new to towing so haven't even BEGUN to make stupid mistakes yet but plan to have quite an extensive list before our first year of ownership is up.

The dumbest thing I've done so far is not being able to find the license plate mount on the trailer! The only thing that makes me feel better is that my (much smarter) husband didn't see it either.

Old 11-04-2002, 06:45 AM   #11

Only 9

Posted by Charles Watts, Member:

Only 9

Only 9 of us have ever done dumb things ....

I don't believe it!

Come on.

The rest of you ...

Time to confess.

You'll feel better with all of us laughing at you!
Old 11-04-2002, 03:56 PM   #12

trailering things

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator:

trailering things

Now I'm going to try and splain this to you Charles. out of the 200+ people who come here, only 9, count them, nine people camp with their trailers. the other only have them to look at and dream in like a club house. Or at least it sounds like it to me. IMHO
Old 11-04-2002, 04:59 PM   #13

You may be right

Posted by Mary F, Moderator:
[b]
You may be right

Quote:
Originally posted by Jana Journeycake
[...] only 9, count them, nine people camp with their trailers. the other only have them to look at and dream in like a club house. [...]

Or maybe they're just shy?

Although, I don't know why they would be... Couldn't be any worse than Charles admitting he didn't know he needed to set wheel chocks his first time out.

Or perhaps they're like us - Skip and I got some of our stupids out of the way by dealing with boat trailers. (Anybody ever forget to set their tow vehicle's brake before loading/unloading a boat? We only forgot it once!)
Old 11-04-2002, 05:12 PM   #14

mistake?

Posted by Nick, Member:

mistake?

Mary; What about the old "leave the drain plug out trick".