DVD's TV's Etc. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2005, 12:24 AM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
This device is a TV Tuner, just like in your tv, but it plays on your computer screen instead of on your tv tube or panel. The boxy bit of it is the tuner that collect the signal and then process it to be shown on your computer with the help of some software.

I would actually like to have one of these, but I don't always carry my laptop with me on outings, so I have a small LCD TV and a standard 110v DVD player run on an invertor. The TV is 12v.

I also despite my ramblings about roughing it, can now take my sattelite box with me as I just got a portable dish.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #16
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I got where I didn't take anything because my old 9 inch TV/VCR was so big, heavy and cumbersome. Besides, it was rare I even put it out, let alone turned it on. I finally decided to get a portable DVD player so I could play old movies on it in case I have to hibernate due to bad weather. I did read in the directions that one could use a TV tuner with it. It doesn't have a USB port like some do, but it does work with a tuner. You think it'd be the same thing as the one for the laptop?

Old 11-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
The sounds of running brooks, wind in trees, hoot owls, falling leaves, bird song, waves on rocks, rain on the roof, apples thudding to the earth, coyote howls, crackling campfires, sizzling grills, whistling teakettles, songs and stories are among the many great pleasures of camping. So are quiet - real, deep quiet - a snoring dog and the sound of a turning page. I wouldn't want any electrical interference...
Old 11-20-2005, 11:54 AM   #18
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Normally, I agree. That's why I got where I never took the other one. However, when it's 100* outside and the A/C must run in order for me to sleep without suffocating ... well, it never hurts to have another option rather than listening to the A/C churn. I go when I can. If it's summer, then Usually, I just read, but when it's storming outside, hot, and the A/C is on it'll be kinda nice to watch an old movie or listen to a CD. Helps calm the dog, too, when it's lightning.

... if the conditions exist that you talk about, then mine never would come out. That's why I like having the small DVD player. It'll tuck away anywhere.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #19

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
For "camping", out in the woods desert or whatever natural scene you choose, then TV is not high on my priority list. Most of the time is spent enjoying the surroundings and folks I might be with.

However, easily, 50% of the time I use my rig as a mobile hotel room or temporary home for things like long work days when my commute would interfere with the schedule.

At such times, there is nothing of a natural nature to enjoy at a KOA or rest area, and after a long day of driving, the last thing I want to do is try to get my eyes to focus on a book. I want to eat an easy meal, sit, relax and have my brain melted by a movie or tv show.

Also, there are those times, as Suz mentioned, where the weather just won't allow outdoor activities. A 13 footer loses it's fascination and Wow factor after a few hours of staring at walls.

Everything we have has it's place, and all situations dictate how we use them prudently. Or IF we use them at all
Old 11-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #20

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Here is what I have for the trailer. I already had the TV/VCR. I spent $50 for the ceiling mount to mount the TV/VCR to the underside of the "upper bunk/overhead storage area". I could not justify the expense of a whole new system.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by christineb@Nov 16 2005, 09:18 PM
I'm wondering about a getting a portable DVD player for the Scamp. We actually have a little TV/video player, but by the time we get it on the counter, nothing else fits, so we have to take it in and out of the car..........a bit cumbersome. Then.......I thought about a laptop with DVD/wifi..........hmmm. Then I can keep up with e-mail and this forum!! Perfect. Except..........price......yikes! I guess the laptop won't pick up TV though.
Anyone had any experience with any of these toys?

Christine
I recently replaced my Laptop computer with one that has a DVD player. So I now have several options. Including nothing at all. The TV/VCR is too heavy to ride permenently on the mount, so I only install it if I plan to use it. Otherwise, it rides in a plastic bin. If I am boondocking without power, I just put my Teddy Bear(s) on that shelf.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
Hello Christine, All
We decided to build this little corner shelf to hold a 13in. Sharp Aquos LCD flatscreen TV and a JVC-DVD, CD and radio combination. The TV is available online for $250-$300 and the JVC all in one was $170 from ebay. The cabinet is made from thin plywood covering an aluminum frame and held on with rivets. Its up out of the way and does not take away to much room from the interior of our little 13ft Scamp. I also installed a Winegard power booster antenna, but we mostly just play DVD movies. We are very weight conscious when it comes to our trailer and anything we put in it, we try and keep as light as possible. The whole cabinet with speakers, TV, Radio, wiring etc weighs less than 20lbs. I included a few photos of the installation.
Attached Thumbnails
tv_speakers_installation.jpg  
Old 11-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #23

closeup of TV cabinet
Attached Thumbnails
tv_closeup_install.jpg  
Old 11-22-2005, 02:31 AM   #24

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
This little TV/DVD player is at the top of my wish list.

8'' TFT LCD TV w/DVD Player
Old 11-22-2005, 06:13 AM   #25

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by evan@Nov 20 2005, 01:40 PM
Hello Christine, All

We decided to build this little corner shelf to hold a 13in. Sharp Aquos LCD flatscreen TV and a JVC-DVD, CD and radio combination.
Evan, what a great setup! How did you attach the cabinet to the walls? I can see the brackets, but I can't tell what fasteners you used.

Roger
Old 11-22-2005, 11:13 PM   #26

Hello Roger. The frame is made from 1.25in. aluminum angle which I attached through the walls of the trailer with 1/16 in. screws/nuts. The screws are hidden behind the unit, you reach them from below on the inside. All the aluminum trim on the front is just for looks. The thing has some complex angles to fit flush into the corner. I also have foam inserts around the TV to dampen road vibration and shock.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:19 AM   #27

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
We started out lugging a 9" TV/VCR combination in and out of the trailer. It was too small for reading the subtitles of some of our movies, took too much power, and didn't like to run smoothly on 12 volts.

Replaced with a 15" Sharp LCD, Blaupunkt DVD player. In the picture is also our old Sony receiver /cassette deck. In the cabinet above is a 10-disc changer, and below and out of sight is a 4-channel power amp and a subwoofer. I'm still working out the hookup because there is a slight but noticeable hum coming through. Not acceptable, but I think I have it diagnosed.
Attached Thumbnails
TV_install_3.jpg  
Old 11-23-2005, 09:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
I'm still waffling about what to get. Does anyone use WiFi on the road? Is it worth getting, does it work well? A friend has offered me a deal on a laptop, but it's more than I want and less than I need if you know what I mean! Decisions, decisions!
cb