DVD's TV's Etc. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2005, 11:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
I'm wondering about a getting a portable DVD player for the Scamp. We actually have a little TV/video player, but by the time we get it on the counter, nothing else fits, so we have to take it in and out of the car..........a bit cumbersome. Then.......I thought about a laptop with DVD/wifi..........hmmm. Then I can keep up with e-mail and this forum!! Perfect. Except..........price......yikes! I guess the laptop won't pick up TV though.
Anyone had any experience with any of these toys?

Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:23 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a TV/Video 12volt/110volt.I bought a laptop a while back with wifi and dvd.I now intend to use the Laptop.I also beleive you can purchase a adaptor so you can also pick up tv stations.I am still looking into that application.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:36 AM   #3

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Quote:
Originally posted by Chester Taje@Nov 17 2005, 06:23 AM
I now intend to use the Laptop.I also beleive you can purchase a adaptor so you can also pick up tv stations.
I've got this usb device.
It works
Attached Images

Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:48 AM   #4

Thanks Lex.Much appreciated
Old 11-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm sure everyone knows about the problems Sony Music is going through right now with the security issue when running Sony music CD's on laptops, computers, etc. I heard a news report this morning that this is becoming a worse case scenerio....there's a possibility you could absolutely fry your machine.

See Sony BMG Click on the link "Information on XCP Content Protection" at the bottom of the screen for a sanitized press release.

This is gonna cost Sony $$$$$$$
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
I have the same thing as Lex. Of course his is probably PAL format rather than NTSC.

I haven't used mine yet. My firstborn has one and they love it.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I use the Leadtek box with my laptop... similar function.

WinFast TV USB II Deluxe

BTW, investigating the Sony link, there are only 52 CD titles that have the proprietary software in question. It appears (somebody correct me if I've misinterpreted this) that the software links to Sony and sends data back to them.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
multimedia.2.jpg  
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #8

Do these adapters work from ant and or cable hook ups.Will they also work from sat dish receiver?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #9

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Ches, they're basically just a TV tuner. I get in trouble every time I say something without checking it first... but I thinkYou can feed the output through a satellite reciever. Hmm... maybe not... the antenna input is standard, but control input and signal output is through USB... I haven't used mine in a while... now I dunno... I'll check it for sure and get back to you...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #10

Thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 02:36 PM   #11

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Quote:
Originally posted by Chester Taje@Nov 17 2005, 08:56 PM
Do these adapters work from ant and or cable hook ups.Will they also work from sat dish receiver?
Never tried it.
But, my satellite tuner is to be connected to a tv-set by means of a scart cable.
There is no scart-in in the adapter, so satellite-input seems to be impossible.
The tv-set that is ment to be connected to my satellite tuner, does not have a scart-input too. That is why I use an intermediate device i.c. a videorecorder with a scart-input between the tv-set and the satellite tuner. A little complicated, but it works
Probably the WinTV device may be connected to the satelite tuner in the same way (I never tried it).
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #12

Thanks Lex--Good information.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:24 PM   #13

Has anyone tried this.
http://www.inklineglobal.com/adsales/googl...est.html?mcp=CA
Old 11-19-2005, 11:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Quote:
Originally posted by Lex Meuldijk+Nov 17 2005, 11:36 AM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-Chester Taje
Quote:
@Nov 17 2005, 06:23 AM
[b] I now intend to use the Laptop.I also beleive you can purchase a adaptor so you can also pick up tv stations.
I've got this usb device.
It works
I feel kinda stupid here,but can't figure out how this thing works.
I see it plugs into the computer, I do know what a USB port is, but...........then where does it go?
christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:24 AM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
This device is a TV Tuner, just like in your tv, but it plays on your computer screen instead of on your tv tube or panel. The boxy bit of it is the tuner that collect the signal and then process it to be shown on your computer with the help of some software.

I would actually like to have one of these, but I don't always carry my laptop with me on outings, so I have a small LCD TV and a standard 110v DVD player run on an invertor. The TV is 12v.

I also despite my ramblings about roughing it, can now take my sattelite box with me as I just got a portable dish.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #16
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I got where I didn't take anything because my old 9 inch TV/VCR was so big, heavy and cumbersome. Besides, it was rare I even put it out, let alone turned it on. I finally decided to get a portable DVD player so I could play old movies on it in case I have to hibernate due to bad weather. I did read in the directions that one could use a TV tuner with it. It doesn't have a USB port like some do, but it does work with a tuner. You think it'd be the same thing as the one for the laptop?
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
The sounds of running brooks, wind in trees, hoot owls, falling leaves, bird song, waves on rocks, rain on the roof, apples thudding to the earth, coyote howls, crackling campfires, sizzling grills, whistling teakettles, songs and stories are among the many great pleasures of camping. So are quiet - real, deep quiet - a snoring dog and the sound of a turning page. I wouldn't want any electrical interference...
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:54 AM   #18
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Normally, I agree. That's why I got where I never took the other one. However, when it's 100* outside and the A/C must run in order for me to sleep without suffocating ... well, it never hurts to have another option rather than listening to the A/C churn. I go when I can. If it's summer, then Usually, I just read, but when it's storming outside, hot, and the A/C is on it'll be kinda nice to watch an old movie or listen to a CD. Helps calm the dog, too, when it's lightning.

... if the conditions exist that you talk about, then mine never would come out. That's why I like having the small DVD player. It'll tuck away anywhere.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #19

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
For "camping", out in the woods desert or whatever natural scene you choose, then TV is not high on my priority list. Most of the time is spent enjoying the surroundings and folks I might be with.

However, easily, 50% of the time I use my rig as a mobile hotel room or temporary home for things like long work days when my commute would interfere with the schedule.

At such times, there is nothing of a natural nature to enjoy at a KOA or rest area, and after a long day of driving, the last thing I want to do is try to get my eyes to focus on a book. I want to eat an easy meal, sit, relax and have my brain melted by a movie or tv show.

Also, there are those times, as Suz mentioned, where the weather just won't allow outdoor activities. A 13 footer loses it's fascination and Wow factor after a few hours of staring at walls.

Everything we have has it's place, and all situations dictate how we use them prudently. Or IF we use them at all
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #20

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Here is what I have for the trailer. I already had the TV/VCR. I spent $50 for the ceiling mount to mount the TV/VCR to the underside of the "upper bunk/overhead storage area". I could not justify the expense of a whole new system.
Attached Images