E Bikes now allowed on NP bike trails.
Eddie
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/policy/upload/PM_19-01.pdf

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I'm been looking into the e-bike thing and thinking about purchasing one, not that I can't and don't walk when I should, but just as a way of site seeing and enjoy a nice ride, ok it's a toy. If I can't ride on bike trails then I can see why as many e-bikes are just a little to powerful to put together with the walkers and could cause some serious injuries. I was at a Texas State Park two weeks ago and asked the question if they were allowed on the trails and no Ranger could answer the question, either the TSP authorities have not made a decision on this yet, or they just didn't know. I feel there will be more regulations set for these bikes in future, both in camping grounds, city parks, and in the cities, there all over and riders ride them everywhere. I personally feel I don't need to ride where walkers and hikers are always in my way, just something else to worry about when riding and makes them feel uncomfortable.

trainman

trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
E Bikes now allowed on NP bike trails.
Eddie
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/policy/upload/PM_19-01.pdf
They are still going to be restricted at some locations. There are a lots of sensitive areas that can't tolerate even an Ebike going over them. You have to check before you arrive or read the posted information at the entrance.

The Teton National park won't allow them on the paved bike paths as a lot of pedestrians also use that path, so they are not permitted because of the safety for other users issues.

The new policy does state that allowing them or not is up to the manager of each individual park, monument or other type of area.

This new update on the policy should not be taken as a statement saying you can use an Ebike in all National Parks.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #4

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Here in BC, police have been issuing tickets to ebike users for no license and no insurance if they see that you are not actively pedalling the bike. According to the motor vehicle act, if you're not pedalling, it's a motor vehicle. And, you can't currently buy insurance for an ebike.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
pedalling, it's a motor vehicle. And, you can't currently buy insurance for an ebike.
Maybe you can't get Ebike insurance in Canada but it is available in the USA from some of the specialty insurance providers. If you doubt what I am saying just do a websearch on it. If you are purchasing an Ebike from a local company they will also know where to go for obtaining liability insurance coverage while riding your Ebike.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #6

British Columbia
I don't doubt what you say about insurance for ebikes in US.
Not looking for an argument. Just reporting.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:58 AM   #7

Washington
Here is a list that is recommending what they say are the top 7 specialized E-Bike insurance companies in Canada.
https://easyebiking.com/top-7-specia...ies-in-canada/

The E-Bike business has made significant gains in the market for alternative transportation. So the insurance companies have responded to that demand with policies to cover them. What might have been true just 2 years ago is now very much different.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #8

British Columbia
In BC vehicles are licensed and insured by ICBC ( Insurance Corp of BC ). And, ICBC does not currently license ebikes, which means ICBC will not insure ebikes.
You can buy supplementary insurance from other companies, but the basic insurance required to license is not available.
Here is the story:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tion-1.5278601
Old 09-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Here in BC, police have been issuing tickets to ebike users for no license and no insurance if they see that you are not actively pedalling the bike. According to the motor vehicle act, if you're not pedalling, it's a motor vehicle. And, you can't currently buy insurance for an ebike.
A classic Catch-22!
Old 09-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #10

Washington
Yes a cop stopped a guy and issued him a ticket and the cop was in the wong. These things happen, that is why many people end up going to court to fight tickets.

However if you go to the ICBC website it is clearly stated that no insurance is required on the Ebikes. I have copied the relavent section below as well as providing a link to the relavent page that goes into details with graphics as well as text as to what a MAC is. You call it an E-bike, ICBC calls it an MAC, motor assisted cycle. It can't be a gas motor as you will find out if you peruse the website, they have a different name for those.

https://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registr...ric-bikes.aspx
Rules of the road

To operate a motor-assisted cycle (MAC), you must be 16 or older and wear a bicycle helmet.

You don't need a drivers licence or need to register, licence and/or insure your MAC, but you are subject to the same rights and duties as the driver of a motor vehicle. You also must follow bicycle safety rules.

But I would suggest if you want to go and ride your Ebike around in BC that you carry a copy of this relevant document on your cell phone so you can whip it out if a cop tries to ticket you for not having insurance on it.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #11

Texas
Like everything else it will most likely come a time that these electric power bikes, scooters, skate boards, etc. will require some type of license, be what ever it maybe, maybe just a training course by the seller, State, etc. So, does this mean that all electric power types of transportation need to be banded from trails, bike paths, walk ways, etc. So now where does the electric powered wheelchair fall into this group, as you know e-bikes are a form of wheelchair for some people who have problems walking, I wouldn't want to take that right away from them and say NO, you can't use the trail. Being a motorcycle rider for over 50 years I can see where they are going to be a problem, especially riding on city sidewalks and areas where walking people are in the majority. I see more rules being enforced, but what they will be will probably be on a case by case ruling, which should really complicate things. I still plan to purchase one, I will have to check ahead and see what the rules are before I go there, so I know what to expect on what I can and can't do.

trainman
Old 09-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #12

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
In New Hampshire, any Bicycle(motorized or not) is considered a motor vehicle as far as traffic rules go. That means you can get a DUI(Driving Under the Influence) and be charged with vehicular homicide if you hit and kill anyone. There is also supposed to be no riding on the sidewalks. Are these rules enforced? Only in the most egregious situation. I check both ways at 1 way streets specifically for bicycles going the wrong way.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #13

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21 'on order'
Tennessee
catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
A classic Catch-22!
Yup..gvt bureaucrats being at least 3 years behind any trend. What I always ask is this..who the heck gives these lobrow fools the power to issue gvt fatwas anyways?

Helmet laws, for instance. Common sense wd dictate to the individual rider that helmets are a good thing, but to DEMAND that an occasional recreational rider at a campground MUST wear a head heater is tyrannical. Let the individual decide. IMHO, same for e-bikes. BTW, here in central 10aC cyclists are THE worst offenders for breaking traffic rules, bar none.
I rode motorcycles and dirt bikes for years b4 finally admitting it was time to quit. I believe most bikers are better 'drivers' than most operators of cars..but that doesn't stop bikers from becoming grease spots.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #14

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
They are still going to be restricted at some locations. There are a lots of sensitive areas that can't tolerate even an Ebike going over them. You have to check before you arrive or read the posted information at the entrance.
Lots of backcountry mountain bike trials have outlawed them as well as there is too much conflict on the single lane trails.

As long as e-bikes are used for most general sight seeing touring, and do not cause conflict with other trail users they should be allowed.

I have no desire for one, as I much prefer pedalling a regular bike, even for many hours, and like the physical benefits I reap from it. Maybe when older and if I don't (or can't) keep up my physical health though....... To each their own though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #15

Texas
I still find the e-bikes to be in the minority in the camping grounds, we camped over the Labor Day weekend and in this Texas State Park we were in with some 200 camping sites (all full) I did not see any at all. Yes they are allowed here in this park. Most videos are of riders riding them in the local parks with paved bike paths, or on the city streets. The touristy part of town is also a popular place, I think this is where the restrictions will probably be enforced the most as they have the most people and more law enforcement is needed. In most cases law enforcement has more to do then chase down e-bike riders minding there own business and not bothering others.

trainman