Earth Quake - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I am watching CNN and I see reports of Earth Quake in North Mexico and California , both North and South. Are any of the members here feeling it?
Old 04-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
No reports in of any damage yet Ches...centered about 150 miles SE of Tijuana. Frederick may have felt a minor rumble...
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Frederick may have felt a minor rumble...
Minor Rumble?
This was the largest and Longest Duration earthquake I have experienced [b]ever!
The house felt just like the last Frigate I was stationed on sailing in high waves.

Initially reported as a 6.9 it was later upgraded to a 7.2 There have been 4 aftershocks above 4.9 and almost 20 shocks in total in the last hour-and-a-half.

There has been no damage in San Diego, but they stopped the rides at Disneyland.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Outfitter Michiganni Truck Camper and 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
...This was the largest and Longest Duration earthquake I have experienced [b]ever!...
I'll have to agree...largest and longest (I've lived in San Diego County since 1965). I'm east of the City limits by maybe 10 miles. I'm not used to feeling all these aftershocks...and since my B.S. was in geology, I keep wondering if the big one for this cycle has yet to come. It'll be a memorable Easter for my now 9-yr-old daughter.

A curious thing: Our cat was behaving oddly yesterday. If you could catch up with him, he'd purr; but he was acting funny: staring at people and then running away. I got on the floor and pet him and asked if there was an earthquake coming. I wish I'd have thought to write down those times when his behavior was off so I could compare it with the usgs.gov records.

Also, we're packing to take our maiden voyage with an egg. Our plans were to go East to the desert just where some of these aftershocks are centered...some of which are registering a depth of 0.0 km. In the early 1970's DH took a ride with a friend to go see if they could find a break in the earth out in this same desert (he was a geology major too). He found one when he drove his Rambler into it. He had to walk for miles to find a tow truck to pull it out. Since our tug is my sedan for this trip, by next Wednesday when we leave, we won't likely be on roads others haven't traveled. I'll have to admit, though, it would be fun to see a fresh crack in the earth.
Leata & Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Having been in the south this past winter, I now have a new understanding of where this earth quake took place. Before it was just news on TV, now its reallity as I was in those areas.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Its odd, I didn't feel it in Quartzsite, but video from Phoenix shows lots of stuff on walls and shelves moving.

A 7.2 is quite sizable, not just your average tremor.

My animals always act weird.. no clue from them.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We just flew home from San Diego yesterday. I am glad we were gone. The one in Illinois a few months ago was enough for me.
We never had one that I felt in the 4 years we lived in Cape Girardeau, Mo, near the New Madrid fault.

CindyL
Old 04-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Just finished call to son in LA. He didn't even know that one had occured.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
I am watching CNN and I see reports of Earth Quake in North Mexico and California , both North and South. Are any of the members here feeling it?

Interestingly, I was on this forum, composing a response to the thread I started regarding fresh water sources. I did think about Fred, since he was closer to the epicenter. But my mother in San Diego was OK, so I figured everyone on the forum was unharmed.

I am a native Californian. Having spent most of my life experiencing earthquakes I was not particularly bothered. Glad to know no one was hurt. All is well.

JMP