Eclipse Camp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #15

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Yeah you can kind of decide whether to care or not, but for me, getting into the path of totality was worth it. Of course I didn't have to go far. But having seen the whole thing, the difference between 95% (what my home town would experience) and 100% (just a couple hours down the road) was huge. The difference between a kind of weird lighting at 95%, and almost completely dark, like dusk or dawn except looking like the sun was rising or setting on every horizon, and some stars at 100%.

But would I have traveled 10 hours or flown somewhere...I don't know. With more free time and money than I currently have, yes. At this point, for my 2.5 hour drive, well worth it.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Your picture looks identical to one we actually took in a special way, except rotated slightly. Did you get that picture from Facebook or take it yourself?

Here's our picture:
I took it myself. Here's a couple more.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000727.jpg   2017-08-21_143734.jpg  

2017-08-21_134554.jpg  

Old 08-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
I posted some of my pictures here:Total solar eclipse 8/21/2017

And I also want to add my voice to those who were awed and humbled by this experience. We flew to Denver on a house hunting trip (successful) and I was able to make a detour to see it.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I made eclipse camp reservations in February for Santee State Park (SC) in the path of the umbra. With all the hype in the days before the event I was getting worried that it would be a madhouse on the roads, especially since the park is right next to I-95. I arrived on Sunday, the day before, and found that the traffic and crowds were not a problem at all.

Twenty-four hours prior I was looking for the best spot to view the eclipse without venturing too far from my old dog who would be in the camper. I wanted her in the air conditioning since the heat index was over 100 degrees F. The sky was heavily overcast at 2:40 pm on Sunday so I was expecting an obstructed view of the eclipse the next day, but 24 hours later, the sky was clear for the entire eclipse.

My video (under four minutes) is not particularly impressive but it does show what it was like to be there. I did not risk photography of the partial phases so the only view of the sun is during the totality. It was not as dark as it appears in the video of the small crowd. It was dark but more like deep twilight, and easy to see people around you. The view of the lake at 3:30 in the video is more representative of the amount of light during totality.

Listen for the crickets.. they start to chirp but then seem to realize that it was not time yet and they stop, well before the totality ended. I cannot fathom what effect a total solar eclipse would have had on primitive man.

Video link: https://vimeo.com/230922742

Yes, I am starting to think about and make plans for 2024.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #19
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I made eclipse camp reservations in February for Santee State Park (SC) in the path of the umbra. With all the hype in the days before the event I was getting worried that it would be a madhouse on the roads, especially since the park is right next to I-95. I arrived on Sunday, the day before, and found that the traffic and crowds were not a problem at all.

Twenty-four hours prior I was looking for the best spot to view the eclipse without venturing too far from my old dog who would be in the camper. I wanted her in the air conditioning since the heat index was over 100 degrees F. The sky was heavily overcast at 2:40 pm on Sunday so I was expecting an obstructed view of the eclipse the next day, but 24 hours later, the sky was clear for the entire eclipse.

My video (under four minutes) is not particularly impressive but it does show what it was like to be there. I did not risk photography of the partial phases so the only view of the sun is during the totality. It was not as dark as it appears in the video of the small crowd. It was dark but more like deep twilight, and easy to see people around you. The view of the lake at 3:30 in the video is more representative of the amount of light during totality.

Listen for the crickets.. they start to chirp but then seem to realize that it was not time yet and they stop, well before the totality ended. I cannot fathom what effect a total solar eclipse would have had on primitive man.

Video link: https://vimeo.com/230922742

Yes, I am starting to think about and make plans for 2024.
Good video. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #20

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
We are among the believers now as well, and are already planning our next eclipse viewing trip. It was as awesome as others described here.

Traffic predictions were dire, but we drove from Seattle to a private camping spot near John Day, OR on Saturday with less traffic than we see on Sunday mornings on I-5 in Seattle. The private ranch had spots for about 8 rigs and 3-4 tents. Set on hill with views for miles and miles. We were thrilled to see a beautiful new Oliver pull in, and later enjoyed a full tour from owners Robert & Bonnie. Maybe the day will come when we upgrade from our little Burro...just can't afford an Oliver yet.

Eclipse as said was stunning, words can't capture the experience of totality. You must be in totality to understand....even 99% partial doesn't do it.

We stayed until Tuesday, packed up, did some sightseeing of old gold mining ghost towns and zipped back to Seattle with essentially zero traffic.

Absolutely worth it!