Egg History- Boler descendants - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #141

Name: Omar
Trailer: 68 Boler #038
British Columbia
Just wondering, what's the oldest Boler known on this site.. I just bought #038 in really nice shape considering the age, and living it's life in Canada, ( I could take it camping tomorrow).. I see howibole did a great restoration of #40.. Just curious..Thanks
omie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #142

Trailer: Boler 1984
If yours is a flat topped Boler please give us some pictures. There aren't many out there.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #143

British Columbia
Yes it's a very nice stock flat top, and I have all the documentation to the origional sale to the original owner in May 1969, even though it was made in 1968.. I did some sanding and some wire brushing on the frame, and can confirm a #038 on the passenger side tongue.. I didn't really need to see it but that does confirm it to me
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5035.jpg   DSCN5034.jpg  

DSCN5044.jpg   DSCN5037.jpg  

Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #144

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm, #38 flat top boler. That sounds familar. We lost a buch of stuff in the archives during the hack of years ago.

But still, could this boler be a "turn"? If so and you now own it... make memories!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #145

Nice find.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #146

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by omie99 View Post
Yes it's a very nice stock flat top, and I have all the documentation to the origional sale to the original owner in May 1969, even though it was made in 1968..
I'm a little confused over your insistence on this being a 1968 model. Many model years are fabricated and released before the calendar year. Do you have anything to back up your sources?

BTW I saw a 1972 boler this past weekend. Fabricated in Winnipeg, serial # 075, manufacture date 6 72. The red plate was also the CSA certification. No camera to take a picture of the plate. But it is in Toronto and I put the part owner onto this site. Hope to see it again. I'm thinking this serial # has to do with the models made in the new plant and not related to previous years. It would be interesting to hear from others of that era.

On an offside. I met up with Iowa Dave at the 2015 Niagara meet last month. He provided me with some history he picked up on the Love Bug. I'm hoping the approach of winter will allow me the luxury of time to get back into being an active member of this site once again.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:26 PM   #147

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I'm a little confused over your insistence on this being a 1968 model. Many model years are fabricated and released before the calendar year. Do you have anything to back up your sources?

BTW I saw a 1972 boler this past weekend. Fabricated in Winnipeg, serial # 075, manufacture date 6 72. The red plate was also the CSA certification. No camera to take a picture of the plate. But it is in Toronto and I put the part owner onto this site. Hope to see it again. I'm thinking this serial # has to do with the models made in the new plant and not related to previous years. It would be interesting to hear from others of that era.

On an offside. I met up with Iowa Dave at the 2015 Niagara meet last month. He provided me with some history he picked up on the Love Bug. I'm hoping the approach of winter will allow me the luxury of time to get back into being an active member of this site once again.
Well, Dave, put your history here as we would like to hear about the Love Bug. I was in the town where it was made, believe that is Tripoli, but that is about all I know.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:23 AM   #148
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
BTW I saw a 1972 boler this past weekend. Fabricated in Winnipeg, serial # 075, manufacture date 6 72. The red plate was also the CSA certification.
Not doubting the serial number but I cannot see this being the 75th Boler…maybe the 75th from a new franchise, an excerpt from the Boler history
About 150 units were produced in the second year -1969, and another 400-500 in 1970. In 1971, franchises were sold to companies in Peace River, Alberta (Glass-Fab Industries Ltd.) and in Earlton, Ontario (Earlton Manufacturing; which later moved to Midhurst under the name Advanced Fiberglass, where the last Boler was produced in 1988).”

For lots of information please read the excellent article on the history of the Boler by Tom McMahon
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Not doubting the serial number but I cannot see this being the 75th Boler…
<text deleted>

For lots of information please read the excellent article on the history of the Boler by Tom McMahon
I did not say it was the 75th boler Ian. I was thinking it might be the 75th in the new plant but I wanted to research and confirm the details before posting. I put the details here, so I would know where to find them later.

Tom McMahon's history is laced with errors, so I would not use that as the gospel truth. His general context is correct, yet there are errors. Much like you and many others capitalizing "boler"; think iPad, not Ipad.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #150

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
It's my understaanding that the "Scout, Voyager and Deluxe" designations were "trim" levels. Something like the "LX, ES or SS" designations car makers use. All the Scout, Voyager and Deluxe Bolers are still badged Bolers.

Whereas the "Honey" was not badged as a Boler.
Like Mercury?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #151
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I did not say it was the 75th boler Ian. I was thinking it might be the 75th in the new plant but I wanted to research and confirm the details before posting. I put the details here, so I would know where to find them later.

Tom McMahon's history is laced with errors, so I would not use that as the gospel truth. His general context is correct, yet there are errors. Much like you and many others capitalizing "boler"; think iPad, not Ipad.
Hey Roy, I didn't say that you said it was the 75th boler. I said "I cannot see it as being ..."
I would also like to understand where you are seeing errors with Tom's history other than capitalization. Together the collective knowledge should result in the most accurate information rather than criticism.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Hey Roy, I didn't say that you said it was the 75th boler. I said "I cannot see it as being ..."
I would also like to understand where you are seeing errors with Tom's history other than capitalization. Together the collective knowledge should result in the most accurate information rather than criticism.
I posted the serial # and date as they may help provide clues to actual production. When combined with other serial #'s of the era from that plant we can extrapolate better information then compare it to what is published or posted elsewhere. Dave Tilston has been doing a great job deciphering the serial numbers on Trilliums.

From the link you provided I read:
Boler trailers live on today, under different names and companies. Their direct descendants still operating are: Scamp (Backus Minnesota), Trillium (Sterling RV in Winfield, Alabama, relocated in 2014 from Calgary Alberta and originally manufactured in Markham, Ontario)

Where, other than on this one site is there any reference to the Trillium being a "direct descendant" to the boler. Show me the connections my friend. That is like saying the Escape is a direct descendant to the boler.

Tom is also quoted as saying:
Eco and Love Bug both started in 1972 and made Boler Americans. When Boler American failed, they decided to use the molds and came up with new names.
Close but not quite. Century Manufacturing and Tri-Fab started making boler Americans in 1972 (As well as Evelands). Those companies then used the molds (or modified molds) to produce the ECO, Love Bug and Scamp.

Having self proclaimed boler guru's promigulating this type of misinformation on the internet does not change history or the facts. Most of what is written in the link you provide was stolen from this thread with credits never given. This thread is a compilation of facts that many members have discovered and shared over the years with sources and credit given. Every now and then the mistruths and truths have to be separated.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #153

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Not to nit pik (Who Me???) Bt I thought that one of the lines was: >>> boler molds >>>Lil Bigfoot>>> new boler (?)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #154

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
I am not holding myself out to the definitive Boler historian. Please send me your corrections or take what I have done and improve it. Thanks, Tom McMahon
rova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #155

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Yes I took from every source I could find and tried to knit the disparate pieces into a single text that was more comprehensive and chronological than could be found in any one place. Roy is certainly correct about the mistake re Trillium, which I believe I corrected in a later version. I am away for the next month but may be able to make Roy's corrections when I get home.
rova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #156

British Columbia
Quote:

Not sure what you want me to prove to you Roy.. My registration papers say 1968, and I have the origional bill of sale from May 6th 1969 on Boler # 38. sold by Bucar trailer sales for $1650 brand new (quite a bit of money I would say for the time)
Old 10-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by omie99 View Post
Not sure what you want me to prove to you Roy.. My registration papers say 1968, and I have the origional bill of sale from May 6th 1969 on Boler # 38. sold by Bucar trailer sales for $1650 brand new (quite a bit of money I would say for the time)
Hi Omar,
It is not a matter of proving anything to me. It is a matter of separating fact from fiction by investigating the details. For example, here is a thread where a person with a flat top boler # 40 whose registration said 1972:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-48847.html

Back in the day, the VIN or Serial #'s for these small low cost trailers was of little significance. Some areas may have registered the trailer by date of manufacture, some by date of sale. Dave Tilston can attest to that in his Trillium serial number thread. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-56121.html

It was only when the 13 digit #'s came about was there more care of these details. It appears that in 1978 they started incorporating the model year in the VIN http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-is-30852.html

I know my registration is wrong. It is wrong because a previous DMV added their own local codes to the serial # to signify the type of trailer that was registered. When I registered it in my location, they would not accept the deviation between what was stamped on the trailer and what was typed into the previous registration.

At the time, all I cared about was getting the trailer legally into my name. Stamping the code in front of the serial # was and is an option. Personally I'd prefer to get the paperwork corrected.

Hopefully, I've shown that registrations can have errors. What I'm wondering is does your original bill of sale list a model year? The more pieces of the puzzle we can fit together, the better our understanding of the past.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by rova View Post
Yes I took from every source I could find and tried to knit the disparate pieces into a single text that was more comprehensive and chronological than could be found in any one place. Roy is certainly correct about the mistake re Trillium, which I believe I corrected in a later version. I am away for the next month but may be able to make Roy's corrections when I get home.
I hear you Tom. I spent a few hours today that I cannot afford looking up some of the information. The problem with stuff on the internet is that some of the sources disappear. For example one of the early articles on the boler was originally posted on Geocities which was shut down in 2009 and now comes up as Yahoo. I'm not sure if it still exists on one of the archive sites, but I'll try to track it down.

The problems of missing information also applies to this site. Over the years, various revamps have resulted in broken or missing links. Keeping track of the details is an arduous process.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:54 AM   #159

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1444909541.895670.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	89859
The label on our trailer lists xx xx xx as the year, month and day that the trailer was built. The registration number reflects the same six digits, plus one as the serial number. I guess that whoever made the label did it the next day and had a wonderful imagination. Just shows that all manufacturing locations didn't keep things in a numerical order.

Jim

Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #160

British Columbia
Quote:
Hi Omar,
It is not a matter of proving anything to me. It is a matter of separating fact from fiction by investigating the details. For example, here is a thread where a person with a flat top boler # 40 whose registration said 1972:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-48847.html

Back in the day, the VIN or Serial #'s for these small low cost trailers was of little significance. Some areas may have registered the trailer by date of manufacture, some by date of sale. Dave Tilston can attest to that in his Trillium serial number thread. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-56121.html

It was only when the 13 digit #'s came about was there more care of these details. It appears that in 1978 they started incorporating the model year in the VIN http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-is-30852.html

I know my registration is wrong. It is wrong because a previous DMV added their own local codes to the serial # to signify the type of trailer that was registered. When I registered it in my location, they would not accept the deviation between what was stamped on the trailer and what was typed into the previous registration.

At the time, all I cared about was getting the trailer legally into my name. Stamping the code in front of the serial # was and is an option. Personally I'd prefer to get the paperwork corrected.

Hopefully, I've shown that registrations can have errors. What I'm wondering is does your original bill of sale list a model year? The more pieces of the puzzle we can fit together, the better our understanding of the past.
My original bill of sale does call it a 69, but my registration papers call it a 68, the sales person might have just written 69 since it was brand new, and being sold in 1969.. all I can really go with is my serial number I found pounded into my frame (038)

Tags
boler, eggcamper