I recently sold my pop-up to get a Casita
. There are many reasons I sold it and opted for the upright. Here are just a few-
1. pop-ups are more time consuming to put up once you get to camp
2. You have to pack 4 times for each trip. 1st to go, then unpack when you arrive, pack when you are ready to leave camp and unpack at home. An upright will be easily accessable and can hold many things through out the season.
3. Easier to travel with an upright- If I want to leave home on a Friday after work I don't have to put the a pop-up together in the dark.
4. Security- I travel with two dogs and I want to know that I won't have any uninvited visitors in the middle of the night.
5. return on investment- fiberglass campers do not depreciate as quickly as pop-ups
6. No cables to break- I once went to crank my pop-up and the cable broke. I was forced to go to town purchase a tent (which I always carried after that) because the cable broke while I was raising it.
7. Better in wind- I camp in Oklahoma quite a bit, and it seems every time I go they have gale force winds
well tents and pop-ups aren't the best in those conditions. There is nothing more difficult to sleep in when the canvas is getting blown around.
Good luck with your decision! This is just my experience and I know a pop-up will suit many peoples needs, it just didn't fit my lifestyle