Egg Shapes, one more roomy than another? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #15

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Thanks Penney for your input. Sometimes it is more about perception than actual space. With a 14 yr old, a 7 y/o and a 6ft 280lb Hubby and myself at 5 ft and "average" weight it will probably come down to what feels the largest and most open whether or not it actually is like you said. We would really prefer a larger model but dont want to stress our van or myself as I'm the one driving. Any idea why the Toyota Dealer advised against the airbags to level the load? I've read where lots of folks use them so I'm curious why it could be an issue. We too really want a bath model esp here in FL when the State Park bath houses are unairconditioned and it's 95 degrees outside with 95% humidity and it feels like you're stepping into a steam room. As soon as you get out of the shower and attempt to get dressed (with e'thing sticking to you) you feel like you need another shower. Or when we're "Walmart Camping" on the way to WY each summer we'd like a bathroom in the night. The more input we get the more we're leaning towards the 16' with a bath model. I told Hubby today that if we got the bigger trailer and we felt it was too much we could always sell it for probably close if not all of what we paid for it and get a smaller one. At least we tried and would know for sure. What hitch did you go with? I havent got my van tow ready yet. Down here in Fl there are not that many Eggs to see and be able to step in to. So far I've only been in a 17 ft Casita and an Egg Camper. We like the Egg Camper but they only sleep 3 since they dont offer a bunk model. It did seem nice and open and bright for sure. I'm planning on attending Scamp Camp down here in Feb so hopefully I'll see more makes/sizes in person then.

Keep the info coming, please!

Thanks so much for your "2 cents".

Old 08-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
It won't be long and the 14 year old will be looking to have a tent next to the trailer... trust me it happens quicker than you think. Have you considered building a bunk in the EggCamper? I've seen pictures where folks have built a bunk over the side couch model Casita so the trailer would sleep four. It doesn't have to be a permanent mod, and if done with forthought (think cot on tall legs), you'd be able to dismantle it for storing or when traveling... without the kids.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #17

Florida
I wondered if a bunk could be installed in the Egg Camper. I've seen them modified in the Casitas that way. Any idea why it's not an option in the Egg Camper brand? Has anybody put one in an Egg Camper? As far as the tent idea goes it's just too darn hot here in FL in the summer for sleeping in a tent. We even were going to get a futon matress and fold the seats down in the minivan so she'd have the security of hard sided walls but keep running into the same problem of no way to cool it. Down here you have to have A/C 9 months out of the year at least. A fan just wont do it.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It won't be long and the 14 year old will be looking to have a tent next to the trailer... trust me it happens quicker than you think. Have you considered building a bunk in the EggCamper? I've seen pictures where folks have built a bunk over the side couch model Casita so the trailer would sleep four. It doesn't have to be a permanent mod, and if done with forthought (think cot on tall legs), you'd be able to dismantle it for storing or when traveling... without the kids.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #18

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Do you mean a second bunk?

It looks like it would be a challenge in either floorplan with the overhead cabinet and angled cabinet cantilevered over the space to add a second bunk with much over four feet of footroom, unless you extend the bunk almost to the edge of the existing bed, or angle it somehow. Maybe they could build it as a special without the angled cabinet or modify it to remove it? Then you wouldn't have to bring the bunk out all the way to the edge of the existing bed.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #19

Florida
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, good point Matt. See, I knew there was a good reason, LOL. I may be able to special order one with 2 bunks but I'm not looking to spend that much for a brand new one. Plus, if there isnt a demand for such a floorplan resale might be difficult once the kids are gone and we dont need the bunks any longer and want to switch out. I sure like that big bed in the Eggcamper though, lol.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
When it comes to "open feeling," headroom can make a big difference. Did you happen to feel like the Eggcamper seemed more open? I've been in them and they seemed more roomy to me. It has about the highest ceiling of any FG trailer, I think.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #21

Florida
Oh yes, Michael. The Eggcamper seemed HUGE! We really liked it and couldnt understand why they dont offer a bunk bed option to sleep 4 since it has sooooooo much room. I also wondered why they only did a 2 seater side dinette. I mean if the camper sleeps 3 shouldnt there be room somewhere for 3 to eat? The Eggcamper is so roomy we could put somebody on a Futon matress on the floor but we figure that would get old quick especially with them being stepped over/on/around for nighttime potti visits.

Tags
eggcamper