EggCamper Frig Size? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #15

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Cathy, Go for it! We absolutely love our EggCamper (but then, most everyone grows to love whatever the particular brand they make memories in!). It's the perfect size and layout for just the two of us. If I were to order one new, the only factory modification I would ask for is a MaxxAir MaxxFan 7000 series roof fan (dual-direction, multi-speed, remote control) that can run without letting rain in. Our 2010 came with the old factory standard fan (small diameter, low air volume, one-speed, one-direction, better close the hatch when it rains or you get wet fan). We keep talking about upgrading, but it hasn't been a big enough issue to us yet to warrant the time and money to do it. But it would be worth having them install it at the factory - if they will. Regardless, get something and get camping! Dale

Old 05-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #16

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Update: I got an email from Jim at EggCamper this morning and it verifies that the frig is a 2.7 cu ft. I have decided I can deal with that. Am trying to decide whether to take that big step and order! Such a big decision too but have been looking at it online since it was introduced since I follow the RV market closely.
Hi Cathy,
Larger bed size (easily converted from Full to an almost Queen size), interior height & width, decent shower & toilet, reasonably low weight, ability to leave bed in place and still have a 2 person dinette, were all good reasons for us to buy the Eggcamper. The "white" fiberglass interior makes it look a bit stark, but that did not bother us, and curtains, cushions and personal decorating touches can really make it look nice on the inside. It just doesn't have the inside "wood" look that some other fgrv's have. I worried about no propane, but all-electric has worked for us just fine so far. The fridge size is not an issue for us. We haven't used it in very hot weather so I can't say about the A/C, but I've got to think that I'd want the best roof fan available if I were ordering a new one. You'll probably burn just a little more gas than towing a comparable Scamp or Casita because even though the Eggcamper is fairly aerodynamic, it cuts about a 10-20% larger hole through the wind. But the roomier interior is really worth it. Hope to see you on the camping trail!
GL Mark

Old 05-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #17

Western Massachusetts
I'd go with Dale's recommendation on the fan. Ours has the original, and it's one speed and not real quiet.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #18

Western Massachusetts
Eggcamper bimini awning?

Cathy,
One of the first things my wife wanted was an awning. Well, ours came without one. We really haven't found a need for one yet, but I think we will want one eventually. I looked into installing one, but haven't done it yet. Might be worth getting the awning from the factory if you like to have one.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #19

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Thanks Mark & Dale for your input. It seems that overall, EggCamper owners are pretty pleased with the unit. I am not a "carpet" enthusiast so the smooth interior is a real plus. It is still a tough decision. I know that the stick won't hold up, the EggCamper is really twice the price but I would expect twice+ the useful life and an easy sell, sort of more of an investment than the stick although small units of any type are easy to sell where we are. We have people asking if we want to sell the pop-up, same when we had the TT, and I'm thinking "Do you see a For Sale sign". Oh, gosh, the EggCamper in the yard would bring a whole new shopping crowd. : ( Thanks again.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #20

Western Massachusetts
Cathy, I think that if you bought Eggcamper brand new and later decided to sell, you'd come out with a much, much larger percentage of your original investment than if you bought a stick built trailer. And if you end up keeping the Egg for, say, 10 or 15 years, the Egg would have good value left whereas the stick built would have little value left.
GL Mark
Old 05-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #21

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Cathy, Regarding the EggCamper's air conditioner, we live in Alabama and have camped along the gulf coast during Summer and been very comfortable. Since cold air sinks, a roof-mounted A/C unit is generally considered more effective than a floor-mounted unit like in the EggCamper, but in really hot weather, we just plug in a little fan to help move some of that cooler floor air up and around within the cabin. Works great; not a problem at all. As with any camping in hot weather, a shady camp site (if available) helps take some of the heat load off the camper and work load off its A/C unit. Even an awning can help by shading a portion of the camper. You'll find photos on this forum where various egg owners shade a portion of their camper with a tarp or part of a tent while camping to accomplish much the same. I hope that helps.... Dale
Old 05-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #22

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Another Happy Eggcamper Owner

We love ours! We were lucky to find a gently used one (paid almost the price of a new one but didn't have to travel to Michigan). We replaced the original fan with a MaxxFan which is much better....definitely ask for that, and you will be especially happy when it rains😉. Because we live in Florida and do a lot of beach camping in the summer ☀️☀️we changed the 5,000 btu AC for an 8,000 which would have been easier if originally done in the factory because we had to modify a few things. If you check my posts, you will see that we have made a few other mods, like closet shelves to suit our needs, an exterior waterproof electrical outlet, installed a Caframo fan and so on.....although it was really perfect the day we bought it! We have a "canopy".... Not an awning. It is easy to put up and take down, and gives us needed shade. We have a great cooler (keeps things frozen 4 days) to supplement the refrigerator. Plenty for us.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #23

Florida
Registry
Couple of pics
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #24

Florida
Registry
Beautiful!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2011 Eggcamper #106
Old 05-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #25

Name: Garland
Trailer: EggCamper
Alabama
The original fan in an Eggcamper can easily be replaced with a Vortex brand fan that has 3 speeds forward and 2 speeds in reverse. I replaced my Eggcamper fans(2) with these and they work great, Very easy to in install with no cutting or altering the hole size in the roof. Can be found on Ebay for less than $80. Took about 30 minutes to take old fan out and install new one.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #26

Western Massachusetts
Fan Noise?

Hi Garland and all,

Comments on the fan quietness on both the Vortex and Maxx Fans and any others? The original fan is a bit noisy, so I'm looking for a super quiet fan when I replace the original.

Thank-You
Mark
Old 05-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #27

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Thanks everyone for your comments. In the final analysis, the frig wasn't the deal breaker but the air conditioner. While I agree it would be a great unit for a couple, we have an adult son with Down syndrome that is with us and looks like will be with us until death do us part and he would have to sleep over the a/c which I am just not comfortable with. I emailed EggCamper and told them this. It is unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be any other choice.

So, am looking now for a used Scamp or Casita. Three adults is tough in smaller trailers, even the stick. We are really limited in being able to travel because my husband's employer cancels all holidays, I cannot believe they will not observe Memorial Day and will try to talk him out of taking his vacation. So, maybe we don't need another camper anyway. They manufacturer snack cakes and it isn't like someone will die if they don't get their Twinkies fix!

So, back to the drawing board. Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #28

Name: Garland
Trailer: EggCamper
Alabama
Vortex fan does is not as loud as the original fan in the Eggcamper and moves a lot of air in both directions-forward or reverse. The noise is more of a swishing sound and does not bother us. Not sure how it compares noise wise to any others.

Tags
eggcamper