Eggcamper in South Florida? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
John Salomon's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 21
Quote:
wow John, looks like you may have hit the gold mine with Orlen! What better way to learn about them from someone with first hand, hands on experience with them!

Orlen, posting pictures here would be pretty cool. I know if I were to ever buy New, an Eggcamper would be one of the first on my list due to it's similarities with Burros.
Hi Gina,
I agree, we hope Orlen will share some pictures of his EggCamper. This would be very cool!
__________________

__________________
John Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Posts: 155
My wife and I Had never been in a fiberblass travel trailer before, so we decided to drive up to Grandville to check it out (to see if we'd get claustrophobic inside). Met with Jim Palmer and took a tour. We were quite comfortable sitting in it and talking with Jim. The bright gloss interior makes it feel very roomy. I was amazed that the bed area was as wide as but longer than a double bed. I plan on using the bathroom so I checked it out for space, again I was quite surprsed that the shower was large enough to stand up strait and turn around in. The toilet is kind of tight to the inside wall but has a lot of room to the front of the trailer. No lav in the bathroom (fine by me because I believe it would be too small to be usefull anyway). We thought it had plenty of storage spaces (for its size). We liked the fact that it actually had counter space (because no gas stove). It feels more roomy also because the refrigerator isn't up high (like a wall oven). I liked the fact that most items are not RV specific (I think it will make repairs/replacement easier and CHEAPER). I have worked with nat. and LP gas for many years and feel much more comfortable not having gas IN the unit so we ordered an all electric. We will be picking up our unit in about a week.

Art
__________________

__________________
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
We want to be as practical as possible.
I think where people get all knotted up is when comparing molded fiberglass to stick built when viewing the inside. Stick built are typical straight sided, molded is often "egg shaped" so the inside is and certainly appears smaller. You just need to remember with a molded fiberglass trailer, you're not dragging your home around on wheels. And need to think about the reasons for buying and what you plan on doing when you go out camping. They're certainly not for everyone. But 6 inches of width isn't going to make that much difference if the entire trailer makes you feel claustrophobic. I prefer to think of my trailer as being a "nest."

I'd certainly think the more trailers you can view personally the better chance of making an informed decision.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Posts: 155
The all electric eggcamper weighs in at 2,050 lb. ready to go with no liquids. Jim said one of the reasons he puts the A/C unit under the dinette seat is to keep the weight low in the unit (I think it should tow well). Loaded with all our goodies I'm guessing it will weigh in around 2400-2500 lbs. (very light). It has 2 powered roof vents. Also because of its width it comes standard with running lights. Because the A/C is not on the roof, ceiling height is 6'7" but it is not quite as tall overall as a Casita (ceiling height 6'2"?).

Art
__________________
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
John Salomon's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 21
Quote:
I think where people get all knotted up is when comparing molded fiberglass to stick built when viewing the inside. Stick built are typical straight sided, molded is often "egg shaped" so the inside is and certainly appears smaller. You just need to remember with a molded fiberglass trailer, you're not dragging your home around on wheels. And need to think about the reasons for buying and what you plan on doing when you go out camping. They're certainly not for everyone. But 6 inches of width isn't going to make that much difference if the entire trailer makes you feel claustrophobic. I prefer to think of my trailer as being a "nest."

I'd certainly think the more trailers you can view personally the better chance of making an informed decision.
Donna,
I like the idea of not dragging a huge contraption, it seems unnecessary anyway considering that we are looking for something that's easy and ready to go for weekend getaways.
__________________
John Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
John Salomon's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 21
Quote:
My wife and I Had never been in a fiberblass travel trailer before, so we decided to drive up to Grandville to check it out (to see if we'd get claustrophobic inside). Met with Jim Palmer and took a tour. We were quite comfortable sitting in it and talking with Jim. The bright gloss interior makes it feel very roomy. I was amazed that the bed area was as wide as but longer than a double bed. I plan on using the bathroom so I checked it out for space, again I was quite surprsed that the shower was large enough to stand up strait and turn around in. The toilet is kind of tight to the inside wall but has a lot of room to the front of the trailer. No lav in the bathroom (fine by me because I believe it would be too small to be usefull anyway). We thought it had plenty of storage spaces (for its size). We liked the fact that it actually had counter space (because no gas stove). It feels more roomy also because the refrigerator isn't up high (like a wall oven). I liked the fact that most items are not RV specific (I think it will make repairs/replacement easier and CHEAPER). I have worked with nat. and LP gas for many years and feel much more comfortable not having gas IN the unit so we ordered an all electric. We will be picking up our unit in about a week.

Art
Hi Art,
Congratulations on your purchase! Your description makes a lot of sense as my wife totally understands the feeling of claustraphobia. The white gel coat is practical and functional. I figure that with the white gel coat interior, increased interior height and width it may be the most spacious. I'm inclined towards an all electric unit also. Jim mentions in his website that one can always mount a small generator for the occassional boondock. Please post pictures of your Egg if you can. Do you know if there is any alternative to the roof carpet? And also do you know how wide the center aisle is?
__________________
John Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
John Salomon's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 21
Quote:
The all electric eggcamper weighs in at 2,050 lb. ready to go with no liquids. Jim said one of the reasons he puts the A/C unit under the dinette seat is to keep the weight low in the unit (I think it should tow well). Loaded with all our goodies I'm guessing it will weigh in around 2400-2500 lbs. (very light). It has 2 powered roof vents. Also because of its width it comes standard with running lights. Because the A/C is not on the roof, ceiling height is 6'7" but it is not quite as tall overall as a Casita (ceiling height 6'2"?).
Art
Art,
Do you know if the roof vent is a Fantastic brand fan?
__________________
John Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Orlen Wolf's Avatar
 
Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Posts: 312
As promised, I went out to the garage and took a few measurements.

The outside width is 88" (from info on the EggCamper web site). It is 84" wide inside at the widest point (measured on my unit). The side dinette is 24" deep and 70" long. The floor between the dinette on the port side and the galley on the starboard side is 40" which is quite a bit wider than I remember in other campers I have owned. The floor area is 70" from the front edge of the rear bed to the front of the shower area (the same as the length of the dinette). The floor to ceiling height is 6' 7" which is quite a bit more than I have seen in other fiberglass units. The overall height of my unit is 8' 1" so I had to teach it to squat to get into the garage (through an 8' high door). Actually what I did was temporarily replace the original tires with a pair of "compact spare" tires which gave me plenty of room. Compact spares from Ford products (in this case Aerostar vans) are an exact fit.

The weight of my unit as delivered was 1504 pounds. That's with no appliances etc. Just an empty egg. I'm estimating about 2000 pounds ready to roll with a full water tank and propane tanks and a cold 6 pack in the 3-way frig.

I seem to remember a recent posting by Joe Z describing a modification he made to a Casita side dinette to widen it when used as a bed. That could be what you need to enable you to sleep 4 in an EggCamper. If I remember correctly he even used my favorite material, industrial velcro, to stick it all together.

Since it is just the wife and me I haven't considered using the side dinette as a sleeping area. I bought the A floorplan that leaves the bed permanently in place with storage under the bed. The front center area lifts up to access the storage area. If you plan on traveling with 4 people you will probably want floorplan B which gives a dinette in the back that converts to a bed. If you decide later that you want to convert to floorplan A, the fiberglass piece that fits in the back of the U-shaped dinette can be moved forward and mounted as the front part of the bed and a wood panel placed behind it to make a permanent bed.

I also noted a comment about putting the A/C under the dinette seat to lower the center of gravity. I think that is an idea that Jim gets from his hobby. He builds experimental aircraft so weight and balance are important to him.

OK. Enough rambling. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

73
Orlen
__________________
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Posts: 155
Quote:
Hi Art,
Congratulations on your purchase! Your description makes a lot of sense as my wife totally understands the feeling of claustraphobia. The white gel coat is practical and functional. I figure that with the white gel coat interior, increased interior height and width it may be the most spacious. I'm inclined towards an all electric unit also. Jim mentions in his website that one can always mount a small generator for the occassional boondock. Please post pictures of your Egg if you can. Do you know if there is any alternative to the roof carpet? And also do you know how wide the center aisle is?
John,

We haven't picked it up yet (will in about a week). And no other options for the roof "carpet" that I know of. According to Jim, it's not carpet (can't remember what he called it). The purpose is to cover the inside seam and sound deadening. I don't know how wide it is, but I do know that my wife was concerned about having enough room to get dressed and move around until we were in it, now she is quite satisified. I do know it will be quite tight for 4 people to sleep in even though it is probably the largest of the 17 footers.

__________________
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #24
Junior Member
 
John Salomon's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 21
Quote:
As promised, I went out to the garage and took a few measurements.

The outside width is 88" (from info on the EggCamper web site). It is 84" wide inside at the widest point (measured on my unit). The side dinette is 24" deep and 70" long. The floor between the dinette on the port side and the galley on the starboard side is 40" which is quite a bit wider than I remember in other campers I have owned. The floor area is 70" from the front edge of the rear bed to the front of the shower area (the same as the length of the dinette). The floor to ceiling height is 6' 7" which is quite a bit more than I have seen in other fiberglass units. The overall height of my unit is 8' 1" so I had to teach it to squat to get into the garage (through an 8' high door). Actually what I did was temporarily replace the original tires with a pair of "compact spare" tires which gave me plenty of room. Compact spares from Ford products (in this case Aerostar vans) are an exact fit.

The weight of my unit as delivered was 1504 pounds. That's with no appliances etc. Just an empty egg. I'm estimating about 2000 pounds ready to roll with a full water tank and propane tanks and a cold 6 pack in the 3-way frig.

I seem to remember a recent posting by Joe Z describing a modification he made to a Casita side dinette to widen it when used as a bed. That could be what you need to enable you to sleep 4 in an EggCamper. If I remember correctly he even used my favorite material, industrial velcro, to stick it all together.

Since it is just the wife and me I haven't considered using the side dinette as a sleeping area. I bought the A floorplan that leaves the bed permanently in place with storage under the bed. The front center area lifts up to access the storage area. If you plan on traveling with 4 people you will probably want floorplan B which gives a dinette in the back that converts to a bed. If you decide later that you want to convert to floorplan A, the fiberglass piece that fits in the back of the U-shaped dinette can be moved forward and mounted as the front part of the bed and a wood panel placed behind it to make a permanent bed.

I also noted a comment about putting the A/C under the dinette seat to lower the center of gravity. I think that is an idea that Jim gets from his hobby. He builds experimental aircraft so weight and balance are important to him.

OK. Enough rambling. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

73
Orlen
Thanks Orlen for taking the time to measure the EggCamper. The dimensions are larger than what I expected. I don't know how much more expensive it is to have the dinnette in the back versus the bed. I guess a matress may be more comfortable than cushions. Do you know if the EggCamper is based on the Burro widebody?
__________________
John Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
John, I had the initial contact with Jim Palmer when I posted the first thread and he was building his first prototype. I know where the Sac City Burro molds are and I had thought about resurrecting Burro here in Iowa for a short time. As it turned out, I didn't do it because of the time investment necessary for a startup business. Jim contacted me about the molds, and decided he could do his own and do them better. I believe (conjecture here) that he used the Burro widebody measurements and the basic idea for his molds.

I have not met Jim in person, nor have I seen an EggCamper in person, but from my conversations with him about his trailers, his desire to "do it right", and his other enterprises I'd not have any reservations about purchasing one over the phone, were I in the market again. He "fixed" all of the issues I didn't like in my Burro, and kept all of the best features. The design is sound and actually quite elegant.

That said, I currently have a Bigfoot 25' rear queen. It combines all of the amenities I wanted and remains very "tow-able". I don't know what size your wife thinks you need, but if a 17' trailer is just too claustrophobic for her (and for some folks they just are...) I can't recommend the Bigfoot 25' highly enough. I am 6'5" tall, and as I'm getting older, comfort is the #1 priority for me. I wanted something I could stand up fully in, have a full queen in and stand upright in the shower. While no trailer is perfect, the 25RQ blends the amenities of a much larger trailer (full queen size bed... mine is an 80" length), a light and airy interior with lots and lots of windows, nearly full interior space (no apparent "rounding" inside), a full "dry" bath with a 6'8" shower stall height, and all of the other amenities. Mine is a front couch with table rather than a dinette, Mike and Lori Sanders have the dinette model. There is also a front bedroom model. It's a myth that they're "heavy". They're heavier than 16' and 17' trailers obviously, but mine is fully loaded and weighs 5300 lbs as equipped with empty tanks (with a 7500 lb GVWR). That's pretty light weight for a loaded 25' trailer when you compare them with the "stick built" competition of similar quality in their size range of 25' to 29'. They ARE, on the other hand, more expensive than any other fiberglass trailer out there. They also hold their value used very well, and offer amenities that no one else offers; dual glazed thermopane windows, enclosed and heated tanks, superior wall insulation, and are cooler in the summer and can be used as a true four seasons camper.

Despite that extra insulation and enclosed body of the winter-package equipped Bigfoot, for comparison in the fiberglass world, my Scamp 16 and Scamp 19 (both loaded custom deluxe oak interiors) both had GVWRs of 3500 lbs, and weighed close to 2700 and 3000 lbs respectively as equipped. My Bigfoot 17' (winter package equipped) weighed about 2800 lbs as equipped, again with a 3500lb GVWR. The dual-thermopane windows are heavy, and yet the Bigfoot 17 was very similar, weight-wise, to my Scamp 16 CD.

So, weight ratio per linear foot of trailer remains just about constant in fiberglass trailers when fully equipped; much of the weight difference being the size of the refrigerators (the Scamp 19', Bigfoot 17', and 25' all have 6.0 cu. ft. fridges which add weight, the Scamp 16' had the smaller 4 cu ft.), the size of the propane tanks, windows (plexiglass vs. single pane glass vs. dual thermopane glass) and the interior treatments.

Good luck finding the trailer you want!

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #26
Junior Member
 
John Salomon's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 21
Hi Roger,
Based on your information and what everyone has said, I believe that Jim is making a quality product and is committed to customer satisfaction. I'm not worried as much of buying it over the phone as I am my wife liking it. That's why I'd like to see an EggCamper in person before I make the leap.
As for your recommendation of the Bigfoot, I sure wouldn't mind owning one. I was looking at their website and saw that they make a 21'. This may be a good compromise but as you noted, they are expensive. As for the weight of the trailer, I have a Ram 1500 v6. The towing capacity is around 3800 lbs. The other vehicle is a Honda Element, and I do not know its towing capacity, however, I'm sure its under 2000 lbs. I would definitely consider a Bigfoot if I could get a good deal on a used one and upgrade my tow vehicle.
__________________
John Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
John, the 21' is a very nice trailer, although nearly as heavy as the 25' and more cramped than the 17'. FWIW, I successfully tow my 25' locally with my '02 V6 Tundra with a 4800 lb tow rating and a Reese Dual Cam weight distributing/sway control hitch. I wouldn't head for the Rockies with that combination, but for casual towing to our local haunts it works fine.

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #28
Junior Member
 
John Salomon's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 21
Hi All,

Just a note to let you guys know Jim emailed me today. He said that unfortunately, he did not have a referral program or new of any EggCamper owners in South Florida. He did, however, mention that he liked the idea of a YouTube video showing the camper. He mentined he had tinkered with the idea of producing a video with the format of "How It's Made." This would be very informative.
__________________

__________________
John Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eggcamper


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eggcamper Sharon G Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 30 07-09-2009 04:14 PM
EggCamper artspe Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 39 11-19-2008 08:56 AM
Does anyone know what you get for a 12k EggCamper? Pamela H General Chat 10 09-16-2008 08:30 PM
EggCamper artspe Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 6 07-05-2008 03:22 PM
Wanted- Used EggCamper Miami, Florida John Salomon Wanted: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers 2 06-04-2008 10:57 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.