Eggcamper in South Florida? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi all,
I have been a constant unregistered visitor to this forum for over a year now and have finally made up my mind about going fiberglass. I am mainly interested in the Eggcamper but my wife is concerned about how spacious it is inside. Ideally we are looking to sleep four. We would like to possibly view one before ordering but the manufacturer is far from Fl. Any suggestions or comments would be great. Thanks
John Salomon
John Salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi John, my suggestion would be to contact the manufacturer. Casita, Scamp, Escape, etc. all have prior buyers who are willing to show their trailers. I know Casita has a pretty formal referral program... I'm betting the others have something similar.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #3

Do you know how wide the isle is inside? Will it sleep 4 comfortably?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #4

John, I'm in the dark as much as you are. Here's a pretty good topic with pictures:
EggCamper... New trailer brand coming

Anyone seen an Eggcamper?

A new Brand of FG trailer

Of course there's the EggCamper Website
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #5

Thanks Donna,
I have read these forums, boy I wish someone would post more information on these. A youtube video would be way cool!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe

Hi John,
I am about 1 hour 45 minutes from the EggCamper Facility here in MIchigan. Before you start to consider anyone of these "Brand New" Fiberglass choices there are a few questions that you need to ask you and your wife. What is your height, and your wife's height? If you are over 5'10" that a Casita is not in the cards. What are you planning on towing with it? This can narrow down some more choices. Do you have Budget? This can narrow down your selection too! Let me know. I owned 3 Trillium's last year and still own my original 2 room 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe that I have owned for 5 1/2 years now.

Dave in Michigan
"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Some Casitas have about 6'2" clearance in the aisle (the 17') but they do cost a little more than the 16 footers. Otherwise I suspect that there are any number of people owning trailers that are shorter than they are tall. It depends on how important standing room is to you.

But Dave does lay out some of the tradeoffs that make the choice a personal one. I'm sure others will weigh in as well.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
I have an EggCamper that I am currently building out. I bought it as a "kit" without appliances, cabinet doors, shower, plumbing and electrical etc. I would be glad to make any measurements you need and send pictures to you.

If you want to sleep four you will need to put a cot on the floor in the middle. The back bed area is about 54 by 84 with a slight curve to the back and the side dinette can convert to a bed about 24 by ? (I'll have to measure the length when I get home this evening).

If you want good information on the EggCamper I would highly recommend calling Jim Palmer, the guy who owns the company, at the number on the EggCamper web site. He doesn't have "salesmen". He answers the phone (and the questions) himself. He will give you straight info, not sales hype. Before I bought my EggCamper I talked to him several times and always got good accurate information.

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:

Hi John,
I am about 1 hour 45 minutes from the EggCamper Facility here in MIchigan. Before you start to consider anyone of these "Brand New" Fiberglass choices there are a few questions that you need to ask you and your wife. What is your height, and your wife's height? If you are over 5'10" that a Casita is not in the cards. What are you planning on towing with it? This can narrow down some more choices. Do you have Budget? This can narrow down your selection too! Let me know. I owned 3 Trillium's last year and still own my original 2 room 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe that I have owned for 5 1/2 years now.

Dave in Michigan
"The Trillium King"
Hi Dave,
The height is not as much a problem in physical measurement as it is in my 5'-0" wife's perception of spaciuosness. Im 5'-9". We went to an rv show in West Palm Beach and she had a tendency to dislike the console next to the doorway. We have a Dodge Ram v6 and our budget is under or around 15,000.00 maybe a little more. I did request information on Trillium, Casita, and Scamp and all are very reputable, however, we want to get the most space in a shell for the buck.

-
Old 04-08-2008, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Some Casitas have about 6'2" clearance in the aisle (the 17') but they do cost a little more than the 16 footers. Otherwise I suspect that there are any number of people owning trailers that are shorter than their trailer is tall. It depends on how important standing room is to you.

But Dave does lay out some of the tradeoffs that make the choice a personal one. I'm sure others will weigh in as well.
Hi Steve,
It is not that much the height which is a concern for us but the width inside. I believe the EggCamper is a bit wider. Does Casita make a widebody?

-
Old 04-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #11

Quote:
I have an EggCamper that I am currently building out. I bought it as a "kit" without appliances, cabinet doors, shower, plumbing and electrical etc. I would be glad to make any measurements you need and send pictures to you.

If you want to sleep four you will need to put a cot on the floor in the middle. The back bed area is about 54 by 84 with a slight curve to the back and the side dinette can convert to a bed about 24 by ? (I'll have to measure the length when I get home this evening).

If you want good information on the EggCamper I would highly recommend calling Jim Palmer, the guy who owns the company, at the number on the EggCamper web site. He doesn't have "salesmen". He answers the phone (and the questions) himself. He will give you straight info, not sales hype. Before I bought my EggCamper I talked to him several times and always got good accurate information.
Hi Orlen,
Any info you can send me on your EggCamper will be great. I am excited to see what you have done in your kit as my wife advised me not to get the kit because of my limited time and even more limited skill. Two things I would definitely change in mine (if I had one) are the seat cushions and the cabinet doors. I've emailed Jim today and asked if he could post a video on YouTube of the EggCamper. And I also took Donna's advice and asked about a referral program in Florida. Will there be enough space to walk from the bed past the cot to the bathroom?

-
Old 04-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #12

Burro is the only one that makes (made) a "widebody" or at least was marketed that way. I don't know how familiar you are with small RVs, but people who purchase a molded lightweight fiberglass RV are campers... not RVers. We spend as much time outside as possible... because that is where we want to be. The trailer is used for sleeping, preparing meals (maybe), eating inside (maybe), showering (maybe), and using the toilet (maybe). Once inside, 99.5% of your time will be spent sitting down or laying down. We have had people around 6'5" tall that have been perfectly happy owning a trailer with an inside height of 6'... because one doesn't spend time standing straight up in one spot. Typically 3-4 steps and you'll stride the entire length of the inside of the longest molded trailer. Does this help?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
wow John, looks like you may have hit the gold mine with Orlen! What better way to learn about them from someone with first hand, hands on experience with them!

Orlen, posting pictures here would be pretty cool. I know if I were to ever buy New, an Eggcamper would be one of the first on my list due to it's similarities with Burros.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Burro is the only one that makes (made) a "widebody" or at least was marketed that way. I don't know how familiar you are with small RVs, but people who purchase a molded lightweight fiberglass RV are campers... not RVers. We spend as much time outside as possible... because that is where we want to be. The trailer is used for sleeping, preparing meals (maybe), eating inside (maybe), showering (maybe), and using the toilet (maybe). Once inside, 99.5% of your time will be spent sitting down or laying down. We have had people around 6'5" tall that have been perfectly happy owning a trailer with an inside height of 6'... because one doesn't spend time standing straight up in one spot. Typically 3-4 steps and you'll stride the entire length of the inside of the longest molded trailer. Does this help?
Hi Donna,
Yes. There are many reasons why we have decided on a fiberglass rv over a traditional stick built one. The fiberglass shell is strong and lightweight, less maintenace, easy towing. The tradeoff is space. I just want to make sure I know as much as I can about the pros and cons. We are not large people, but I can understand my wife wanting it to, at least appear, as spacious as possible. Some of the more traditional (stick built) rv's we've seen seemed very dark and cramped inside, and heavy. She hates the center console next to the doorway. I know Bigfoot makes larger all fiberglass rv's but they tend to be heavy. Our preference is going to be more practical. RV price, maintenance, weight, ease in towing and finally space. We want to be as practical as possible.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #15

Quote:
wow John, looks like you may have hit the gold mine with Orlen! What better way to learn about them from someone with first hand, hands on experience with them!

Orlen, posting pictures here would be pretty cool. I know if I were to ever buy New, an Eggcamper would be one of the first on my list due to it's similarities with Burros.
Hi Gina,
I agree, we hope Orlen will share some pictures of his EggCamper. This would be very cool!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
My wife and I Had never been in a fiberblass travel trailer before, so we decided to drive up to Grandville to check it out (to see if we'd get claustrophobic inside). Met with Jim Palmer and took a tour. We were quite comfortable sitting in it and talking with Jim. The bright gloss interior makes it feel very roomy. I was amazed that the bed area was as wide as but longer than a double bed. I plan on using the bathroom so I checked it out for space, again I was quite surprsed that the shower was large enough to stand up strait and turn around in. The toilet is kind of tight to the inside wall but has a lot of room to the front of the trailer. No lav in the bathroom (fine by me because I believe it would be too small to be usefull anyway). We thought it had plenty of storage spaces (for its size). We liked the fact that it actually had counter space (because no gas stove). It feels more roomy also because the refrigerator isn't up high (like a wall oven). I liked the fact that most items are not RV specific (I think it will make repairs/replacement easier and CHEAPER). I have worked with nat. and LP gas for many years and feel much more comfortable not having gas IN the unit so we ordered an all electric. We will be picking up our unit in about a week.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #17

Quote:
We want to be as practical as possible.
I think where people get all knotted up is when comparing molded fiberglass to stick built when viewing the inside. Stick built are typical straight sided, molded is often "egg shaped" so the inside is and certainly appears smaller. You just need to remember with a molded fiberglass trailer, you're not dragging your home around on wheels. And need to think about the reasons for buying and what you plan on doing when you go out camping. They're certainly not for everyone. But 6 inches of width isn't going to make that much difference if the entire trailer makes you feel claustrophobic. I prefer to think of my trailer as being a "nest."

I'd certainly think the more trailers you can view personally the better chance of making an informed decision.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
The all electric eggcamper weighs in at 2,050 lb. ready to go with no liquids. Jim said one of the reasons he puts the A/C unit under the dinette seat is to keep the weight low in the unit (I think it should tow well). Loaded with all our goodies I'm guessing it will weigh in around 2400-2500 lbs. (very light). It has 2 powered roof vents. Also because of its width it comes standard with running lights. Because the A/C is not on the roof, ceiling height is 6'7" but it is not quite as tall overall as a Casita (ceiling height 6'2"?).

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #19

Quote:
I think where people get all knotted up is when comparing molded fiberglass to stick built when viewing the inside. Stick built are typical straight sided, molded is often "egg shaped" so the inside is and certainly appears smaller. You just need to remember with a molded fiberglass trailer, you're not dragging your home around on wheels. And need to think about the reasons for buying and what you plan on doing when you go out camping. They're certainly not for everyone. But 6 inches of width isn't going to make that much difference if the entire trailer makes you feel claustrophobic. I prefer to think of my trailer as being a "nest."

I'd certainly think the more trailers you can view personally the better chance of making an informed decision.
Donna,
I like the idea of not dragging a huge contraption, it seems unnecessary anyway considering that we are looking for something that's easy and ready to go for weekend getaways.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #20

Quote:
My wife and I Had never been in a fiberblass travel trailer before, so we decided to drive up to Grandville to check it out (to see if we'd get claustrophobic inside). Met with Jim Palmer and took a tour. We were quite comfortable sitting in it and talking with Jim. The bright gloss interior makes it feel very roomy. I was amazed that the bed area was as wide as but longer than a double bed. I plan on using the bathroom so I checked it out for space, again I was quite surprsed that the shower was large enough to stand up strait and turn around in. The toilet is kind of tight to the inside wall but has a lot of room to the front of the trailer. No lav in the bathroom (fine by me because I believe it would be too small to be usefull anyway). We thought it had plenty of storage spaces (for its size). We liked the fact that it actually had counter space (because no gas stove). It feels more roomy also because the refrigerator isn't up high (like a wall oven). I liked the fact that most items are not RV specific (I think it will make repairs/replacement easier and CHEAPER). I have worked with nat. and LP gas for many years and feel much more comfortable not having gas IN the unit so we ordered an all electric. We will be picking up our unit in about a week.

Art
Hi Art,
Congratulations on your purchase! Your description makes a lot of sense as my wife totally understands the feeling of claustraphobia. The white gel coat is practical and functional. I figure that with the white gel coat interior, increased interior height and width it may be the most spacious. I'm inclined towards an all electric unit also. Jim mentions in his website that one can always mount a small generator for the occassional boondock. Please post pictures of your Egg if you can. Do you know if there is any alternative to the roof carpet? And also do you know how wide the center aisle is?

Tags
eggcamper