EggCamper made in Michigan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
I am looking into an EggCamper. They have only made about 100 so far and since it is only 5 1/2 hours from me in Columbus, Ohio, it behooves me to visit the factory. I was serious about the Trill Outback but I can't see one to form an oppinion. If you own one or have seen one, please express your feelings about them before I make the trip up there.

Thanks, Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
I am looking into an EggCamper. They have only made about 100 so far and since it is only 5 1/2 hours from me in Columbus, Ohio, it behooves me to visit the factory. I was serious about the Trill Outback but I can't see one to form an oppinion. If you own one or have seen one, please express your feelings about them before I make the trip up there.

Thanks, Lloyd
Lloyd

I have one and am very happy with it. I've had it almost a year now. I would recommend contacting Jim, the guy who owns the company, with any questions and take the time to visit the factory. It's interesting to see a naked egg up on jackstands while all the parts are being installed.

I bought the first "kit" version, a unit with no appliances, electrical wiring, water and propane plumbing and no bathroom/shower. It was pretty much a blank canvas. You can see some pictures on my post (EggCamper Kit Buildout). I haven't added anything to the post lately but I've done a lot more on the buildout. I've been camping in it several times even though the cabinet doors are not installed and there is still some electrical work to do.

If you haven't done any RV rebuilds or repairs and aren't into construction work I would not recommend buying a kit. Get one that's completely built out. If you are into DIY then it's a great way to set things up the way you want them.

The decision of an electric egg or the more conventional electric and propane system depends on your camping style. If you only camp in campgrounds with full hookups you can easily use an electric only refrigerator and a cube heater for heat. If you like to go boondocking then a combination of 12VDC, 120VAC and propane will give you flexibility although you could still run everything in an electric egg with a Honda Eu2000 generator. The only problem there is that some folks frown on using generators in dispersed camping areas.

Any way, the short answer to your question I'm happy with my EggCamper and haven't seen any posts on this forum from folks who are unhappy with theirs. One indication of the level of satisfaction is that I've only seen one used EggCamper for sale and that was due to a family dissolution where they were selling everything.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
a few reviews are Here
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Lloyd,

My wife and I have spent a total of 18 nights in our EggCamper so far and we just love it. I've made a few modifications to better suit my needs, but can't think of anything else it needs. The EggCamper does everything we need SIMPLY. Set-up takes 1 person appx. 15 minutes and about the same to pack-up. All electric makes things very simple and easy. The refrigerator is simply great. The bed is very roomy. A/C works good in 90 degree + weather. I believe that if you are looking for a trouble free, roomy, and reasonably priced 17' egg you won't go wrong with an EggCamper.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Not trying to change your mind about brands, but Pat Harris has his 17' Escape posted for sale here. Maybe you could talk him into meeting you part way in a couple of weeks at the Niagara Falls meet. That would be about 5 hours from you and you could meet a few of the other eggheads here.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If you do go to the factory, see if you can take a lot of detailed photos -- It's surprising how handy they can be in making mods and solving problems.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:

Thanks, Lloyd
I toured the facility this June. I was favorably impressed with what I saw. The Eggcampers seem to be built solidly and should have somewhat less chance of leaks than some others, since it has no rivets and no front or rear windows. (But there's always the plumbing in a trailer, of course.) The floor is coated with resin top and bottom. The interior was attractive and seemed nice. Coffee drinkers will like the coffeemaker mounted in the galley, it's a nice touch. On the permanent bed floorplan he's got a nifty cantilevered storage area cover in the center that I really liked.

The one thing I didn't like was the dinette seats. First off they are a little too high for me (I'm 5'9"); I would have liked them about 2" lower for the sake of my leg circulation. Second the seat cushions seem really thin. On the side dinette the front seat has the A/C coming out the side so one would not want to sit with back to the wall when A/C is on, but sitting facing the table wasn't good either because the back cushion was too thin to keep my back from hitting the storage door on that surface.

Jim does have a bit of a prejudice against LP gas, I think. He really likes to build all-electric units. But he'll add provisions for gas if the customer is willing to pay for it.

Last time I looked he had a year-old preowned unit listed for sale at $12,880.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper