EggCamper... New trailer brand coming soon! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 AM   #61

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Red face

Dale has connected with Jim, and since the "factory" is so close by (about 7 miles away and less than a mile from our daughter) we are going to go see him and tour the place on Saturday!

If he will allow, we will take lots of pictures & get some of the other questions answered.
Hmm....wonder if he needs test drivers......

Gramma Pat
Patricia Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #62
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thing i don't like is the seam verticle.
Of course the ever popular Burro and U-haul have their seams vertical. I'm with you, I like the "belly band" but that's possibly just because I have a Casita and that's what I know... Any of you Burro and/or U-haul owners have an opinion on the vertical seam?
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #63

All we can say is WOW!!!!!!!!! We arrived at 9:30AM today and Jim Palmer- owner & prime force behind the Eggcamper- gave us a full tour of his "factory" starting with a brief history of the many different businesses he has started and sold as well as the ones he still runs. Jim's an eclectic entrepreneur with a wide range of experience. A lot of the ideas for this project have drawn on his experience with the marine, aircraft, and auto repair industries. Add to that the fact that Jim is 6'4" tall and designed this baby to fit himself in comfort, it is well-built and roomy inside (Inside height is 6'7").

The shop is a first-class operation built for his primary businesses, with plenty of space for molding and assembling the prototypes. There are three prototypes in various stages of completion, and it was interesting to see how the design is evolving. While Jim was more than willing to answer any & all questions about the eggs, we decided that rather than take and post pictures ourselves, we should refer folks to HIS website

http://www.eggcamper.com/

where he will be posting pictures of his 2nd, 3rd and subsequent prototypes as time allows. He is hand-building each prototype in the back of his auto business, making modifications in design as he goes, so there is not anything set up yet for mass production. Jim has designed the Eggcamper to satisfy his own needs; he'll work out floor plans and options after he's satisfied with the integrity of the design.

Someone was talking about the vertical seams leaking- ain't gonna happen! As well as the 2 halves being permanently glued / sealed together, there are 3 layers of fiberglass over the inside of the seam, and a trim strip on the outside.

The windows ALL open and provide for plenty of ventilation, especially with the full screen door that will be standard from now on, along with the ceiling fan. There is room for a rear window, but Jim has opted not to include one in the prototypes. Instead, the back wall serves as a backrest for the rear bench seat. That's right - the bench wraps around the dining table, providing plenty of storage space underneath.

The shower area is really nice, with the sink molded into a wall recess so that it is actually usable while standing up straight. The stool is also located in the shower, with plenty of room to stand up and even turn around while showering. The solid glass door is easier to clean and does a better job of keeping shower water IN the shower than a curtain, and won't warp like the wooden door we had on our Casita. For the folks who object to the opaque glass being too see-through, he said you just hang your towel over the towel bar on the door..... The second prototype has a second ceiling fan installed near the shower - a nice feature.

There has been a lot of thought put into building an easy care, light weight and durable trailer here, without building in added cost. It is designed to be pulled by one of the smaller SUV's over highways. Although it's very sturdily built, it is aimed at the rental and promotional markets, not for rugged boondocking. Jim showed us how the trailer could be used as a mobile office, i.e. for insurance adjusters working in disaster areas.

If you are interested in one of these we would suggest contacting Jim for your own tour. Next week he'll have one of the rigs at the air show in Oshkosh, WI. He is one really nice guy!

Gramma Pat & Grampa Dale

P.S. It was close to noon before we left!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #64

Some other things about the Eggcamper operation:

Frames are laid out and welded on a laser-aligned jig, so they are plumb, flat, and square.

Jim is using wiring harnesses with molded-on plugs to connect the running lights - no splices or poor connections for campers to fight with!

Jim is committed to quality: Even though only the first prototype will have a curved door, Jim molded an extra door to keep on hand if replacement is ever needed.

Dale
Old 07-19-2006, 09:43 PM   #65

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Interesting thanks for sharing. Sounds like alot of great ideas are still to come. Do you know if the floor is wood encapsulated with fiberglass? If so do, you happen to know if it's particle board or plywood? Thanks in advance.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #66

Trailer: Eggcamper
Well, this is my story. I bought a Dodge Ram Van from a fellow co-worker, who happened to be the original owner. After I had a hitch installed in it, I thought, "wouldn't it be nice to haul a light travel trailer with it". We are empty nesters so I sid,"Why not". One day I went to get a cup of coffee at a Speedway station in Grandville, MI. I parked the van, and there was a beautiful, brand new Egg Camper for sale. It was love at first sight. Little did I know that it was standing in front of the factory that builds them.
The next day, right after work, I stopped in. The owner greeted me, gave me a personal tour of the factory, introduced me to the workers, and showed me the inside of the Egg Camper. Then I brought my best friend to get his opinion. He said it was a great camper. He gave me two thumbs up. Jim sold me a brand new demo from last year, ('06) with all the extras in it for a song.
When I drove it home, my wife wasn't sure about it. But when we went camping for the first time in it, that's when she liked it.
I highly recommend this camper to anyone who appreciates the quality and ingenuity that went into making this camper. Best of all is the price. For what you get, no one comes even close. Send Jim an email, or give him a call. He is a very fair & honest man to do business with. You got my word on it!
David W. Gualtieri
David W. Gualtieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #67

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Welcome to the forum, David! I'm looking forward to your comments on the Eggcamper as you get to use it more. I think we need more competition and innovation from the producers of our eggs, and this look intriguing.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #68

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV David, we're glad you found us!

Pictures, we love to look at pictures!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #69

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I'd like more windows. I have a total of 6 in my 13 footer.

Seems pricey to me not having all the options we get.

I'd spend a little more and buy a Bigfoot.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #70

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi,

Here it is 2 years later - we're looking for a used trailer. Do you know any place that posts used Eggcampers? They look amazing!

Thanks,

David and Michele
David and Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #71

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
Quote:
Hi,

Here it is 2 years later - we're looking for a used trailer. Do you know any place that posts used Eggcampers? They look amazing!

Thanks,

David and Michele
RE: EGGCAMPER
I visit here every day, but rarely have posted a couple of times, but.. I just pulled home a new eggcamper myself the week of Thanksgiving from the factory, here to my home in East Texas. I got the kit version and picked up some of the harder to find items I wanted and to go in it, like the shower parts/restroom items. I got several items off ebay that was identical to what the ready to go trailer has, at good prices. I have only seen one of these used, and it was in Houston, and was being sold due to a splitting of households...!!
They have been in production too short of time. I have had two burros 13' and this is the nearest thing to a Large Burro I could find. It is all gelcoat inside . I am working on mine now. I can not wait to take it on the first trip. I fly radio control models and it will take the place of my small Burro, on trips I go on during my flying season. It is a nice unit. Pulled very well behind my ford 150. You would not be dissapointed with this trailer. Not having windows on the rear is not issue at all for me. It makes for a very nice atmosphere and the other windows are plenty big enough, and allows for more privacy with the enclosed, very smooth lines of the rear area also.
Weldon
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #72
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Weldon, we can't wait to see pictures and hear all about it. I'd love to know how doable the kit version is. This unit has intrigued me since I first heard about it. Does the kit come with the molded interior? Hopefully, our pathes will cross in Texas once you get it on the road.

Although others may disagree, I view the eggcamper as the next generation Burro. It seems to have just enough extra girth without making it that much bigger.

Are you going with the 12V compressor fridge or you going to install a three way (or something else?). What about the air conditioner? Being here in Texas, I know you gotta have one of those. Please, do tell!
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #73

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Hey. It's great to see who bought another EggCamper kit. Jim told me there was one sold in Texas and one in Tennessee as well as mine in Colorado.

Weldon - did you get floorplan A or B? Also, get with me on how to install the shower drain plumbing. I found a way to get it done without cutting the triangle area out of the closet wall. Everything is hidden behind the wall. Another thing I did was install a union on the top of the waste water tank so, if I ever have to drop the gray water tank for repairs, I don't have to cut any pipes.

BTW - I also bought the shower floor / black water tank assembly as well as the fresh water and gray water tanks from Jim. I figured that way I would get something that fit without a lot of looking around.

I finally finished installing the appliances. It was a real jigsaw puzzle to get the refrigerator, furnace, stove and sink into the area under the counter but I finally got it worked out. That was compounded by the fact that I wanted to install a deeper sink than the stock one.

I haven't had a chance to take any pictures yet. Will do so after it warms up and I can get the egg out in the sun. It's currently in a corner of the garage while I have all the power tools spread out in the rest of the garage bay.

One other comment - I would not recommend the kit version of the EggCamper to anyone who hasn't had some experience in construction work as well as electrical work. It would be great project for someone who has restored a camper in the past or who is really into DIY. It also is a real time sink to do all the work. But, if you have the experience, it is fun to build it your way. I'm glad Jim offered the kit version.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper