Eggcamper owners - a few questions for you!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Eggcamper owners - a few questions for you!!

My wife and are into our 2nd season in our Casita 17SD. We love it!! We do not regret buying it at all!

But - while I am 6'6" tall, we do find the bed "ok". My wife is 5'1" so I steal a little of her foot room, and we sleep well. We have also got accustomed to the large fridge, and gas water heater for boondocking.

I initially wanted an EggCamper for headroom / bed length - and still long for one. Now that I understand fgrv's better - I'm up for modifications! I want to look for a used eggcamper - if and only if I can make these mods.

So EggCamper owners - I have questions!!

1) Can I fit a larger gas/elec fridge in the EggCamper? I want one the size of my Casita fridge which I believe is 4.0 sq ft!

2) Can I swap out the water heater for a gas/electric water heater easy enough?

3) Can I install a larger a/c in the orig location?

Thank you!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Have you looked at the Parkliner?
Much larger bed and best headroom in FG.

Walt
Old 06-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The Eggcamper owners must all be out camping! Hopefully some will chime in soon. (If not, you could look up some of them on the member list and PM or email them.)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

Name: Kass
Trailer: 13' Casita
Washington
'Lucille' needs her door back on!

Howdy! I've owned my 1988 13' Casita for a year now. Most work on her is completed, but previous owner removed her door to take off the foam left over from the carpet removal. I have re-carpeted the door and replaced the door gasket (which I received from Casita factory).

My brother and I tried for hours to get it back on....door hinges are on the body, but we just can't seem to get the holes lined up with the door holes. It doesn't look like any new holes were drilled in the body and the hinges moved from their original position. Should we take the hinges off the body and put them on the door first, then try to put the door with hinges attached back onto the body?????

Sure hope someone has had experience with the "airplane door" that the older Casitas seem to have.

Needing some expert advise, Kass
bullwhackin kass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Kass
You need to start your own thread as most people will not see it here unless they are interested in the original post regarding Eggcampers.
Go to the section you want to post in and click start new thread. Otherwise maybe a moderator could move your post.
I am sure soneone can come up with suggestions to help with your Casita door so you can go camping
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #6

SW Virginia
Kass
In the meantime, 13' and 16' Casitas have always had that curved door and the new ones still do. A call to Casita might help.

Walt
Old 06-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #7

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Interior height of Parkliner is advertised as 6'4". The Eggcamper is 6'7". I can answer question #3.
We switched out the 5,000 btu for an 8,000 unit. I posted a thread about it on the forum if you want to check it out.
Best of luck in your search!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Yes you can swap out the water heater the previous owner of mine had done that, he also added a propane furnace. I'm not sure how big of a fridg you could get in the space where the firdg is but there is room for a bigger one. I am planing on adding one of these ARB 4×4 Accessories | ARB Fridge Freezers - ARB 4x4 Accessories in my truck because the extra space in my egg was used for the furnace and a silver wear drawer.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Joe, you can always rework the interior to install a larger refrigerator, but find out what the largest opening is on the EGG camper (ie: door opening or window opening) so the larger refrigerator can be brought inside for the install.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:02 AM   #10

Ohio
I feel so bad. We have decided not to buy the egg camper. I have always wanted one and still want one really really bad. But when I count the features that we will be doing without or I will have to put into the egg camper, it makes us decide to stay with our Casita. It's such a tough decision because I know the extra headroom and isle width would be huge for me. But I don't want to do without the larger water tank larger grey water tank propane water heater propane fridge large fridge furnace awning and more. We like to boondock and a generator sounds like no fun. Carrying gasoline and all. I guess for now ill stay put.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 06-15-2016, 06:28 AM   #11

SW Virginia
Like most of our egg brands the Eggcamper has some nice features, and I wasn't aware of how much head room they have. But I've always felt it just wouldn't work well for boondocking.

Walt
Old 06-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #12

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
My wife and are into our 2nd season in our Casita 17SD. We love it!! We do not regret buying it at all!

But - while I am 6'6" tall, we do find the bed "ok". My wife is 5'1" so I steal a little of her foot room, and we sleep well. We have also got accustomed to the large fridge, and gas water heater for boondocking.

I initially wanted an EggCamper for headroom / bed length - and still long for one. Now that I understand fgrv's better - I'm up for modifications! I want to look for a used eggcamper - if and only if I can make these mods.

So EggCamper owners - I have questions!!

1) Can I fit a larger gas/elec fridge in the EggCamper? I want one the size of my Casita fridge which I believe is 4.0 sq ft!

Yes, you can put a larger fridge in an EggCamper. I would recommend an Engle unit that runs on 12V only. It is very efficient and will run for several days on a battery without recharge. If you have an 90W solar system you can boondock for as long as you want.

2) Can I swap out the water heater for a gas/electric water heater easy enough?

I have a gas/electric water heater in mine. Originally I installed a gas only unit and when it started leaking (it was over 30 years old when I installed it) I replaced it with a new Suburban SW6. Of course it needed a different cutout to the exterior so had to do a bit of fiberglass work. If you are replacing the original 120v water heater you will only have to cut out one hole.

3) Can I install a larger a/c in the orig location?

Yes, a larger A/C unit can be installed in place of the stock unit but you will have to run a generator to power it if you are away from a current bush.

Thank you!!
BTW: I should mention that I bought a "hull" with no appliances and no water/gas/electrical installed and did all the buildout myself. If you like to "have it your way" that's the only way to go.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:22 AM   #13

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlen Wolf View Post
BTW: I should mention that I bought a "hull" with no appliances and no water/gas/electrical installed and did all the buildout myself. If you like to "have it your way" that's the only way to go.
Agree!! That would be a way cool project indeed!!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 06-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #14

Ohio
I changed my mind too much. After a talk with Jim from eggcamper - I'm back on board for looking for one. I was affraid of all the mods needed and it would make the cost a hefty one (initial cost + mods). But I have since decided it will work for me once again, and I can do mods along the way - if needed.

Unfortunately, I had one all ready to buy, and I was wishy washy with my decision. The seller got frustrated - which I understand! Now she is telling me that our price we agreed to is not going to work and she feels her original asking price is more inline. And she says she is going to be away for a few weeks and needs time to think about selling it to me.

I think I frustrated her by wanting it, then not, then wanting it again. I understand that. I'm bummed now she wont just say ok and sell it to me. I'm ready to be there with cash in 6 hours! I guess she is going to sell it to somebody else because I waffled in the decision.

Darn it anyway!!

Back to square one - looking for an eggcamper. At least I have time and I can use the Casita till another one comes around - but still...uuugggggg
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 06-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #15

Ohio
Well I found another eggcamper and its 2k cheaper than the first one, but its in Cali !! Uuuggg!

Thats ok tho. Sometimes the search is part of the fun! And at least we can use our Casita till we find an eggcamper, so thats cool.

Btw, ill be selling the 2005 Casita 17SD once we get an eggcamper. Its immaculate.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 06-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #16

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Have you looked at the Parkliner?
Much larger bed and best headroom in FG.

Walt
Hi Walt. I was just reading and realized I didnt answer you. I appologize! But, yes I am kinda stuck on the eggcamper now! Always wanted one and the casita was a good compromise, but this time I want to hold out! Thanks for the tip tho!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Old 06-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
What's wrong with traveling from Ohio to California for your camper/trailer? We traveled from California to Minnesota (and back) for ours and made a great adventure out of it.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #18

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Joe, I agree with Gilda....used Eggcampers are hard to find and this one is substantially less money! You will love being able to stand upright....that's what sold us on the Eggcamper. My 6'4" husband sleeps on the dinette side, using the seat for extra leg room....so we have what amounts to a king size bed LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #19

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I sold my Mi based EggCamper to people from near. Savannah, Georgia and then went to Sumas, WA to pick up my new Escape 19. Went from there to the Pacific Ocean making a 6900 mile trip in all.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #20

Ohio
Im with you guys! It is the time to get it that has me tied down. My work would not be ok, already did a 2 week vaca this year.

Im really hoping the lady who we had a deal decides to sell to me after all. Ill let u guys know in a few weeks! Not holding my breath, but hopeful.

So get this. There was another one for sale at great escapes rv in london canada 6 hours from me for 12500cdn which equated to 9700. I told the guy i would take it. He said he needed a day orvtwo to talk to his accountant to see if i had to pay gst taxes. I look on their site and its sold! I call and say i hope thats for me. He says no, somebody came in yesterday while he was gone and bought it.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal

Tags
eggcamper