EggCamper's Teardropp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 AM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Thumbs up

Would this count as a sorta egg? http://www.teardropp.com/

It fits my weight requirements better. Emailed the company and they said they have utility trailers available now (around $5000) and the camping version will be available in about 60 days. No pics of the inside available. I have asked.

It's actually tall enough that I can stand up inside. Yes, I'm that short.

Bonnie
Old 02-22-2007, 05:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Bonnie:

There is a PlayPac on ebay right now if you are interested.

CindyL
Old 02-22-2007, 05:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Bonnie,
See if you can get them to quote the actual weight with all the standard equipment installed. "Dry weight" can be misleading. Scamp claims a dry weight of 1000 lbs. for their 13' model. But, if you include the stuff that most people order (brakes, frig., etc.) the actual weight is more like 1300-1400 lbs. Best of luck.

Tom Trostel
Old 02-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I would say 'yes' to it being an egg.... maybe a sparrow egg???
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Bonnie,

I am a teardrop owner and am currently looking to buy an egg myself, but I would call that a fiberglass teardrop.

If you are interested in teardrops they do come lighter than this one, but by their nature standing up in them is rare. Also teardrops do their cooking outside standing under the rear hatch and don't have bathrooms. T@b makes one that you can cook inside and even has room for a porti-potti but they are big, heavy and expensive.

Check out this site: http://www.golittleguy.com/ it explains a lot about teardrops.

I happen to have a Hunter HU-4 Fat Shadow. http://mrglobal.com/teardrop.html

Best of luck with your search,

-Carl
Carl O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
Hi Bonnie,
We looked at a lot of teardrop web sites before we bought our Burro. I thought they were so cool looking. One reference is Yoder Toter which says it's Amish made. If you put Teardrop Trailer as favorite on Ebay, they will come up often from this manufacturer. However, they seemed pretty pricy for the room, and, as they say here, cooking was outside. The inside is basically mattress size. Kind of like tent camping with a covered bed and some lights!! I did like them because they were so retro looking - I think they were first made in the 40's, maybe earlier and they look great with those old cars or a PT Cruiser!! There are also many patterns for making them on standard trailer bases.

I think they are quite light, but we decided to go for the room and the covered cooking. Also, not sure how well they hold their resale value.

Good luck with your search. It's all fun!
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Christi's comment, "Also, not sure how well they (teardrops) hold their resale value" has merit. The teardrop industry/market is much smaller than eggs. The Little Guy teardrop company can claim to be the biggest because there really aren't many teardrop companies in existence. Most teardrops are home-built or custom made and they range in quality from mobile works of art to a little better than a doghouse on a utility trailer. Hunter, the company I bought mine from, makes around 50 a year. CampInn, another good teardrop company, makes about the same.

I really enjoy my teardrop and plan on keeping it because it is so much fun to use. It is basically a hard tent with a really, really comfortable bed. Mine happens to be the size of a queen-size bed that I've enhanced with a foam cushion top. I prefer it to my bed at home. It tows like a dream, has 15" tires, and sets up in a snap. I'm looking for an egg because my family has grown to 4 and I need the extra space. If it is just my oldest son (5 years old) and myself, it is going to be the teardrop.

Once I get my little egg, then I'll be twice as happy!

You know, it's not what you use to camp...it's the fact that you're camping that makes the difference.

Again, best of luck with your search.

-Carl
Carl O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Since this is a standup design, not the classic teardrop layout, I assume that it is a "travel trailer" and thus clearly one of our eggs.

What it is not, in my opinion, is at all useful. Despite the aerodynamic claim, I would be very surprised if it had any less drag than a classic "egg" shape, and it certainly has less room and just as much weight. It seems like it has all the disadvantages of the "teardrop" shape, and no advantages. Everyone gets to make their own choice, of course, and such variety is one of the things that makes the world interesting.

Just to be clear: I'm not criticizing teardrops. In their classic form, with outside galley and low height, I think that they are an interesting solution to the challenge of packaging convenient camping accommodation in minimum size. Some are truly works of art.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Quote:
Since this is a standup design, not the classic teardrop layout, I assume that it is a "travel trailer" and thus clearly one of our eggs.
Thank you for all the thoughts and replies.

I just got off the phone with the owner of the company. This is a teardrop geared toward the hardsided tent group. The interior of the camper is 6x10 (Scamp 13' sized? Can someone confirm?) with a standing roof height of 5'6". I didn't ask the complete tricked out weight, because they are still designing the -- get this -- modular parts for the TD. The intent is a dual use trailer that can be set up to camp and then broken down when you need to haul stuff.

The TD top is from a one piece fiberglass mold. He told me something about the bottom, but I can't remember. However it's designed to have NO leaky seams. The window and door are the same as the eggcamper and interchangeable.

Brakes are not standard, but are an option. They are expecting the TD price to be range between 5,000 and 11,000.

Most of the pieces for the interior of the egg camper are also a possible fit for this TD. In addition they are working on designing a awning/tent room for the kitchen, where you could enter the trailer from the kitchen end and do away with the doors, if you wanted

I asked specifically if the modular parts can be added after buying a base setup and he said yes. That's an interesting idea, since it brings the entry price down to a really attractive level and would allow adding only those options you find out you really, really want.

With the hitch end lowered onto a skate to move it; it stands 69" and will fit in a garage.

If anyone is near the Grandville MI area, there's an XPO show in the Metroplex where he has one of each of the designs. Boy I'd really like someone to eyeball that TD and give another impression.

Can you tell I'm excited??? Whether or not I get one of these campers, I will be in the area next summer for a dulcimer festival and I am planning on asking for a factory tour.

Bonnie

I saw the play pac and other eggs out westward of St. Louis and drooled. But if I can get an egg or egg drop closer to home it would be a great thing.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I love teardrops, I wanted to build/buy one when I bumped into my Burro.

What can I say, I bought the Burro.
I still am intrigued by teardrops and maybe when I retire may still build one.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #11

According to the specs on their website, this trailer is 2" wider than the common 6'-8" egg. Typical "13 foot" eggs have ten-foot bodies... this design is just as big as a classic 13' egg.

The base weight is just like any of the 13' eggs used to claim (Boler did early on, and was up over 1200 lb by the end).

Moving it with the tongue on a "skate" dolly is interesting, and works to lower the roof because the axle is set so far rearward and the back of the roof slopes down - the only advantage to the shape I've seen yet, and a novel idea. With 5'6" of "standing" (but not for me) headroom, I'd rather have a low-roofed conventional travel trailer shape and adjustable suspension to squeeze into the garage.

I assume that the cargo application means removing the galley components so the rear hatch can be used for cargo. That sounds inconvenient to me; if at all possible (depending on parking space) it would probably make a lot more sense to have a cargo trailer and a camping trailer, each well suited to its task.

I still think the traditional teardrop layout (not necessarily shape) makes sense for that "hardsided tent group", but for them I don't think the tall roof of this design makes much sense - too much drag for too little benefit.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
I'd rather have a low-roofed conventional travel trailer shape and adjustable suspension to squeeze into the garage.
Would you tell me where you've seen one of these? I must have missed them when I was looking?
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Looks to me like this teardrop would fit into my 7'0" garage with no fuss, unlike my 7'4" Scamp 13 (The new Scamp 13 and the Casita 13 are even taller).

I agree that it's not as aerodynamic as Boler, Casita, Scamp, etc.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #14

Benita, I haven't seen an adjustable-height suspension on a travel trailer; I didn't mean to suggest that it was an option which we could just go out and buy, but that probably wasn't clear.

What I meant was that rather than building or buying a design of body which gives up an enormous amount of living space to allow it to be tilted down to get in a garage, I would rather build or buy a different design of suspension which does something useful, like accommodate changing requirements when parked, traveling, getting into a site, and camped.

For a low-roofed conventional travel trailer shape, I mean something like the Compact, Cadet, or Miti Lite, which have various less-than-standing headroom before extending their tops. The EggCamper Teardropp has that low roof, has that height only in a very narrow area, and offers no option of extension.

Any suspension using air springs can be readily lowered, if sufficient room is allowed in wheel wells and around the suspension parts; all sorts of buses and specialty vehicles do this. I haven't seen it in a travel trailer, but one of Europe's big trailer chassis suppliers (BPW) offers a complete chassis based on one of their common suspensions in an adjustable version (see the third photo down in their Overview of Complete Chassis or their Tandem units with hydraulic raise and lower product sheet). That setup is specifically for tandems of their RONDO axles, but similar approaches can be used with other configurations; it does not need to be hydraulically operated like the BPW system.

Tags
eggcamper