EggCamper still "temporarily closed"? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
EggCamper still "temporarily closed"?

As of today, the EggCamper website still posts the following message: "EGGCAMPER IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED NEW PRODUCTION SCHEDULE YET TO BE ANNOUNCED". It's July! Anyone know if Jim has the shop up and running again and just hasn't updated their website? Or are they truly still closed this late into their manufacturing season? Has anyone with an EggCamper on order communicated with Jim recently about what's going on? Just curious....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:47 AM   #2

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Hi Dale,

I talked to Jim about 2 weeks ago on the phone with a few questions on eggcampers. They are still closed. Jim has had a surgery and cannot do the heavy work. He is looking for a transition plan for the production to somebody else. He did not mention a timeline for this business transition nor a restart of production date.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I went to their site and sent an email to the info@eggcamper.com address. Will be interesting to see if I get a return.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Sorry to hear that about Jim. I hope he manages a secure transition, for both the trailers and himself. Be a shame to lose either.

Walt
Old 07-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I also had e-mailed EggCamper and no response. And I also wish Jim the best....
Old 07-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Name: Nancy & Dan
Trailer: Casita
Michigan
I had contact with the owner about a month ago. I have the same info that Joe has. It has taken longer for him to recover. It really does sound like he wants to get things up and running again soon.
Nancy from MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Name: Crystal
Trailer: 2008 Fun FinderX 160, wanted Eggcamper all electric
Michigan
yep same here, I got an email back 6/3 stating the same doesn't sound good that he is still recovering.....hope he's back and up soon (him and his campers
Old 07-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Sounds like he needs a permanent change to lighter weight work. It does happen. It happened to me when I was only 35 years old. You don't always get back the ability to do heavy lifting after a surgery, I did not.

He has my sympathy.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had wondered about this. I, too, hope he gets up and going again soon. I had wondered after listening to one of the TV video clips about his business if he might be starting look ahead to where the business would go in the future by his comments. Of course, as we age, we all start to look a little ahead to be some what prepared for what may come, maybe an advantage to being younger and feeling invincible. I hope he'll be able to continue working with smaller projects as he is very creative and seems to enjoy that kind of work.

Was glad to find the post, did a search, since I had been wondering also.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #10

Colorado
Any news on Jim's health and the likelihood of more EggCampers being produced in the future? Does anyone happen to have an accurate number on how many EggCampers Jim produced before he had to shut the shop down?
Old 07-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #11

Name: Andrew
Trailer: On the market
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Hi Dale,

I talked to Jim about 2 weeks ago on the phone with a few questions on eggcampers. They are still closed. Jim has had a surgery and cannot do the heavy work. He is looking for a transition plan for the production to somebody else. He did not mention a timeline for this business transition nor a restart of production date.
Has anybody have personal experience with the egg camper? How would you compare them to a little Snoozy, or casita?
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

Colorado
EggCamper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog View Post
Has anybody have personal experience with the egg camper? How would you compare them to a little Snoozy, or casita?
I can't tell you much about the Snoozy or Casity, but in a nutshell, the EggCamper feels bigger and roomier on the inside than it looks from the outside - largely because there is minimal interior cabinetry. That also means there is minimal storage space. There is a nice entry closet, but all the electronics are in the bottom, so you can't really turn it into permanent organized shelving. There are some overhead cabinets, and some floor-level cabinets (mostly under the bed), but nothing at waist height for kitchen/dining utensils, etc. The newer models are all-electric, like our 2010, but that works for us. We love ours for 3- and 4-day weekend outings, but any longer than that and we wish we had more storage space. The best thing is to look at each yourself. There are usually some of all three (plus a ParkLiner, a few Scamps and Escapes, and sometimes a Big Foot) at the Green Eggs & Ham Rally outside Montgomery, AL, in mid-March each year. Come take a look! Dale
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09398.jpg   DSC09400.jpg  

DSC09404.jpg   DSC09405.jpg  

Old 07-27-2017, 05:52 AM   #13

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Any news on Jim's health and the likelihood of more EggCampers being produced in the future? Does anyone happen to have an accurate number on how many EggCampers Jim produced before he had to shut the shop down?
Hi Dale,

I have heard nothing new. As for production numbers, I would "guess" less than 150. I have a 2013 and it is number 120. I think 2014 was the last of em. I wondered the same thing tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog View Post
Hi Andrew,

I've owned a Casita and now an EggCamper. My experience is there are trade offs. No disrespect to the Casita at all, but I prefer the Egg by a lot. Its more for the room and "feeling" inside the camper. The Egg feels like you are sitting in a big room. The Casita more of a narrow hallway. Height and width win in the Egg. I'm almost 6'6". I had to bend my head in the Casita and sleep with knees pulled up. In the Egg I stand straight up with 1" to spare and sleep straight with 4-5 inches to spare!

But as Dale mentioned, that openness comes at a price of storage. You have to do a lot of work on the Egg to get good storage space. I did add shelves in all 3 storage areas, but as Dale mentioned if I need to work on the electrical - I have to remove the shelving. The Casita has a LOT more amenities that the Egg does not. Propane heat and hot water in the Casita are HUGE pluses. The Casita also has bigger tanks. You can add amenities to the the Egg and have the best of both worlds - but at a significant price in modifications. You can read thru my journal in my signature below for some mods I have done to the Egg. Hope this helps!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #14

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Andrew, I see you are in Florida. So are we (or will be when we get back there next month). Our 2010 Eggcamper is going to be for sale next month if you are interested in giving it a look. I will put the "for sale" posting up in the marketplace section of this website when I get it ready. We have a generator and solar so boondocking is possible.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:13 AM   #15

Name: Andrew
Trailer: On the market
Florida
Greetings! This communication through this thread is very tedious, would you mind just emailing me straight away, or call me on my cell phone?:

datsaltydog@gmail.com
786-427-9792
Thanks!
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #16

Colorado
I don't know how long this has been on the EggCamper website, but I just saw this posted in large red font:

"EGGCAMPER IS CLOSED
MOLDS PARTS AND EQUIPMENT TO PRODUCE EGGCAMPERS ,
AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE"

A phone number to call if interested is listed. Perhaps some brave soul will buy the molds and give it a go. We up-sized to a new 2017 Escape 21 a couple years back, but we kept our 2010 EggCamper because we still like it too much to part with it.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I don't know how long this has been on the EggCamper website, but I just saw this posted in large red font:

"EGGCAMPER IS CLOSED
MOLDS PARTS AND EQUIPMENT TO PRODUCE EGGCAMPERS ,
AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE"

A phone number to call if interested is listed. Perhaps some brave soul will buy the molds and give it a go. We up-sized to a new 2017 Escape 21 a couple years back, but we kept our 2010 EggCamper because we still like it too much to part with it.
We also purchased a 21 ft SOB last Fall but hung on to our 2013 17 ft Casita for the same reason . Always nice to have an old reliable friend around
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper