"egging" in winter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
We are about to embark on a new adventure with the arrival of our new Trillium 1300 just before the new year. We are very excited about it since we have always tent camped and we will now have a fiberglass enclosure, our down bags and a furnace to boot. Are we of the naive assumption that we can now camp, even with temperatures in the teens, in our new egg? After browsing this forum over the past few months, I get the impression that egg owners "hang it up" or winterize their rigs for the winter and refrain from camping in the cold. Isn't the beauty of owning an RV, as opposed to a tent, your ability to face the elements in comfort? We pick our Trillium up in California where it is warm, but on the way back in January, through some wintry weather in the midwest, won't a furnace keep us warm in down bags? Are there issues of pipes freezing that we are overlooking since we have never really owned an RV? Please help us out with encouragement or a little discouragement for thinking we can camp in freezing weather.
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have camped in colder weather. In our escape i was ok at minus 10 C. In our Trill same thing. I found the only problem was that furnace ran alot and used lots of propane. Both units were warm and cozy.
One major problem to watch for is condensation. I had lots.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
We are about to embark on a new adventure with the arrival of our new Trillium 1300 just before the new year. We are very excited about it since we have always tent camped and we will now have a fiberglass enclosure, our down bags and a furnace to boot. Are we of the naive assumption that we can now camp, even with temperatures in the teens, in our new egg? After browsing this forum over the past few months, I get the impression that egg owners "hang it up" or winterize their rigs for the winter and refrain from camping in the cold. Isn't the beauty of owning an RV, as opposed to a tent, your ability to face the elements in comfort? We pick our Trillium up in California where it is warm, but on the way back in January, through some wintry weather in the midwest, won't a furnace keep us warm in down bags? Are there issues of pipes freezing that we are overlooking since we have never really owned an RV? Please help us out with encouragement or a little discouragement for thinking we can camp in freezing weather.
YUP--- camping in the winter is fun... The biggest problem you will have is water freezing (voice of experience.... ) Coldest I have been in was about 10 degrees (F) at nite. My Mr Heater was going on low, which made it comfortable for sleeping. Buuut, the water jugs I had under the bed 3-4 feet directly in front of Mr Heater froze. If I would have had water in the tank, lines, etc, it would have been ice also... Condensation was a challenge also, making my clothes in the cupboards damp, so whatever was to be worn in the morning to go hunting had to be out where semi-warmth was. Also, the condensation froze on the walls, freezing my extra trousers to the wall.... and my pillow above my head also froze to the wall. What a hoot!!! Good thing Carrie wasn't along that time. Yes, you will use more propane than Summer camping but, so what? It will be a lot warmer than a tent and it comes with a stove for quick coffee in the morning- just lean out and light the fire under the waiting coffee pot. And your wine stays chilled. Larry (the only reason the Scamp is parked is that I have run out of hunting seasons-just got back last Sunday- but it's still packed if I get a call!!!!)
edit: oh, and you have to worry about your food and things will freeze in solid with your ice in the ice chest!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0573__Small_.JPG   SANY0235__Small_.JPG  

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
I personally love winter camping and think it can be a fun experience. I have done lots of winter camping in my 13', temps in the teens. The egg will keep you much warmer than a popup trailer. The furnace will keep you plenty warm, but battery drain might be a problem - those furnaces will run down a battery really fast, especially in cold temps. I use an Olympian Catalytic heater, which uses no battery and it keeps the trailer nice and warm. As Chester stated, condensation can accumulate inside a heater trailer - make sure to ventilate.

I have never had a problem with water lines freezing, but in my 13', but it is only a simple system of a holding tank and a sink - both inside the trailer. If you have holding tanks, you should put some of the pink RV antifreeze into your holding tanks to keep them from freezing.

Another trick is to turn down your refer to it's lowest setting - they tend to freeze food in cold weather.

Good, warm sleeping bags and you will be fine.
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape
Hi there,
We camped 8 years (505 nights)in our Northern Lite, and 115 nights in our new 2008 Escape in this past year. In winter, the trick is to keep some source of outside air (cracked window or vent) so that will reduce condensation which will be on windows and can be in closed cupboards. We leave cupboard open to reduce this. For water we fill the tank and use the water pump 'cuz a hose on the ground will definately freeze, overnight especially. Sewer hose we don't leave out eather, just dump and put away. Other possible freezing may depend on the hose locations in your rig, but we have never had problems. I think that just using it and having the heat on inside helps. I would bet that the down bags will be way too much. We keep our rig at about 65 overnight and use ordinary sheets and blankets. In winter some flannel sheets and some pieces of fleece to lay by the wall for the person next to the outside.
We have never pulled in snow or ice. I understand that if you don't have chains on the trailer you run the risk of having the trailer swing around and hit the car if you try to stop. I don't intent to check!
Yes, eggs are great year round.
Welcome to the fun!
Louise B
Louise B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Lloyd... What's wrong with winter you ask??? Why
Dashing thru the snow
Lil white EGG in tow,
O'er the fields we go
Screaming as we plow.

Bells I thought I heard
The guy in front's a nerd,
Didn't signal for his turn
Winter towing's really hard!

Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
Quote:
Hi: Lloyd... What's wrong with winter you ask??? Why
Dashing thru the snowwill
Lil white EGG in tow,
O'er the fields we go
Screaming as we plow.

Bells I thought I heard
The guy in front's a nerd,
Didn't signal for his turn
Winter towing's really hard!

Alf,I get it....great tune.....I don't think I will hold back on winter camping...can't wait to be toasty warm with the furnace in some sparsely populated state park Not that we are hermits but there is something very nice about picking any campsite you wish. We did that in Kings Canyon Nat'l Park one December long ago. We were the only ones in the campground for two weeks.... in a tent! Can't wait to try an egg exposed to the elements. By the way, where do you live on the North Shore? Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Aww the heck with it--- Scamp is still packed, we're leaving in the morning for another hunting trip. Maybe there'll be more snow this time! Life is good when one can leave for a late camping/hunting trip at the drop of a hat. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #9

Registry
Hi: Lloyd... We're about 4 min's north of Pt.Stanley on the 5th. Concession, a few miles to the west of Springwater Conservation area. Normally we miss the snow "eggcept" when the wind is from the south!!! Today we got 2 1/2 "
Old 11-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Ahhh! Those were the days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter_Camping.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	16809
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Aww the heck with it--- Scamp is still packed, we're leaving in the morning for another hunting trip. Maybe there'll be more snow this time! Life is good when one can leave for a late camping/hunting trip at the drop of a hat. Larry
If snow is what you want, come to Wyoming!!
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:21 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Hi: Pamela... "WY"??? We got our own TODAY!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We used our UHaul Vacationer for March camping last year for a week in Pine Ridge, South Dakota. Temps were in the low 20's at night and 30's during the day. We ran our propane Wave heater to get the trailer warm when coming back from a day out, and ran our small electric heater to keep it nice during the night (we had 110 availability). With a couple quilts and a sleeping bag thrown over the top for added warmth, we were very toasty. We didn't try to use any onboard water system, instead using a small plastic water container for occasional usage. We are planning to do it again this coming March when we volunteer to rehab homes and build beds for the folks in Pine Ridge. This is with a group that has a bunk house for groups to stay, but we found the VT to be our own little private room away from the hustle and bustle of high school and college kids. We didn't have to cook in the trailer, but we certainly could have with the propane range and small microwave.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:

OK! I like a good joke. But it's been comming down off and on since last night. Wanna trade?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
See Winter Camping (under Tutorials, on the navigation bar at left).
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote