Eggs still a 'novelty' to many...... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Eggs still a 'novelty' to many......

Once again, the little egg draws the curious. I took our Escape to the local RV shop yesterday to get bearings packed, brakes checked, etc. as we had not had that done since we bought it spring '08 and it's a 5 year old trailer. (Ugh, turns out the brake shoes were shot, good to know and replace, but a more expensive visit than planned). The folks at the RV shop, nice folks, we've done business with them before, but they are not familiar with FGRVs, like most they only know Scamp and Casita, personally they think FGRVs are just too small. They tell us that while the Escape sat outside their shop a number of people stopped to ask about it, wanting to know what it was, etc.

I see more FGRVs in driveways around here (this is a rural area) and certainly more on the road in the summer, being a popular vacation area, but even to those in the RV business, our little eggs are still considered a novelty and represent a small 'niche' market.

In talking to the shop owner I realized to most the more you get for your money the better, buying something small when you can get 'more for your money' to buy a stick built doesn't make sense to a lot of folks. That is an American mindset, or value, that is slowly changing, and the increase interest in FGRVs is a good indicator. The RV shop guy did say fiberglass will last forever if taken care of, all the vintage trailers on this site attests to that.

I hope I live long enough to be the proud owner of a 'vintage' Escape!
Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #2

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Another reason they are not popular is that they are generally only sold direct from the factory. You don't see new FGRVs at dealerships or at many RV shows. Not many people are willing to drive 3,000 miles to take a look at them... and especially when it could be three months or more to wait for it to be built. It is a tough business model. I guess Scamp and Casita are doing alright... but they don't seem to have much room for expansion. Of course, they would be even more expensive with a dealer markup added on.

As Americans, we are still basking in the SUV/pickup truck glow. Even on this FGRV forum, you see people upsizing their camper, then having to upsize their tow vehicle. Most people are a little too tempted to get "more for their money" when it is dangled in front of them. Just like going to the dealership to buy a 4-cylinder car and ending up with the V6... only to regret the lower fuel economy for the next five years (I have seen that happen to friends and family more than once.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #3

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
For myself being new to the FGRV's, I was originally looking at teardrops, specifically ones built locally in my area called LittleGuy. However, I guess I looked at the utility, size and durability of these (mine is a Uhaul CT) and found that for less money than a used teardrop I could purchase the CT, have the ability to stand up, sleep 4, cook, watch tv, etc. yet still have something small and unobtrusive enough to park in my drive and not have the neighbors complaining (technically no RV, boats allowed to be stored in drives in my neighborhood) however several people have class C's and boats and this is small enough to pass muster rather than a 20-30 footer. For me finding these FGRV's was a PERFECT fit (I guess I'm niche, LOL). I also am attracted to the odd and unique type of items.

For instance here was a neat FG kit car I found years ago and HAD to have, I have since sold it but it like the CT was a head turner (called a Kelmark GT, Ferrari Dino replica)

Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #4

Maryland
Nice... Did you tow the Burro with it? Now THAT would turn heads!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
When I first decided to get back into camping by myself back in early 2003, I wanted to start out small. I stopped by at my local 'Super RV' lot, and couldn't find anything shorter than 19feet. The salesman told me that the factories couldn't make enough money on small trailers. So then I went to a couple of RV shows and the trailers there were even bigger and the prices were outrageous ! I found two little popups over in a lonely corner, but that was it.
After that, I turned to searching the internet, and (here's where the inspirational music starts) discovered RV Forum. Within a few months I had a little CT of my own.
FG Forum can take a HUGE amount of credit for 'eggsposing' so many people to soooo many 'eggcellent eggcampers' - Great job guys and gals, and thanks !
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
ust like going to the dealership to buy a 4-cylinder car and ending up with the V6... only to regret the lower fuel economy for the next five years (I have seen that happen to friends and family more than once.
And I've seen the opposite happen. People buy a 4 to save money and then regret it when they find out they can't tow with it or pass or merge with enough speed to feel safe. It works both ways.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Yes, the eggs still draw attention, but seem to be just about everywhere. We're finishing up a 7000 mile plus trip, and though I can't say we saw eggs at every stop, it was surprising last week in Plumtree NC to find our planned group of six with another Casita up the hill. Plumtree (so very small) isn't even on a lot of maps....

Maybe because we spent a lot of time in Canada this trip, we saw more... or, just because we look more closely now. We spotted eggs in every province and state, camping and driving.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
My wife and I are logntime backpackers who got to the age where we needed a solid wall to get up in the morning. ;-) It came to a choice between quitting camping altogether, or finding an alternative. The U-Haul CT13 was a perfect solution, and we have camped with it from coast to coast. We stay in primitive campgrounds, mostly USFS. Now in our 70s, we still enjoy the quiet, the campfires, the sense of independent travel.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #9

Maryland
I can't wait to do more primitive camping... my Scamp doesn't have a 12v system, currently... that it going to be one of my winter projects.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #10

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
And I've seen the opposite happen. People buy a 4 to save money and then regret it when they find out they can't tow with it or pass or merge with enough speed to feel safe. It works both ways.
I suppose it could work both ways... but I think a lot of that has to do with unrealistic expectations. My little 1.8 liter Toyota engine puts out the same horsepower as the original Porsche 911.

A lot of people have similar expectations when towing is involved. My cousin wanted to buy a horse trailer... the kind with room for two horses plus a room for people. She wanted a truck that had enough power that she "wouldn't feel any difference" when towing the trailer or not. She abandoned the whole idea when she was told that even with a Cummins diesel, she would feel the trailer back there.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
FG Forum can take a HUGE amount of credit for 'eggsposing' so many people to soooo many 'eggcellent eggcampers' - Great job guys and gals, and thanks !
And thank YOU for the kind words, Pam!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote