Elbert - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Attachment 57263

Got the Solar panel off today.

Looks like the grommet has had it. I have a plan to superglue 1/4 inch piece of pipe around the thing to keep out the water.

And there are some gaps here around the Fantastic Fan.
After you clean it up real good with TSP, I'd invest in a roll of butyl caulk. It is what you need to seal both the vent and the wire going into the roof.
__________________

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
TSP ? And how about this set up? I have to get this goop out from around the vent before I can start any repairs there.
__________________

__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
TSP ? And how about this set up? I have to get this goop out from around the vent before I can start any repairs there.
Yea, the tri-sodium phosphate really makes short work of algae and dirt.

ToolKing.com: Savogran Co 10622 Heavy-Duty TSP All-Purpose Cleaner - 4-1/2 lb.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2783428924.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	57268

Carpet is down to check where it is leaking.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-898098726.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	57269

Looks like a good place to start looking.

Looks like the wire has had water coming in around it too. I bet there is water coming in around the fan and running back looking like the panel bolts. I hope they are ok so I don't have to replace them.
__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Posts: 630
Registry
Wow Chris,you've got a big project going there. You're doing a great job and I know it will be beautiful when you're finished. You'll make many great memories in your Uhaul. Getting a travel trailer that needs a lot of TLC like you have, will make you appreciate it all the more and give you a lot of personal satisfaction. Keep those pix coming.
__________________
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #62
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1578590399.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	57331

Yep! Here is one of the leaks! But with the pipe and super glue there is no leak at the wire!
__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 4,333
Is that a water drop at the screw head? I had to remove one of the solar panel rails to get the panel off, then put the rail back on with butyl tape. That was easier than filling all the screw holes. Covered the wire hole with fiberglass cloth and resin. No more solar panel for us.
__________________
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Is that a water drop at the screw head? I had to remove one of the solar panel rails to get the panel off, then put the rail back on with butyl tape. That was easier than filling all the screw holes. Covered the wire hole with fiberglass cloth and resin. No more solar panel for us.
Yep thats water. i took about a cup up on top and poured it around and this is what i got! Gonna put my solar panel back on, so I will have to get the holes sealed up. Shouldn't be too hard.
__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Yep thats water. i took about a cup up on top and poured it around and this is what i got! Gonna put my solar panel back on, so I will have to get the holes sealed up. Shouldn't be too hard.
I put butyl putty around the hole, under the head of the elevator bolt and over the top of the exposed, threaded end of the bolt. No more leak.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
So what about lighting the mounts up just a bit to allow for any water trapped under the panel to drain and not stand under it? Water running off has a less chance to find a way in. Or at least I think so. Or do you think that will put too much stress on the points of contact. That might be why there is the foam mount between the mounting rail and the roof, to kind of spread the load.
__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
So what about lighting the mounts up just a bit to allow for any water trapped under the panel to drain and not stand under it? Water running off has a less chance to find a way in. Or at least I think so. Or do you think that will put too much stress on the points of contact. That might be why there is the foam mount between the mounting rail and the roof, to kind of spread the load.
My experience is that the hole needs to be sealed. If there is water present, it will wick through the smallest hole, whether it is from a standing pool of water or a steady mist. Leaving good contact between the roof and bracket will make it stronger, especially if you decide, like me, to use it to mount a larger panel.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
Plan is to stay with the stock panel. Not sure the stock controller will run a larger one. I do like the board you put under your seat with the volt/amp meters. Is that something you would consider building for others to install in their units? If so you could PM me with your price. I can't find your post where you described it, but I remember thinking to myself "self, you need to get with him on that one there!"
__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Plan is to stay with the stock panel. Not sure the stock controller will run a larger one. I do like the board you put under your seat with the volt/amp meters. Is that something you would consider building for others to install in their units? If so you could PM me with your price. I can't find your post where you described it, but I remember thinking to myself "self, you need to get with him on that one there!"
The stock controller is a dinosaur in terms of electronics, but you can buy a new one fairly cheaply, if you go Chinese. Or get a brand name for about $50. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846


Thanks for the kind words on the control panel, but I really am not interested in making or selling anything. Too much like work for an old retired guy.

I would be glad to give you a parts / source list and help with any questions.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
Chris Jones's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Posts: 242
Registry
New carpet is in. Windows do not leak. Solar is on and does not leak. Electrical now has two brakers and the 12 and 110 are no longer on the same switch. Screens are riveted back on. Got to finish scrubbing the outside because my first weekend in it will be this one! There is a large VW show in Chattanooga and ELBERT will be my accommodations.
__________________

__________________
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.