Electric Blanket - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #15

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842
I attempted to re-run my test using a smaller Inverter, a 400 watt inverter.

The electric blanket reported an error when I plugged into the 400 watt inverter though it works perfectly fine on the 1200 watt Inverter. Both Inverters are non sine wave Inverters.
Probably due to the initial draw of the blanket (inrush current ) being to much for the smaller inverter and causing a voltage drop giving you the error.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I'm not saying that an electric blanket can't be used with an inverter, but that there have been enough reports by RVers that have had problems that I feel it was worth mentioning.

As to using an electric blanket, I feel it is a great idea. I have a rather expensive 120v input, low voltage output blanket from Amazon. My wife was nervous about a full voltage blanket, but felt this one was OK. I have a full size 1 controller version. I have not had the opportunity to try it on an inverter, but it works great on AC.

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Andy,
It doesn't seem to be the in rush current. The cold resistance is 144 ohms which equates to about 100 watts cold at the max power setting.

I went out and tried it on a 100 watt inverter and it ran just fine at both high and low settings. There's something about the 400 watt Xantrex Inverter that makes the electric blankets controller report an error.

As a test I ran the TV on the 400 watt inverter and it operated just fine.

Jon,
We typically use the blanket on AC but will be doing some boondocking on our loop of the USA and will want to use the blanket with expectations of a cold winter.

If I had been smarter at the time of purchase I would have bought a 12 volt electric blanket and not even need the Inverter or AC.

We've been using the Inverters, mostly the 1200 watt and 100 watt for 5 years for our off grid camping without any Inverter issues. On the 1200 watter the highest wattage load is 600 watts for the coffee pot. We often use the 100 watter for computer or cell phones in the tow vehicle or the TV and Satellite Receiver at night.

Basically the low voltage blanket is a 12-18 volt blanket that has a transformer in plug, much like a computer charger.

Thanks for the thoughts

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm,
CW has the 12V versions on sale for $16 here Worldwide Merchandise Company - 12-Volt Travel Blanket - RV Linens & Sleep Systems - Camping World
Old 09-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #19

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Norm, your blanket probably doesn't like the voltage or signal it's getting from that inverter. Weird. If the blankets work on the other 1200 watt inverter use it. I also use an inverter electric blanket and a solar battery maintainer. Never had a prob. Then again I don't run much. Cook on campfire or gas, no TV. Sat radio has minimal draw and is far more entertaining than television.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I love my electric blanket when camping in the "cold" weather. Crank it up on high about 15 minutes before bedtime. Climb in and get warm, then lean over and unplug it. Hang the cord over the drawer pull next to the electric outlet. If I wake up in the middle of the night because I'm cold I can plug it back in for a few minutes, then unplug it again. I don't sleep under it when it's "on." I plan on taking it to the NOG next month.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #21

Florida
Andy, That 400 watt Inverter is wierd.

We are hooked on UConn women's basketball and would have TV for that alone though there are a few shows we like and particularly movies. As a result we carry a sat dish.

We're on the road so much that TV is part of our way of keeping in touch with the world along with the Internet. It turns out that our TV service also provides many ad free music stations like our sat radio.

This year we've added a Nook e-book allowing us to down load books from our library, down load free books from Barnes and Noble, and share books with our Nooks friends and relatives. Really handy when we're on the road for months.

Electronics has made the road west (east, south and north) easier......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 AM   #22

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
I enjoy using my electric blanket at home; I agree the aging bones prefer getting into a warm bed. However, in my Trillium I find an open cold weather sleeping bag for the base layer and comforter for the top cover works great. I use a hot water bottle to warm the bed before I get in. The discomfort for me occurs when I have to get out of a warm bed and into a trailer that is only a few degrees warmer than the exterior temps unless I leave the furnace on all night. I usually roll over in the morning to start the furnace and roll back for another half hour until the trailer has warmed up enough.
Good luck with your experiments; you have my interest.
Barrie
Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #23

Florida
Sleeping

Barrie,
Like you we sleep with the heat off except for the blanket. When we're powered, we turn on the electric heater when we wake. If not powered its the propane heater and the making of breakfast that warms the place up.

In general if we know we now outside temperatures are going below freezing we seek an electric hookup.

We've never seen the inside temperature drop below freezing though we've camped below freezing. The lowest inside temperature was 36F.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #24

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
As a child we visited a family members' farm and they heated bricks in the woodstove to put in the beds. I use two small Dollar Store hot water bottles...seems to work well warming the bed but we are dependant upon body heat and sleeping bags once the water cools.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #25

Florida
Body Heat

dependant upon body heat

Body heat is usually enough because we typically set the balnket very low before we go to sleep or during the night. When we get in it's always on maximum (pre-heat) for the first 10 minutes. (It's always good for body heat to start warm, particularly for old people, that's me.)

Safe and warm travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #26

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
dependant upon body heat

Body heat is usually enough because we typically set the balnket very low before we go to sleep or during the night. When we get in it's always on maximum (pre-heat) for the first 10 minutes. (It's always good for body heat to start warm, particularly for old people, that's me.)

Safe and warm travels
Thanks... we too fall into the retirees and eligible for senior discounts category. Cold is an issue as is the availability of a porta-potti. Don't know that I have room to store the blanket as we have to bring clothes which although few in number (I'm a minimalist by nature) will work in the Texas heat and, on our return, in Canada's December weather.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm,
with your solar and meter in place, I'd be curious as to amp draw your blanket pulls from your battery and estimate for a full nights use. Also are you planning to install another battery now that you have 2 solar panels and excess charging capacity?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #28

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Norm,
with your solar and meter in place, I'd be curious as to amp draw your blanket pulls from your battery and estimate for a full nights use. Also are you planning to install another battery now that you have 2 solar panels and excess charging capacity?
Jim,
When my watt meter comes I'll measure the current draw for the electric blanket and report in. I really think it's relatively insignificant over a night.

I have not considered a second battery but when or if this one fails I'll probably go to a larger battery. The present one is a type 24. Today I've been working in the trailer because it's pouring. Even with most of the lights on and the fridge fan running it doesn't seem to have had any real impact on the battery voltage.

I must admit I am anxious to get the watt meter and understand in more detail the true current draw of things and the ability of the panels to keep the battery charged.

Beyond pouring we lost power about an hour ago.

I will say it's nice to have a computer that runs about 9 hours on a charge.

Stay dry

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16