Electric Blanket - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I definitely think one can do it.
I tried running game Mine off our cigarette lighter 150 watt inverter.

The electric blanket's screen controller did not like the no - sine wave output of the inverter. This is the first electronic device I've found that didn't like these inverters.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #42

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It seems kinda ironic that a restive heating appliance is the first thing you found that objects to a modified sine wave inverter. The simplest possible application. I realize it is the controls, but still.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Not intending to hijack the thread, but to offer another alternative. But, I much prefer snuggling to get warm. It only takes a few minutes, and then the bed is toasty warm, even when air temps are down near freezing. Oh, and it offers other benefits that electric blankets can't too.

On a side note, even sleeping solo, a flannel blanket and a down comforter warm up real fast. Wool blankets can keep you nice and warm, but they take way longer to warm up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #44

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Dog at the foot of the bed to pre-warm is also nice, gently slide feet down, dog scoots over, warm spot for feet with canine heat source still cuddled there to continue the goodness.

That said DW is cold at 73 degrees so this electric blanket experiment has my interest.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #45

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I definitely think one can do it.
I tried running game Mine off our cigarette lighter 150 watt inverter.

The electric blanket's screen controller did not like the no - sine wave output of the inverter. This is the first electronic device I've found that didn't like these inverters.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
I had seen this in several places, that others in RVs had problems w/ electric blankets on inverters. PSW type inverter is on my list because of that. No worries about it frying anything else then, either!.
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #46

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My wife makes flannel bags with about a kilo of rice and some cinnamon. Our old house gets kinda cold, so it is a bed time ritual to microwave each bag for 2-3 minuets and send the kids to bed warm. I have yet to put the little 700W microwave in the trailer, but I think the kids, and wife would appreciate it. The 1000W inverter I have pulls the voltage on the battery so low, that the microwave runs, but does not heat much. The two 95 Ahr batteries should be able to run it for at least an hour.

I guess I need a better inverter. Since I only paid like $40 for it, I should not expect too much.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #47

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I understand the concept of wanting to stay warm and not use the noisy propane furnace..
And yes you can run an electric blanket with an inventor and recharge with your solar panels and you aren't going to use it nightly however....
The weak link in the system is your battery.. Why would you continually subject it to a 50% discharge rate or lower as could happen while you're asleep. I guess the good news is the low voltage setting on the inventor should shut down the unit.
The cardinal rule of small solar is nothing with a heating element
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #48

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
What size inverters do most of you have? I need to get one just for the tv/vcr, and charging a few things at night.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #49

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
I understand the concept of wanting to stay warm and not use the noisy propane furnace..
And yes you can run an electric blanket with an inventor and recharge with your solar panels and you aren't going to use it nightly however....
The weak link in the system is your battery.. Why would you continually subject it to a 50% discharge rate or lower as could happen while you're asleep. I guess the good news is the low voltage setting on the inventor should shut down the unit.
The cardinal rule of small solar is nothing with a heating element
My thought is that when it's REALLY cold, we're on shore power. Can use a space heater then. But there's marginal weather where we'd be boondocking, and realistically thinking if I could get 2 nights out of a battery, that'd be fine. Looking like if I get a single 150ah Trojan 12V battery, I'd be good for a couple days with 2 nights of elec blanket use. That doesn't sound so crazy to do 2-3 times a year, and I'd still be staying above 50% discharge or so.
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #50

New Brunswick
.. But then again a Trojan is not your typical RV battery.. And the weight and placement is another consideration.. Etc etc..
I like staying warm too and it's no big deal really, occasionally running the battery down.. Just saying not a good way to treat your battery which is the heart of your electrical system.

And I'm sure Norm is doing all the required research.. He's a pretty thorough guy taking care of his trailer.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Down comforter. That's all I have to say.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #52

New Brunswick
I agree on the down comforter.. That's what we use
Old 01-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #53

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Yes on the down comforters. We have a winter one and a summer one. Saw flannel sheets mentioned and they are pretty good but being cotton they can still be a bit uncomfortable in damp conditions. Has anyone tried fleece sheets? We have 3 sets of them. Polyester fleece of the kind you find in jackets and other outerwear. They are really warm, along with the down duvet, they are winning combo in the winter.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #54

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Yump! Fleece sheets are where it's at! For home and the camper.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #55

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
Hot water bottle in a fleece sleeve! Will keep your feet warm all night....set a kettle on the stove before bed, fill 'er up and tuck it in the bottom of the bed under the top sheets. Ahhhhh.warm tootsies!
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #56

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
fleece sheets for us. have them on all beds all winter in the house and a set for the camper. couldn't live without them. haven't tried an electric blanket but carry a little heater all the time. we've used our furnace many nights in temps as low as -15C. no problems aside from a bit of condensation (left the window and roof vent open a bit).

however, i think the next purchase for us will be an electric mattress pad. that'd warm up the bed, which is the coldest part of the whole sleep experience....the top covers warm quickly. we'll not sleep on our memory foam topper ever again in cold weather without it being warmed....as it is like concrete once it gets cold!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #57

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran L View Post
Hot water bottle in a fleece sleeve! Will keep your feet warm all night....set a kettle on the stove before bed, fill 'er up and tuck it in the bottom of the bed under the top sheets. Ahhhhh.warm tootsies!
This would most definitely not be for me. I tend to regulate my body temperature by how far I hang my feet out from under the blankets. I hates sweaty feets.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #58

Name: Fran
Trailer: None now - had 2 Scamps and 1 Escape
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This would most definitely not be for me. I tend to regulate my body temperature by how far I hang my feet out from under the blankets. I hates sweaty feets.
My feet NEVER get sweaty...just cold. I even use a hot water bottle at home in bed. Warms up my side without overheating Dave's side. In the camper it is a life-saver!
Fran L is offline   Reply With Quote