Electrical question????? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
All I have is a plug looks like the 12v plug but has a 9v label on it, no special electronics.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
ok, I'll keep them separate, thanks

Old 08-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I have never seen a cigarette lighter type plug used for any voltage except 12VDC input. Usually the center pin is positive but I have found that switched. On the other end anything goes. That is, center can be positive or negative. For voltages lower than 12v they could have a simple voltage divider (resistors) for a dedicated adapter or a switcher like David suggests. One way to tell is to put an AM radio next to it. Any switching electronics will produce all kinds of harmonics which will radiate for a short distance. It's good to know as they can interfere not just with radios but computers, cell phones, GPS receivers, ect. . Raz
Old 08-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #18

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I have a few adapters that plug into a 12vdc lighter socket and then the output voltage is switchable to match various devices. Further there are several adapters to match the different device inputs and they can be turned too for polarity observation.

There are lots of times where you will want to connect a non-12vdc device to 12vdc in an RV.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'll try to post some pictures later...got dinner on stove
Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #20

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Sounds like good advice being given so far. A few comments:
1. Devices that should run on 12V should be run on 12V and not 9V or most other voltages.
2. Current expressed in Amps or mA (a 1000mA is 1Amp is 1A) on the power supply needs to be equal or greater than the maximum of the device that is using the power.
3. Polarity is important with DC circuits! I always check it. I have devices that look identical except for the label that tells you what is + and -. Note that you can always switch the polarity around if you are handy with cutting stripping and reconnecting wires.
4. If you understand the supply and the device being powered well enough, you can mix supply/device voltages without harm (hooking 12V or 9V supplies to 9V or 12V devices in random combinations for example). However, generally this information is not easily available so you run a notable risk in doing so and should generally "not be tried at home". But I have been known to tear things apart just to find out .
5. Switching power supplies are generally nosier than linear power supplies and can interfere with other electronics (GPS, radios....). The AM/FM radio test is useful. If it fails that test, it is a cheap/poorly designed power supply. Realize even if it passes you may have trouble with other devices (GPS...). However, well designed ones do not cause these issues. For example, automakers put numerous switching power supplies in cars with and without shielding and typically test very thoroughly to make sure there are no issues.
6. I agree with Ed that a set of adapters and various voltages can be useful. I have used those also.

Tags
electrical