Eliminate the blind spot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Very good article on setting up you mirrors to eliminate the blind spot.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...to/4234574.html

Adjust the driver’s seat to the correct position. Lean your head and torso over to the left until your head contacts the window glass. I know, that seems too far. But trust me. Now, adjust the left-side mirror outward until you can barely see your own fender in it. Next, lean over to the right a similar distance, and adjust the right-side mirror so you can just see your own rear fender. Sit up straight. Your mirrors are now set to allow you to see other cars in your blind spot. You won’t need to swivel your neck around to be aware of traffic hiding at 60 mph right beside you. And the interior mirror will still let you see the traffic directly behind.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Very good article on setting up you mirrors to eliminate the blind spot.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...to/4234574.html

To adjust the driver’s seat to the correct position. Lean your head and torso over to the left until your head contacts the window glass. I know, that seems too far. But trust me. Now, adjust the left-side mirror outward until you can barely see your own fender in it. Next, lean over to the right a similar distance, and adjust the right-side mirror so you can just see your own rear fender. Sit up straight. Your mirrors are now set to allow you to see other cars in your blind spot. You won’t need to swivel your neck around to be aware of traffic hiding at 60 mph right beside you. And the interior mirror will still let you see the traffic directly behind.
If have been adjusting my side mirrors like this for 20+ years, it works great. I don't use the leaning my head method, but my mirrors are set so when I am sitting normal, I can't see the side of the vehicle, I can see the lane beside me, if I need to see the side of my vehicle, I just move my head to one side or the other. Someone a long time ago mentioned "Why do you need to see the side of your car? Are you worried it is going somewhere without you?", it was strange at first, but now I find it strange to see the side of my truck when I drive.

This works great, as a vehicle is coming up behind you in the other lane, you can see them in the rear view mirror, then as they start disappearing out of that mirror you can see them in the side mirror, then as they start disappearing out of the side mirror, you can see them beside you.

I have been driving this whole time without a "blind spot", I can see very well with this type of setup.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Just recognize that while towing, most states' mirror laws require that your mirrors be adjusted so you can see some distance (usually 200') immediately behind the trailer. Your inside rear-view mirror is obstructed by the trailer, so you must adjust your outside mirrors appropriately. When towing, mirrors adjusted out to cover your "blind spot" may not be adjusted so you are in compliance. I have found that the small 2" stick-on convex mirrors set in the outer lower corner of the mirrors work well to allow for both covering the "blind spot" and being able to have the mirrors adjusted to comply with the requirements set out by law.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
That guy following STILL is so close that I can only see his shadow on the pavement. I want a bumper sticker that disclaims his use of me as a personal hood ornament.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote